Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkstown Farm???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Hii,

I just came across this thread. I started looking at Monkstown Farm as an option at the suggestion of someone who lives there, a single woman like myself. She is very happy there, but they prices are mad (in my opinion).

They are going for 80-100k above asking price!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dave29ken

Yes I believe anything listed around the 320k mark is only done to allow people to make bids. There is one for sale at the moment (2 bed), looks nice but when i inquired last on the current offers they said it was at 390k.
    I would say the area is pretty good for the most part, although looks a bit run down along the very back of it. I would consider buying there but only in certain parts, which now seem to be attracting mad money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Houseunting

Hi all,

Would love to hear some reviews about area birch grove, kill avenue,Dun Laoghaire as we are thinking to buy house there. Want to know how the area is like, any rough patches. I have a small daughter 3 years old so any good schools near by.

Any leads will be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Hi all,

Would love to hear some reviews about area birch grove, kill avenue,Dun Laoghaire as we are thinking to buy house there. Want to know how the area is like, any rough patches. I have a small daughter 3 years old so any good schools near by.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Lovely little estate that isn't part of Monkstown Farm. In fact it's never been council. Ash Grove separates it from the farm.

Birch Grove has a nice (very recently done up) green that kids are regularly playing nicely on from what I've seen cycling through.

You can't drive through it as there's bollards at the Rory O'Connor end.

Presume you'd get the odd "messers" cutting through from Abbey Road out onto Kill Ave but you'd get that anywhere.

Take a drive around it at different times of the day and judge for yourself

Edit - missed the schools bit
    Monkstown Educate together is at the top of the road but doubt you'll get in there if name isn't down already.
    Other than that there's St Josephs, The Harold, Kill of the Grange, etc
    Steer clear of the Holy Family in Monkstown Farm if you can (personal opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mixerq

Hi, Well just wondering did you move into the area as we're in the same boat now? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

That area has come up a lot in the last 20 years. Used to be terrible but its fine now.

Would I pay the prices houses are now? No? I dont think they are worth that for the area, but the area is not nearly as bad as its old reputation suggests.

The big thing for me is always, how hard will it be to keep your kids away from the bad influences. And to me, in Monkstown farm you are surrounded by more good families than bad by a long way. So at least there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’d happily move into Monkstown Farm now - wouldn’t have 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I used to pass there on my commute well over 20 years ago and even then the glass box extension was happening a sure sign the architects were buying or involved in the design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I looked at two properties there 6 years ago... One listed at €325,000 and the other around €385,000... both were in a depserate state, kitchens unusable, one had a lean-to falling in. Light switches running on the surface of walls in copper conduit (not in a hipster way), bathrooms floors etc. all neeeded complete replacement.

Leaving the second house I asked about bidding and the estate agent (DNG) told me that the second house was accepting sealed bids and the current offer was at €590,000... I couldn't for the life of me understand that. I did end up buying in the wider area for much much much less... But there seems to be some sort of hysteria about some of those houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

There is still the odd pocket in there that has "gentrified" although there's less of them

No harm in sitting in your car up the road from the house you're considering at various times of the day / night to observe the comings & goings.

By & large though it's grand now as others have said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement