Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who are "The Crafty Brewing Co"?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not G.R wrote: »
    To me, all their beers taste like focus group, middle management, by the numbers recipies. RR really shine when they let the brewers do their thing.
    I think the same can be said for a number of Irish brewers: the beers that pay the bills are the middle-ground ones and it's daft to resent them. The money they bring in makes the small-run stuff for us fussy types possible. Same at Eight Degrees, at Trouble, at Galway Bay, at Black's, and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yep, the Stout/Pale/Red holy trinity of Irish Breweries keeps the dolla coming in, so they can also produce the good stuff that the likes of us look for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Agree 100%. One of my favourite Kinnegar beers is made twice a year, I questioned Rick on why they don't make it more often given it's popularity and he said it was because they actually make a loss on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local Lidl has had zero stock since the weekend of anything Crafty - got the last bottle of the IPA on Saturday and the sign is still there above empty space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Grafter's Pale Ale & IPA is also hard to find in stock anywhere lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I really like the Crafty IPA.

4 pints of tasty 6% abv IPA with change from a tenner? Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Loads left in the two Lidls in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Notice every lidl recently seems to low on stock, except the boring Crafty Lager?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

donaghs wrote: »
    Notice every lidl recently seems to low on stock, except the boring Crafty Lager?

Good cheap beer and prolonged sun shine, that a winning combination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have been meaning to try the Crafty IPA but it's like the Yeti: rumoured to exist, dubious photo evidence but almost impossible to actually find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Have been meaning to try the Crafty IPA but it's like the Yeti: rumoured to exist, dubious photo evidence but almost impossible to actually find.

It's turns out its just a Bear ;)

My local had been getting more supply recently, but some time you need to go to one or two

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

side note..maybe wrong thread. tried the grafters kolsch and porter over the weekend. loved the kolsch beatuifully biscuitty. porter was too cold when i drank it but i was too impatient to wait for it to go to room temp. will try again

Tried the IPA last week, my immediate issue was it being 4 for e10 and it being a groceries brew whereas you can get a few others for that in SV.

However it is 6% so that has to be accounted for and e2.50 isn't too bad.

Anyway I have to say I was surprised how nice it was
    Was expecting another bland IPA but is has a bit of character.

To echo previous comments its too hard to find.
    I've only seen it once in the main shop in Galway City but got it on my first visit to another.

They might need to rearrange production when you're leaving the store to go somewhere else... That should never happen.

oblivious wrote: »
    It's turns out its just a Bear ;)

My local had been getting more supply recently, but some time you need to go to one or two

Got some today :)

side note..maybe wrong thread. tried the grafters kolsch and porter over the weekend. loved the kolsch beatuifully biscuitty. porter was too cold when i drank it but i was too impatient to wait for it to go to room temp. will try again

The kolsch is ridiculously drinkable in the current weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Who sells them? i've only seen grafter in Dunnes, and not those varieties.

Exclusive to Dunnes, and the Kölsch and Porter are only just out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The Irish Pale Ale (purple bottle) that's brewed for Lidl - what's the Rye River Valley brewing company's (McGarigles perhaps) name of this on the shelf?

The Crafty Brewing Company Irish Pale Ale.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Crafty Brewing Company Irish Pale Ale.

Sorry I meant elsewhere out of Lidl, their stock of it is so erratic its not funny, just wondering if its the same beer labelled diffrently sold in other multiples. I think I love it and want to get it elsewhere when Lidl dont have stock of the crafty !

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    just wondering if its the same beer labelled diffrently sold in other multiples.
    They don't do re-badges, according to the brewer but Grafter's Pale Ale in Dunnes tastes pretty close, I think.
    https://twitter.com/ryeriverbrewing/status/729757534882541568

They don't do re-badges, according to the brewer but Grafter's Pale Ale in Dunnes tastes pretty close, I think.
    ]

Just came on to say that.

I saw these posts a few days ago and just happened upon a Dunnes today and tried the Kolsch and IPA.

The Kolsh is... Well more like a Spaten or other Lager while I prefer IPAs.
    At 5% and e2 it's a decent option for larger/Helles beer.

The IPA... As soon as I took a drink I just thought it was, at least to me, similar to the Crafty Brewing IPA.
    And that's not a bad thing as I liked that too.

At e2.45 for a 6.5%, its probably a better option taking into account stock problems with the CBC IPA and its lesser volume(6% right?)... Seems identical to me.

Thumps up.

I thought the IPAs were very different from each other, but there you go.

Thanks a lot, will try it out. Hopefully it's good and the supply chain is better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Maybe not those two, but they do rebadge, at least for the draught market.

Anybody else try the Grafters porter?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Anybody else try the Grafters porter?

Yes, had one at the weekend. I thought it was quite mild, flavour-wise, but it actually worked quite well for summer drinking. I wouldn't be raving about it, but I would have it again.

Haven't tried the Kolsch-style yet.

Just checked my local LIDL to check the new range out.

Low and behold, a good supply of the IPA was there.

This was also a store that was always empty so we might have turned a corner with that issue.

Also the Ciders are available now.

Unfortunately it's a bit overpriced IMO.

E3 for the medium and E2.25 for the dry and they both come in at 4.5%.

That's just a little too high for the medium, I'd go back for the Armagh in Aldi between the two.

If I was going to spend E3 on a 4.5% I'd nearly be better of going to E4 for the stronger and superior Stonewell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Got 6 bottles of the Crafty Irish Pale Ale this eve mm they have changed it.....it used to stay cloudy and almost fruity tasting....now it's clearer and a little more fizzy. More like a golden ale ..still quite drinkable but I preferred it before

• Advertisement
Advertisement