Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    How did I miss this :confused:

You were too busy trying to match runners to times and t shirts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Timmaay wrote: »

Brilliant! Kevin will not be able to keep a straight face when I'm in for new runners next time, hilarious :D. Well done all, BG looked like you were totally in control there with the clipboard! When are we having a prosecco mile!!! (or maybe 800m....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant! Kevin will not be able to keep a straight face when I'm in for new runners next time, hilarious :D. Well done all, BG looked like you were totally in control there with the clipboard! When are we having a prosecco mile!!! (or maybe 800m....)

Haha, it was chaos, but a clipboard always helps give an air of professionalism ;). After witnessing last night's shenanigans I am very close to becoming a teetotaler. How about a mile (or 800m!), then a shedload of prosecco ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Haha, it was chaos, but a clipboard always helps give an air of professionalism ;). After witnessing last night's shenanigans I am very close to becoming a teetotaler. How about a mile (or 800m!), then a shedload of prosecco ?

this is something I'm always in favour of :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Irish Beer Mile Championship 2015. Having run 12 miles earlier, and with no specific beer training done, I had no more than survival on my mind for my inaugural appearance at this prestigious event. As we made our way across to the stadium, already heaving with a throng of at least several people, I heard the siren call of mother nature, a consequence of my warm-up beers and g&t strides done earlier, no doubt. I attended to this and hastened trackside. As the entrants were logged and registered, I picked out a spot for my Sierra Nevada IPA, and noted with concern that despite having been withdrawn from refrigeration 90 minutes earlier, they were still alarmingly cold. At length we were called to the start line, and having distinctly heard people mention 'nerves' earlier, and scoffed inwardly, I was amazed to notice Meno's teeth literally chattering with nerves just prior to the start. Was it possible I wasn't taking this seriously enough, I wondered to myself. Too late, we were off, and as I flipped the cap off my beer and took as long a swig as I could, I noticed with concern that Thirsty was throwing his aside and careering off. Bloody hell. I finished my beer in 24 seconds, fully thinking that I was in last place (video later convinced me otherwise). Running fast was already out of the question, and I lumbered around in 98 seconds. Beer no.2 took me 53 seconds, and as soon as I had finished it I was struck instantly by the most hellish headache I have ever had. It was a genuine case of brain freeze, and it wouldn't go away until much later. 2.03 for the 2nd 400 then, and it was time for beer 3. This took me 58 seconds, and I had by now realised that despite A) choosing an ale, and B) having it (too) cold, it was still foaming way too much. I was being left with an inch of froth in each bottle, and my hair was becoming unpleasantly sticky from what I was pouring over it. Afterwards Finchacha was to impart some invaluable advice on that score which will be useful come BMC 2016. Lap 3 was accomplished in 1.49, and I seem to remember some people absolutely haring past me on this one. Beer 4 was a real struggle, and it took 63 seconds to dispatch. Last lap, and I lolloped around before raising a half-arsed sprint to finish in 1.35 for an unofficial total of 10.28 - not bad for a first effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

This is the best thread in ages. Do another one next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Beef wrote: »
    This is the best thread in ages. Do another one next week.

Yes, almost rivals the Bohemeen one :)

It's not safe. The liver damage would be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Anyone else have the post beer mile blues? Sad that the madness is all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I took two bags of empty bottles...totally forgot they were there and opened the car doors for the school run...the stink in the car was horrendous!!!! :D Lesson for next time...dont for get to dump the rubbish bags :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Anyone else have the post beer mile blues? Sad that the madness is all over.
    My livery is very happy its over, and think I will take a rest form drinking and focus on running now.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

shels4ever wrote: »
    My livery is very happy its over, and think I will take a rest form drinking and focus on running now.

well considering the last two races you've ran in the last 24 months were both beer miles it's probably a good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

A pedantic point perhaps, someone with a better understanding can expalin. Isn't there a different in terms of how alcohol is measured in the EU vs the US. Depending on where you are 5% could mean 5 grams per 100ml of liquid, or it could mean 5ml per 100ml of liquid at a given temperature. The volume of alcohol varies based on it's temperature, but it's weigh doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

A pedantic point perhaps, someone with a better understanding can expalin. Isn't there a different in terms of how alcohol is measured in the EU vs the US. Depending on where you are 5% could mean 5 grams per 100ml of liquid, or it could mean 5ml per 100ml of liquid at a given temperature. The volume of alcohol varies based on it's temperature, but it's weigh doesn't change.

Buzz-killington-stopping-the-buzz-kill.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The volume of almost everything varies with temperature and/or pressure. But a beer mile is constant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Alcohol by volume (ABV) is the same in the US and the EU. ABV is measured/recorded at 20'C, but not sure how that's relevant. You may be confusing ABV with 'proof', or 'alcohol by weight', but these measures wouldn't have been used for the beer mile beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

National Beer Mile 2015

3rd Place*

*but 1st male born in September with size 12 feet to have a under sub 2.51 marathon PB to his name

The Beer Mile: The most fun you are going to have with your runners on :).

