Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banna Thai closed

Options
  • 31-05-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I went to eat with OH Friday evening and we decided to have our usual yellow curry in Banna Thai in Cork City centre. But I was shocked to see the restaurant closed.

There is no message in the window so it seems to be closed for good.
    Is the one in Ballincolling still open?

Do you know what happened?

I will miss so much that yellow curry....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

The Ballincollig restaurant is now closed Mon-Wed and they've dropped their liquor license too. Looking bad for this restaurant which is a shame. Their food is so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Oh no! My banna noodles. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Deub

I went to the Ballincolling restaurant yesterday but it was closed even though a paper on the door said they were closed Monday to Wednesday.
    Such a pity they closed both restaurants.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah, pity that they are closed.
    Used to pop in there for lunch a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thats2008

Best thai ever :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've heard numerous plugs for this place & yet, having only eaten there once, I was really disappointed with the meal I had in Ballincollig

Still, never nice to see businesses closing, assuming Chilli Padi, Ramen etc. have taken a chunk of their business in the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

D'Agger wrote: »
    I've heard numerous plugs for this place & yet, having only eaten there once, I was really disappointed with the meal I had in Ballincollig

Still, never nice to see businesses closing, assuming Chilli Padi, Ramen etc. have taken a chunk of their business in the last year

Ditto.

Ate twice from the ballincolig branch, and was disappointed both times.
    Never been back, so it won't be any loss to me if it never opened.

Same goes for the horrible Indian restaurant in the alley way in the old square.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

pa990 wrote: »

Same goes for the horrible Indian restaurant in the alley way in the old square.

Went for a takeaway there once, they actually couldnt give me everything I ordered for (2 mains) as they ran out of chicken

An indian restaurant running out chicken!!!! never went back after that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG has banna thai closed? tried to order yday but no joy - they were the best in the city for thai - had food from chilli padi recently and the portions were so small - i am small and was not full after eating it...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I noticed they had disappeared from justeat alright:/ The Flavorful Curry was exactly what the name promised. Not all the dishes were stellar, but i think they are better than the other Thai places around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    OMG has banna thai closed? tried to order yday but no joy - they were the best in the city for thai - had food from chilli padi recently and the portions were so small - i am small and was not full after eating it...

What did you have?
    I've struggled to finish any dish there - i am not small.

That's surprising, I'd finish my meal there, but just about, always got a good portion, a good few of my workmates would struggle to eat the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Eden Thai above boots on Patrick St is the only one in town now & it's good. I like there or nakon Thai in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's a shame Banna Thai is gone, it was the best in town for years.
    There is another Thai in town now: Aroi on Carey's Lane and it's very good, http://aroi.eu/menu

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Kazbah wrote: »
    Eden Thai above boots on Patrick St is the only one in town now & it's good. I like there or nakon Thai in Douglas.

The Golden Elephant also in Douglas is the best Thai I've had outside of Thailand and in all honesty beats some of the stuff I did get in Thailand. Little bit of a premium price but worth it as I only get takeaways on a irregular basis. They did run out of green curry once when I ordered, they only make a certain amount of spice mix for a day and when it's gone it's gone :/

What did you have?
    I've struggled to finish any dish there - i am not small.

i had a chicken dish - sweet coconut chilli i think and the OH had something with beef - can't rem - but really - we were not full - and him especially..

i actually to take out from Eden having learnt that Banna was closed - two of us had stirfrys which were delish - fabulous - and one had a massaman curry which was v v poor - 2/3 is not bad... - we also go a few bottle of coke and crackers - both were unused but a nice gesture...

I would defo order again...

v good quality meat which is a must - lots of veg..

one of the mains was duck with oyster mushroom and ginger - man it was delish..

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Eden has closed 😢
    Aroi is too, at least temporarily. Is there anywhere in the city to get decent Thai food?

Kazbah wrote: »
    Eden has closed 😢
    Aroi is too, at least temporarily. Is there anywhere in the city to get decent Thai food?

Chilli Paddi.

A new place has opened in the place of Banna Thai now called Kanok Thai. Haven't been so can't comment on food yet.

sok2005 wrote: »
    A new place has opened in the place of Banna Thai now called Kanok Thai. Haven't been so can't comment on food yet.

yeah... thanks for that - its probably banna thai - but renamed or something.. yeah.. i will try it next weekend..

• Advertisement

Good to know, will give it a shot for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Deub

Thanks for the info. i will try it !

Not by the looks of things. Passed there today and the Banna Thai sign is still up and the place is closed, to let sign up...

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Not by the looks of things. Passed there today and the Banna Thai sign is still up and the place is closed, to let sign up...

In Ballincollig? That's where I am referring to. You must be talking about the city restaurant right?
    Here is the website of the new place. http://www.kanokthai.net/
    There's a menu online too.

Ah ok, yeah I was talking about the one in town.

awe damm - i assumed that ye were talking about the one in town too... grr.. back to my recipe books

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Ah ok, yeah I was talking about the one in town.

Now why would you think that?
    It's not like this is the Cork City forum, now is it?....... Oh, wait

Now why would you think that?
    It's not like this is the Cork City forum, now is it?....... Oh, wait

ballincollig is classed as cork city too no?

ballincollig is classed as cork city too no?

No. Not yet.

• Advertisement

No. Not yet.

huh

Advertisement