Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting...or looking rather

Options
  • 08-04-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,

First time moving out of the nest. Myself and the OH found the perfect apartment. This is my first time looking for places to rent so I'm a bit frazzled

As far as we know the apartment currently has a tenant until the end of this month. There is a short viewing in 2 weeks. We have written to the landlord just under a week ago but no reply.

So my question is do we just show up to the viewing or wait until the landlord contacts us back? It's getting a little frustrating as I find myself more and more set on this place without knowing if they even received my email expressing interest.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,660 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have you tried phoning them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is the viewing a public viewing, i.e. is it advertised on the rental ad when the viewing is going to take place? If so, just show up. It's two weeks away though, that's plenty of time for the landlord to get back to you. If you're in Dublin there could be a lot of competition so go armed with references if you want to apply for it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My tips FWIW.

- References (Employment, Previous Accommodation even if it is something from the 'in-laws')
    - Deposit and first months rent (Get a receipt)
    - Bank Statements*
    - Looking Smart and Professional
    - MAKE SURE you are happy with the place. The LL is very unlikely to change anything for you.

*Please don't derail the OPs thread on the morality of this. Dublin LL's are asking for them and it's a sellers market. I'm not trying to back seat mod but I don't want to see my comment spawning a 5 page diatribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good tip.

OP, expect that there will be a lot of other couples looking at this same place. Know how much you are prepared to offer above the advertised rent. Get in early, be organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 YouWotM8

There is no phone number advertised sadly. I think it's a private owner as opposed to an agency which is why I understand that they don't want to be inundated with calls.

Thanks Michael D Not Higgins. Yes all the details are there likes times. It's looking like I might have to go to the viewing alone as the OH is in work. Should I bring their reference as well?

Also, might be a bit of an out of no where question. But we are a gay couple. I've heard it looks dodgy to landlords when they see two lads looking for an apartment (as in wreck the place not homophobic). Would we be better off disclosing our relationship?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Also thank you everyone for your tips. Will definitely be organised prior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

YouWotM8 wrote: »
    There is no phone number advertised sadly. I think it's a private owner as opposed to an agency which is why I understand that they don't want to be inundated with calls.

Thanks Michael D Not Higgins. Yes all the details are there likes times. It's looking like I might have to go to the viewing alone as the OH is in work. Should I bring their reference as well?

Also, might be a bit of an out of no where question. But we are a gay couple. I've heard it looks dodgy to landlords when they see two lads looking for an apartment (as in wreck the place not homophobic). Would we be better off disclosing our relationship?

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't unless it's a one bed. It's none of anyone's business either way but it could be seen as trying to over crowd a one bed. Unfortunately you'll have a lot of people stuck in 1850 attitude wise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

YouWotM8 wrote: »

Thanks

Yes bring all references, etc. that might be required.

The landlord could just as easily be homophobic and not offer you the place. I don't think it's their business to know your relationship but that's up to you. If you think they'd discriminate based on your gender, why wouldn't they discriminate based on your sexual orientation?

That's very true also. It is a one bed so hopefully they take the hint.....

Thanks everyone :) if there are any more words of wisdom I should hear please send em my way...along with your prayers I get this place!

While discrimination on those grounds would be deplorable and probably illegal, I would say that you care more about getting an apartment than you do about making a stand on principle. So if I were you I wouldn't mention relationship status. Just say your friend is working.

Just turn up with all references and looking smart and be in a position to give a yes / no by the end of the viewing or shortly after. It's probably also mentioning that you are both young professionals as landlords would look more favourably on those over students.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    While discrimination on those grounds would be deplorable and probably illegal, I would say that you care more about getting an apartment than you do about making a stand on principle. So if I were you I wouldn't mention relationship status. Just say your friend is working.

Just turn up with all references and looking smart and be in a position to give a yes / no by the end of the viewing or shortly after. It's probably also mentioning that you are both young professionals as landlords would look more favourably on those over students.

Yeah to be honest I couldn't care about the morality of the situation...I just want the place :P

Thanks for the advice. One final question .. If there are gonna be a lot of people there. Do I have to get the LLs attention to confirm that I want the apartment?

Just talk to them before you leave.

Advertisement