Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Devastation (Platinum Games)

Options
  • 15-06-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭

Celebrated Japanese action game studio Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising) has been named as the developer of a new cartoony Transformers action game - Transformers Devastation.

The naming was done by huge US retailer Best Buy, in a page since taken down. Members of NeoGAF caught it.

"PlatinumGames signature fast action allows instant robot to vehicle attacks, slam downs, counter-attacks, and infinite combos for a unique master combat system," the product description apparently said.

Current and old consoles were named (PS3/360, PS4/XO) as the platforms, five Autobots as the playable characters - Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, Wheeljack and Grimlock - and "deep customisation" promised.

Actors from the original Transformers TV series will apparently reprise their speaking roles, including Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime), Dan Gilvezan (Bubblebee), and Frank Welker (Megatron and Soundwave).

There is no official confirmation available at this time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-15-cartoony-new-transformers-game-bears-platinum-games-name

788x443

788x443

788x443

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That reminds me I need to try out that Legend of Korra game.

And MGR on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So is this like just a beat um up....Or is it more streets of rage style

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

pretty meh on this. The High Moon games were great, good fun to play, engaging story, cool visuals. This looks like a big step back tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So, this is out tomorrow, can't wait! Very few reviews but people in the states seem to be very happy with it even though it's only 4hours long but as usual with platinum games there is a lot of replay value.

I'm gonna get it for ps3 cause the ps4 version is like twice the price, no idea why. So €30 is a decent price to me.

Anyone else looking forward to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I'll definitely pick it up at some stage, don't think I'll shell out 50 quid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Is it on PC ?

I enjoyed Fall of Cybertron on PC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Going to wait for reviews. Legend of Korra was only ok and I'm a bit worried it might be from the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Going to wait for reviews. Legend of Korra was only ok and I'm a bit worried it might be from the same team.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/10/round_up_transformers_devastation_ps4_reviews_start_rolling_out

Yup it's on everything except WiiU sadly. Would love it on WiiU but I'll settle for ps3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Review seems odd for a transformers game, an awful lot of talk of some chaps face :)

This game isn't in Argos or much of anywhere by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gonna pick this up, it's basically my childhood, but will wait for a price drop, it will not hold its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xenji wrote: »
    Gonna pick this up, it's basically my childhood, but will wait for a price drop, it will not hold its value.

For the sake of your childhood (and Platinum Games) I think you should push the boat out & buy it at full-price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    For the sake of your childhood (and Platinum Games) I think you should push the boat out & buy it at full-price!

Picking up Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestiria and Disgaea 5 next week, the wallet can only go so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

watched some streams of it...seemed ok.
    Don't know if it's worth at 50 though

Ah, it looks very basic. Not a patch on the High Moon Games. Shame they aren't making any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Played a bit of this in a mates house and its pretty meh and totally a case of style over substance. The comic book cover like graphics do look amazing but there are only two main game locations, city streets and Cybertron corridors.

This along with limited enemies and a very limited for a melee based game, attack move list leaves you with a game thats not a patch on the previous transformers games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As much as I love G1 transformers, this had the look of a 15 euro XBL/PSN game rather than a full price title. A shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm definitely interested in this one. Not in too much of a rush though.

As an aside, the High Moon games were great. I know the Studio's in a bit of a state, but is there any reason activision never continued the series, even under a different studio? i remember hearing they took High Moon assets for ROTDS but i never bothered with the movie games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm definitely interested in this one. Not in too much of a rush though.

As an aside, the High Moon games were great. I know the Studio's in a bit of a state, but is there any reason activision never continued the series, even under a different studio? i remember hearing they took High Moon assets for ROTDS but i never bothered with the movie games.
    ROTDS was actually a crossover between the movie and High Moon's Cybertron series. Unfortunately contracting the project out to Edge of Reality didn't end particularly well so I too avoided it after seeing reviews despite loving the previous games. From what I remember, sales weren't exactly spectacular so that wouldn't have helped the chances of the series being continued.

As for High Moon and why they didn't get the project, well from news reports at the time as well as some Glassdoor reviews, it seems the company got big enough for two projects, War for Cybertron and Deadpool. There were, however, still a lot of contractors on the books. Once Deadpool shipped, the entire team got let go as well as a chunk of the contractors. What they're left with now seems to be the bones of one team who have been working on Call of Duty and Destiny content and port work. Yay.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    ROTDS was actually a crossover between the movie and High Moon's Cybertron series. Unfortunately contracting the project out to Edge of Reality didn't end particularly well so I too avoided it after seeing reviews despite loving the previous games. From what I remember, sales weren't exactly spectacular so that wouldn't have helped the chances of the series being continued.

As for High Moon and why they didn't get the project, well from news reports at the time as well as some Glassdoor reviews, it seems the company got big enough for two projects, War for Cybertron and Deadpool. There were, however, still a lot of contractors on the books. Once Deadpool shipped, the entire team got let go as well as a chunk of the contractors. What they're left with now seems to be the bones of one team who have been working on Call of Duty and Destiny content and port work. Yay.

That's a shame, they did such good work on the first two games, and Deadpool was meant to be solid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Any idea of whether there's much of a difference between PS3 and PS4 on this? I don't think I can justify full price on the PS4 for such a short game but it is much cheaper on PS3.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Any idea of whether there's much of a difference between PS3 and PS4 on this? I don't think I can justify full price on the PS4 for such a short game but it is much cheaper on PS3.

Huge difference in price in Smyths anyhow €29.99 on PS3 compared to €59.99 on PS4.

Yeah and with the style of the game being so unique the PS4 one doesn't have the usual graphical advantage that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah and with the style of the game being so unique the PS4 one doesn't have the usual graphical advantage that I can see.

PS4 runs 1080p60, PS3 runs 720p60 (with dips in the fps during heavy action).
    I'd imagine there are a few more graphical filters etc on the ps4 but the game is throwing around fairly simple textures and physics so base your purchase on that.

I'd hold off for a PS4 price drop, sold fps is important with games like these.

Ok cool, I might hold off until 2016 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

looks nice, but tbh, it has winter sale written all over it, I'd imagine if you can hold off a few months it'll be for sale for cheap both physically and digitally.

Advertisement