Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground car parks: do residents suffer with noise?

Options
  • 21-06-2015 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Many apartment blocks have underground car parks. Does this
    create a noise problem for the residents on the ground
    floor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I haven't lived in such a property, but I can't imagine it being a particular problem - you would mostly be dealing with airborne noise (which tends not to transmit through the structure), not impact noise.

If the property was immediately next to / above the entrance it would be of more of an issue, especially with automated gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭mvt

I'd say it would be a nuisance.

You have drains with grates that I can hear from the 5th floor when a car goes over them.

And don't get me started on the wheelie bin collection :)

More fairly I think it would just depend where the ground floor apt would be located & that you would probably get used to it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

I lived in a ground floor apartment in college over an underground car park and it never caused me any bother and I'd be the type that would be sensitive to loud noises at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I lived on a ground floor apartment for a year above an underground car park and never once heard a sound

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not in my experience. Though in my experience, ground floor apartments with underground parking are freezing. Waking up in the morning and putting your feet onto the icy cold floor.... back to bed so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have a top floor but know a friend with a ground floor, above the carpark. The cars don't cause much noise themselves, but the shutter on the carpark entrance opening and closing drives them nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Dilisk wrote:
    Many apartment blocks have underground car parks. Does this create a noise problem for the residents on the ground floor?

Never...living on ground floor with parking below....no such noise issues !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

lived in a groundfloor apartment with car park underneath, no issues with noise OP

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We didn't have noise issues, but when we had our balcony doors open, we could hear other people's conversations echoing through the Carpark and up the grates... Some folk didn't realise how far their voices carried.

I'd second the line about heating; our heating bill almost doubled, and it still didn't feel warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'm a couple floors up and I find it noisy when the ventilation system starts up in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Occasional problem with people playing music loudly in their car while working on it, I can hear the base.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement