Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protective, prescription eyewear

Options
  • 31-05-2015 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I wear glasses and got a pair of ESS Ballistic Goggles with prescription inserts. Didn't like it that much as the lenses and the goggles themselves both fogged up and clearing them was a real pain with 4 lenses to clear..

So I switched to daily soft contact lenses which worked better for me, but I don't like wearing contacts.

I'm wondering, is it possible to get protective goggles where the protective lens itself is prescription? I.e just one set of lenses?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Bolle do prescription protective glasses which would be suitable for Airsoft, but no idea on cost.
    Bolle Safety Prescription
    If you see something in their range that you like you could give O Sullivan safety a call on 012573335 and ask them for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

My brother got the urban for 120 from a local opticians.
    http://www.bolle-safety.com/plastic-spectacles/urban-urbn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I like the look of the Bolle Twister goggles. My only concern is that they look like they might limit your vision a little. The Urban ones look a little open at the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Try E bay for revision sawfly glasses. You will need to get the rx inserts which will also be on e bay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Try E bay for revision sawfly glasses. You will need to get the rx inserts which will also be on e bay

Seconded on the sawflies, and the bullet ants are the full seal version which also accept the same prescription insert.
    Seriously great bits of kit too, I have both, with a prescription insert.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭biz96

I'm using bolle x800 with my prescription glasses. Ultra ventilated frame is working perfect for me. They are not to cheap but worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 j12gerst4

I was looking into this before, in honesty contact lenses and regular protection were much more reasonable. I'm hoping someone suggests an affordable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I was on the hunt as well, and I just ordered a pair of these which will arrive in 2 weeks .... will let you know how they work out - I wanted full seal for Airsoft

http://www.bobster.com/spektrax-convertible-3-sets-of-lenses-prescription-insert.aspx#

Their Foamerz series can be converted directly to prescription, however regular lenses might not meet any "safety standard" which might be required on your field.

http://www.bobster.com/foamerz-2-sunglasses-blk-frame-anti-fog-clear-ansi-z87.aspx

*Despite that, my regular prescription sunglasses (-2.50) lenses have taken much worse hits at other activities outside of Airsoft - they are polycarbonate and if anything thicker and stronger than z87 ballistic lenses - I have not been able to bend or break them, no matter what! My frames break before the lenses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Just Received the Bobster Spektrax and they are actually beyond expectations :D

Pro's
    • Comes with metal prescription inserts and are up to EN166 Standard, basically they will protect against a 6mm .80 steel ball at 70m/s
    • The full foam seal is fantastic, with breathing holes around the nose piece and lower lens, I don't think fogging should be an issue.
    • Comfort wise, you'd barely notice them on your head in "glasses mode", goggle mode feels like - well, goggles. Personally I will probably not bother with google mode. The arms hold the glasses tight to my face no matter how much silly dancing I do.
    • The foam is lightly felt backed and very comfortable on the face.
    • They are surprisingly light, feels more like wearing sunglasses than protective eyewear and field of view feels much less limited than masks or over-glasses-goggles. No issues getting right down on the sights.
    • They do have a lifetime limited warranty on all parts

Cons:
    • It remains to be seen how long the open cell foam will hold up in extreme temperature and humidity in my current location (35C here in SE Asia) - most foams tend to deteriorate pretty fast here.
    • You'd need to ship the parts back to the US in a warranty situation which is probably not a financially viable option for a 30 euro set of glasses.
    • Feel a little more plasticky than I expected in the hand (like ABS Receiver type plastic)

Cant Wait to get out to battle with them :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement