Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 15: Cheesy Spinach Dip

• 17-04-2015 6:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Santa Fe Cheesy Spinach Dip

Okay this one is an absolute killer. My American friend made this recently for a group of us as an appetiser at a party at her place. Like merry little piglets at a trough, a few of us stayed huddled close to the dish all evening, scooping up more of the cheesy, creamy goodness onto home-made pitta chips, or as we prefer to call them, bread shovels.

She made enough for about 30 people, but I have cut the recipe down to serve about 6 (as a starter). Although to be perfectly honest, the night we made this, the OH and I just skipped our main course entirely and ate practically the whole thing.

Ingredients

For the dip:

1 onion, chopped
    Half a red pepper, chopped
    4-5 jalapeno slices from a jar (or a fresh chilli of your choice), minced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 large tomato, chopped
    300g of frozen spinach
    150g cream cheese
    3 tablespoons of buttermilk
    75g parmesan, grated
    120g white cheddar, grated
    Olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika

For the pita chips:

Pitta, cut into bite size squares
    Olive oil
    Salt, pepper, cayenne and any herbs/garlic/seasoning you'd like to top them with

Method:

Preheat the oven to 160.

For the dip:

Saute the onions in a little olive oil until soft. Add the peppers (and chilli if using) and garlic and cook down for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and spinach and stir until the spinach has loosened up and the water has evaporated. Season to your preference. Don't worry if it looks odd.

Allow to cool for a moment.

In a big bowl, mix the cream cheese with the buttermilk, to loosen. Add the cooked vegetables. Now add the cheddar and parmesan, but reserve a handful of this to go on top. Stir everything together well and transfer to a small oven proof dish. Top with the remaining cheeses.

Bake for 20 minutes or so, until golden and beautiful like the first image above. Allow to cool slightly before eating.

For the pita chips:

Very simply, cut your pitta into squares. Lay on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Season as you wish, and pop under the grill until crispy.

Use the pitta to scoop up mounds of the cheesy spinach goodness.

Drink a bottle of chilled white wine, and go to bed.
    Post edited by Mystery Egg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hmmm, trying to taste this dish in my mind from reading the ingredients (sort of like sight-reading music! ;))

Could you use fresh spinich and just drain it before adding? How much fresh spinich do you reckon would be the equivalent?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hmmm, trying to taste this dish in my mind from reading the ingredients (sort of like sight-reading music! ;))

Could you use fresh spinich and just drain it before adding? How much fresh spinich do you reckon would be the equivalent?

Not much water came out of the frozen spinach, so I'd say you'd probably need around 250g fresh. Although never having made it with fresh, I couldn't predict how it would affect the texture - it'd be trial and error!

Why the hesitation to use frozen out of curiosity? It's cheap and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not much water came out of the frozen spinach, so I'd say you'd probably need around 250g fresh. Although never having made it with fresh, I couldn't predict how it would affect the texture - it'd be trial and error!

Why the hesitation to use frozen out of curiosity? It's cheap and delicious.

No real hesitation, just I see fresh everywhere, frozen not so common....

No real hesitation, just I see fresh everywhere, frozen not so common....

Ah. Where I am it's the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

This looks amazing - have had something similar on holidays before and it was gorgeous! Will definitely make it but only when I have some people over for dinner as otherwise the two of us would still manage to eat the whole thing so it'll be a while

• Advertisement

I just remembered this recipe tonight. It's so delicious. We're going to have it for dinner tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Thanks for bumping. I really want to make this now. Might give it a go at the weekend. One of the kids is dairy free, and I really want the chest goodness, so I'm thinking late night snacking after they do to bed. Excited already!!!

Feel free to add some new pictures of you have a chance ;)

If I do make it, I'll try figure out how to post some pics

Will do Davy!

I deleted all those horrible expired tinypic tags in the original post, but couldn't figure out how to post photos in an old post.

Made this again tonight and it was just fabulous.

Advertisement