The event/race is a hard one to explain. It's not quite a running event, nor is it simply a drinking competition. The training was virtually non-existent on my part. I wasn't too concerned as I took a similar approach to last years event where I ran a 7.17 to come second to TRR. I knew I was in good shape running-wise but I genuinely had no idea how this would go. I was even a bit nervous lining up. The elevated heart rate proved that this meant something to me. The choice of beer was Moosehead. A tasteless beer. Perfect.

The large crowd was fantastic to see, as was the good numbers in the race. There was one or two dark horses that I needed to keep my eye on. I knew I had TRR in my pocket so I wasn't too worried about him!

BEER 1: 9 SECONDS

This went down nice and easy. Kevin shot into the lead and I slotted into second place. I felt ok but the legs were in a bad way. The tiredness screamed at me on the first corner. Not good! I settled into a decent clip. I knew not to push the pace. I was over taken by TRR and Cathal at about the 300m mark. No need to panic. LAP 1: 76 SECONDS

BEER: 20 SECONDS

I took me a few seconds to locate and drink my beer. Once again it was fine. I found myself in fourth place and again settled into a decent clip. This is where I probably lost the race. I was a bit too cautious (didn't want to get sick!). LAP 2: 82 SECONDS

BEER 3: 19 SECONDS

I overtook TRR during this transition. I was well with my comfort zone and was pretty confident that I wouldn't get sick. Time to push Anthony. The worst was over. The alcohol was kicking in and the legs forgot how tired they were! LAP 3: 78 SECONDS

BEER 4: 16 SECONDS

PUSH PUSH PUSH! Run ye fat b!stard! There was no holding back now. I was closing on the two lads but the race was lost. I hammered it and found myself running at my mile effort. I left it too late with too much to do. LAP 4: 69 SECONDS

A bit disappointed to have lost but was delighted to hear my time. I would rather come 3rd with that time than come first with a slower one. The lads just had too much for me on the day.

Where from here? I think I can run a sub 5.40 beer mile next year. I may have finally found my discipline!

Drinking: 64 seconds
    Mile: 5.05

A great night. So much fun. My third National Medal.......................:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Alcohol by volume (ABV) is the same in the US and the EU. ABV is measured/recorded at 20'C, but not sure how that's relevant. You may be confusing ABV with 'proof', or 'alcohol by weight', but these measures wouldn't have been used for the beer mile beers.

Alcohol is recorded by weight for beers in the US. Drinking alcohol has 0.79g per cc, where as water has is 1.00g per cc.

So 5% by volume(what we use) is equal to 6.33% by weight what is used in the us.

National Beer Mile 2015

3rd Place*

*but 1st male born in September with size 12 feet to have a under sub 2.51 marathon PB to his name

The Beer Mile: The most fun you are going to have with your runners on :).

The event/race is a hard one to explain. It's not quite a running event, nor is it simply a drinking competition. The training was virtually non-existent on my part. I wasn't too concerned as I took a similar approach to last years event where I ran a 7.17 to come second to TRR. I knew I was in good shape running-wise but I genuinely had no idea how this would go. I was even a bit nervous lining up. The elevated heart rate proved that this meant something to me. The choice of beer was Moosehead. A tasteless beer. Perfect.

The large crowd was fantastic to see, as was the good numbers in the race. There was one or two dark horses that I needed to keep my eye on. I knew I had TRR in my pocket so I wasn't too worried about him!

BEER 1: 9 SECONDS

This went down nice and easy. Kevin shot into the lead and I slotted into second place. I felt ok but the legs were in a bad way. The tiredness screamed at me on the first corner. Not good! I settled into a decent clip. I knew not to push the pace. I was over taken by TRR and Cathal at about the 300m mark. No need to panic. LAP 1: 76 SECONDS

BEER: 20 SECONDS

I took me a few seconds to locate and drink my beer. Once again it was fine. I found myself in fourth place and again settled into a decent clip. This is where I probably lost the race. I was a bit too cautious (didn't want to get sick!). LAP 2: 82 SECONDS

BEER 3: 19 SECONDS

I overtook TRR during this transition. I was well with my comfort zone and was pretty confident that I wouldn't get sick. Time to push Anthony. The worst was over. The alcohol was kicking in and the legs forgot how tired they were! LAP 3: 78 SECONDS

BEER 4: 16 SECONDS

PUSH PUSH PUSH! Run ye fat b!stard! There was no holding back now. I was closing on the two lads but the race was lost. I hammered it and found myself running at my mile effort. I left it too late with too much to do. LAP 4: 69 SECONDS

A bit disappointed to have lost but was delighted to hear my time. I would rather come 3rd with that time than come first with a slower one. The lads just had too much for me on the day.

