Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

1457910303

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    Is it not odd that its mentioned the car is a us import despite it being rhd and the massive chrome GB letters on the back..


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    Is it not odd that its mentioned the car is a us import despite it being rhd and the massive chrome GB letters on the back..
    Never noticed the RHD...

    Suggests it was brought from the US to the UK and converted over. They were never made in RHD. However I do find it very odd that this important work wasn't mentioned. How well does the buyer actually know the car... could you be sure it is rust free?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    Call me a cynic, but the alloys just don't inspire confidence. Whyever anyone would put them onto a 124 Spider in beyond me, and I don't know if its just the photos, but they don't look exactly safe

    43487692.jpeg

    Also are the seats original, they look a bit big but I know very little about these things outside of the fact that they are very very pretty


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ 26000 Elephants


    Call me a cynic, but the alloys just don't inspire confidence. Whyever anyone would put them onto a 124 Spider in beyond me, and I don't know if its just the photos, but they don't look exactly safe


    Also are the seats original, they look a bit big but I know very little about these things outside of the fact that they are very very pretty

    I think fiat always used 4v98 wheels, so even modern ones will fit. They might have spacers on them, track looks a bot wide for an early AS model. Could also be retro fitted with later running gear - they were a bit of a mecano set really. Either way,I works for me - but then I'm not pedantic about these things and hate using the word 'correct' in this context..

    I just enjoy the car! :)

    Same goes for seats - they could be alfa or lancia ( could be a frau label on the side)


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades


    Call me a cynic, but the alloys just don't inspire confidence. Whyever anyone would put them onto a 124 Spider in beyond me, and I don't know if its just the photos, but they don't look exactly safe

    43487692.jpeg

    Also are the seats original, they look a bit big but I know very little about these things outside of the fact that they are very very pretty
    Seats almost certainly aftermarket...

    This was mine (*sniff*).

    DSCF0923.jpg

    I had aftermarket wheels too which I always hated, though they weren't as bad as the ones on this one. I always wanted a set of cromadoras.

    Such a lovely rear end!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    The kind of car we all need on days like today! :D

    That looks fantastic


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ 26000 Elephants


    Dades wrote: »
    Never noticed the RHD...

    Suggests it was brought from the US to the UK and converted over. They were never made in RHD. However I do find it very odd that this important work wasn't mentioned. How well does the buyer actually know the car... could you be sure it is rust free?

    It doesn't have the rear quarter side light of american spec cars, also the lights are early European. Compare with the US lights on your old one.

    At this stage hese cars are so pick'n'mix you would need a vin to be sure.

    (you are right, they never made RHD versions, so has to be a conversion... Never knew that.)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ w124man


    The kind of car we all need on days like today! :D



    Why? Its fcukin raining here!


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    w124man wrote: »
    Why? Its fcukin raining here!

    It was nice here yesterday, raining this morning however...

    Anyway,

    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/morris-1800/9820254?offset=2
    43625453.jpeg

    Ohh I'd love this!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ Thinkingaboutit


    It was nice here yesterday, raining this morning however...

    Anyway,

    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/morris-1800/9820254?offset=2
    43625453.jpeg

    Ohh I'd love this!!

    Too much surely, unless that is some superficial damage from a leak and that mostly needs recommissioning. I don't know.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    Too much surely, unless that is some superficial damage from a leak and that mostly needs recommissioning. I don't know.

    For sure. I got less than half that for my road going one owner 1971 ZA reg 18/85 a few weeks ago


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭ galwaytt


    ....saw a GTV cabrio sitting with a fubar'd roof in Adrian Quinn car sales in Galway last week..........can't imagine this weather is doing it any favours...........red leather interior too iirc......... :(

    where did my signature go ?



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭ hi5




  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    That looks very smart


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic




  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 Tzar Chasm



    That looks rather odd with those back doors, considering they can be converted to proper 2dr configuration.

    5500 is a bit much considering the amount of work needed if you wanted to either race it properly or drive it around regularly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭ Duke O Smiley


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »

    5500 is a bit much considering the amount of work needed if you wanted to either race it properly or drive it around regularly.

    Ah but this is an Escort man, an Escort!

    Countryman's gold


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 Tzar Chasm


    I remember when they could be bought for 20 quid,for the express purpose of wrecking it in a field


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    That looks rather odd with those back doors, considering they can be converted to proper 2dr configuration.

    5500 is a bit much considering the amount of work needed if you wanted to either race it properly or drive it around regularly.

