Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting 4 years - how much notice to leave?

Options
  • 07-04-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

When I moved in I agreed to rent the house for a year. I'm now four years here and I am leaving in September/October of this year. How much notice should I give to the Landlord?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Residential Tenancies Act 2004 , 4 years or more is 112 days notice to the tenant or the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Fiskar wrote: »
    Residential Tenancies Act 2004 , 4 years or more is 112 days notice to the tenant or the landlord.

Thanks Fiskar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You are on a part 4 tenancy so put in writing also that you will be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Fiskar wrote: »

Tenant only has to give 56 days no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I thought the whole thing started again after four years!

AH that's just the security of tenure. 56 days OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

8 weeks (ie 56 days) is correct.

But note that you can mutually agree a shorter timeframe, if it's acceptable to both parties. In the current climate, where a LL can often re-tenant very quickly for a higher rent, many are keen for shorter periods.

(This may not affect the OP, but is worth noting for other readers)

Advertisement