Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Ceannt Way - More Sinn Fein Nonsense

Options
  • 14-04-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I hear that Sinn Fein tabled a motion to rename the dual carriage way from the Drogheda bus depot to the Bridge of Peace Eamonn Ceannt Way. What nonsense. I can only imagine that as he faced his final hours Eamonn Ceannt was thinking,

'I can die a happy man if, 99 years from now, a dual carriage way that doesn't exist yet that connects to a bridge that also doesn't exist in Drogheda is named in honour of me. Then Ireland will be free and my death not in vain.'

Will the Shinners just plough ahead with the renaming anyway? Their bizarrely placed shrine to hungerstrikers on the same stretch of road would suggest so.

Will it ever end?

From their website -

Sinn Féin Councillor Alan Cassidy has tabled a motion at Monday’s Municipal District Council meeting calling for the dual carriage way from the bus depot to the Bridge of Peace to be renamed.
    Speaking today, the Tullyallen councillor said “in the run up to the 1916 centenary, it would be fitting to rename the dual carriage way ‘Eamonn Ceannt Way’ in honour of the executed 1916 leader and proclamation signatory. Like many other Irish Republican men and women, he pursued a fairer Republican vision for this country and paid the ultimate price for his beliefs”.
    Explaining the connection with the area, Cllr Cassidy explained how “Eamonn Ceannt moved to Drogheda at a young age and spent his first two years in education at the Christian Brothers school in the town before moving to Ardee aged 6”.
    Although the motion was seconded, the Council hasn’t made a decision yet.
    Cllr Cassidy concluded with “if the motion is passed, then the matter will be referred to the Infrastructure special committee and then forwarded to the place names committee. I’m hoping it will be in time for the 2016 celebrations.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

This country is littered with memorials and statues and named this, that and the other, all of which mean nothing to me. What's one more? Who gives a monkeys? Settle yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

They just annoy me. I've contacted Louth County Council to see if I can get it renamed Shanks Godfrey Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

A rant worthy of Facebook :D
    Pity you weren't around when the Catholic church had the monopoly on naming streets and roads!

Advertisement