    There's an awful lot of work involved in fully converting to two door! If the glass in the back doors was replaced with one solid piece rather than the two pieces it would look much better I reckon, the forestry arches make a grand job of it though. With regards to work needed to drive it as is just going purely by the add I can't see how any work would be needed to drive it regularly, racing/rallying is a different story but shur the same goes for any rally spec escort a man would need a fortune to build one! As I see it around about 5k isn't too spoiled at all if it's running well and has no hidden rust issues.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 Tzar Chasm


    Well. Shes not the tidiest inside for daily use, its being listed as a rally car, so also probably have to change the shocks and sort out an exhaust.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic


    It being a wee bit untidy inside isn't what I'd call a big job to fix! Also if it had rally shocks then they'll be a massive improvement over standard and will also have adjustable stiffness so again no need to change them infact you'd be mad to change them. Then with the exhaust there's no way of telling what the set up is but even if its a straight through getting a back box won't be a huge task but again it wont be necessary it's all down to personal taste. I just feel when you see the price people want for properly rough escorts and compare it with that for around 5k it represents rather good value.


  • Registered Users Posts: 694 DakarVert


    Wouldn't touch it at that money. It's a bastardised 4-door.

    I don't understand why people weld the rear doors, even with a single piece rear glass they still look odd.

    Could have been a nice car if left original 4-door. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic


    Ah with that attitude everyone's cars would look the same! And a t 5k it's still not dear for an escort especially a healthy 1.6 manual one. I haven't seen too many welded up 4 doors but this one looks to be a pretty good job. It's never gonna appeal to the so called "purists" but then again nothing only absolute originality will and that in my eyes is just boring. I'm not saying every 4 door escort should be welded up far from it but I like to see little projects like these, they keep the scene vibrant. There's an outstanding 4 door escort for sale near me here in Roscommon at the moment but again it's not something for the "purists" :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 694 DakarVert


    I'm a big Escort fan, I just don't get a half arsed 4-door conversion, it just looks wrong.

    That car would be much nicer as a 4-door.

    It's now neither a 2-door or a 4-door.


    This is a 4-Door done correct. :cool:
    https://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-mk2-escort-honda-s2000-powered-6-speed/9899229


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭ pablo128


    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I remember when they could be bought for 20 quid,for the express purpose of wrecking it in a field

    There's a vast amount of cars which I bought cheap and wrecked in a field which would be worth thousands today.

    Hindsight would be a wonderful thing.:):)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic


    "Half-arsed" is the only viable way to do a two door conversion really if a man went to the bother of getting coupe doors and quarters along with moving the pillars he'd be far better off just buying a 2 door in the first place unless of course he got the 4 door shell for peanut's. All talking aside I really don't buy the argument that a welded up 4 door with nice arches and solid rear windows and evidence of nice clean workmanship looks odd or ugly, they just don't they're actually quite nice and the average person wouldn't know the difference! note I said person not "car enthusiast". I think the best frame of mind to take is to look at them as a third model with their own merits as they're never gonna look identical to a 2 door unless done fully which as mentioned doesn't make economic sense.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic


    pablo128 wrote: »
    There's a vast amount of cars which I bought cheap and wrecked in a field which would be worth thousands today.

    Hindsight would be a wonderful thing.:):)

    Very true it's finding the current crop of appreciating cars that one should be putting all their efforts into! Sierra's are on a solid march up the price range in Ireland at the minute, although clean base models are still pretty cheap in the uk


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭ pablo128


    Very true it's finding the current crop of appreciating cars that one should be putting all their efforts into! Sierra's are on a solid march up the price range in Ireland at the minute, although clean base models are still pretty cheap in the uk
    I think what helped the Sierra was that it wasn't favoured that much by the Banger racers, although it's a while since I've seen one.

    A car that is starting to appreciate now is the Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. Can still be bought for a few thousand. A surefire future classic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc


    can someone please explain why Escorts are making so much money ?
    Is it that they evoke fond memories for every middle aged bloke whos now got a few quid to re live some bit of their youth ?

    otherwise they are fairly humdrum compared to some of the stuff from the era no ?
    Wouldn't a Fiat 131 or a Lancia Beta or a Giulia eat it for breakfast ? ( although a fwd beta might not be as much craic )

    Although I admit the Italian ones do make me have irrational thoughts for some reason. ( sadist maybe )


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭ selectamatic


    Rally men plain and simple ;) They're an iconic rally car and used world wide for rallying especially in Ireland. The rally men have deep pockets and it's inevitable that there will be a few causalities when rallying and since there is a finite amount of escorts the price goes up! Escorts have a mystique about them but as you say there were better cars however since escorts are so popular there is a massive range aftermarket parts available for them with the result that they can be built to a massive spec where they rival modern wrc cars never mind the rivals from back in the 70's and 80's. It's like the AE86 corolla in drifting, although they make fair rally cars too!


Advertisement