Where from here? I think I can run a sub 5.40 beer mile next year. I may have finally found my discipline!

Drinking: 64 seconds
    Mile: 5.05

A great night. So much fun. My third National Medal.......................:)

69 last lap is impressive. Looking at the video it seems like Cathal ran a 62 last lap. Mad.

My last lap was 118 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

69 last lap is impressive. Looking at the video it seems like Cathal ran a 62 last lap. Mad.

My last lap was 118 seconds!

Jaysus! Felt like I closing for the first 200m of the lap but the lads put the hammer down in the last 200m. I just don't have that type of kick. A 62 second last lap was some going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well considering the last two races you've ran in the last 24 months were both beer miles it's probably a good idea :)

Yep and the more disturbing fact is that my training pace is = to beer mile pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Alcohol is recorded by weight for beers in the US. Drinking alcohol has 0.79g per cc, where as water has is 1.00g per cc.

So 5% by volume(what we use) is equal to 6.33% by weight what is used in the us.
    Taxation on alcohol is based on alcohol by weight, in some states in the US. ABV is what's used on the labels (with the exception of some lite beers (largely for tax-dodge reasons). Of the beers I saw used at the event (as printed on the labels and reported on their websites):
    Moosehead (Canadian) is 5% ABV
    Sierra Nevada - 5.6% ABV
    Brooklyn Summer Ale - 5% ABV
    Brooklyn Larger - 5.2% ABV

So all compliant. Still not sure what your point is. Are you a concerned citizen?

What no-one has yet pointed out is that the fastest running of the entire night was to be seen in the mad dash across the N11 trying to catch the bus. Quite why the bus-driver, when faced with the sight of more than a dozen half-pissed blokes sprinting across a busy double-carriageway, some of them on bended knee in supplication to him, decided not to stop for us is....well, it's a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

National Beer Mile 2015

3rd Place*

Jaysus, your parents must have had fierce problems getting you shoes when you were a child:eek:;):pac:

davedanon wrote: »
    What no-one has yet pointed out is that the fastest running of the entire night was to be seen in the mad dash across the N11 trying to catch the bus. Quite why the bus-driver, when faced with the sight of more than a dozen half-pissed blokes sprinting across a busy double-carriageway, some of them on bended knee in supplication to him, decided not to stop for us is....well, it's a mystery.

Dublin bus drivers are lazy. No way was he going to be sitting at that bus stop while 15 drunk runners went looking around for change and leap cards. He saw an opportunity to avoid that grind and took it by the scruff of the neck.

I managed to cramp up in my calf running for that bus!

Dublin bus drivers are lazy. No way was he going to be sitting at that bus stop while 15 drunk runners went looking around for change and leap cards. He saw an opportunity to avoid that grind and took it by the scruff of the neck.

I managed to cramp up in my calf running for that bus!

and you wonder why we think track runners are fairies :)

OK, so **provisional** results are below. I still have to review video footage and ensure that all times are correct. I'm going to submit these to beermile.com. Few things.

Firstly. If you would like your real name used instead of your boards handle let me know by PM. Conversely if you'd like your name removed from results let me know too.

Secondly, beermile.com has categories for different ages/weights. If you meet any of these criteria and want it highlighted in final results PM me

Masters - Age 30 and up
    Super Masters - Age 40 and up
    Grand Masters - Age 50 and up
    Super Grand Hash Masters - Age 69 and up
    Clydesdale - Age 35 and up, 200 lbs and heavier

Thirdly, there is a field for notes beside your result on the beermile.com website. PM me if you want something added. If you fail to PM me something, I will make up something myself that will probably be outrageous and derogatory to you.

**PROVISIONAL RESULTS**
    1 Cathal 5.50
    2 thirstywork2 5.51
    3 dublin_runner 6.09
    4 DogSlySmile 7.18
    5 ArtieFufkin 7.21
    6 TRR 8.14
    7 Meno 8.25
    8 yaboya 8.27
    9 KielyUnusual 8.48
    10 Adpro 9.17
    11 pacing_mule 9.47
    12 adrian522 9.58
    13 Timmay 10.14
    14 davedanon 10.29
    15 Chivito 10.36
    16 Shels4ever 10.44
    17 DrQ 10.58
    18 Stan 11.18
    19 simonw 11.23
    20 vanderlyle 12.15
    21 emeraldjava 14.55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

How many DNFs were there in the end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TRR when checking the race footage, make sure to put down the time when you ambled over the mile line, not your time when you crossed the 1600m line ;)

• Advertisement

How many DNFs were there in the end ?

2 although I don't know if Ron's attempt could be considered a start considering he puked his guts out on his second lap having skipped the first. Giving spider man a bad name ;)

Advertisement