Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never been on rent allowance

Options
  • 07-04-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

i saw a flat the other day in daft and it said rent allowance accepted , I am out of work the last 6 months and I think I qualify for it , does the landlord set this up or do I have to apply for it myself ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

thefires wrote: »
    i saw a flat the other day in daft and it said rent allowance accepted , I am out of work the last 6 months and I think I qualify for it , does the landlord set this up or do I have to apply for it myself ??

You have to apply and meet the criteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You have to have also been renting privately for at least six months before you can apply for RA. See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You have to have also been renting privately for at least six months before you can apply for RA. See here.

That's rough ... If you're genuinely in need of it, how are you supposed to pay the rent for 6 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

professore wrote: »
    That's rough ... If you're genuinely in need of it, how are you supposed to pay the rent for 6 months?

You need to show that you were able to afford the rent and now have fallen on hard times. If you're living at home on SW and just decide to move out you won't be eligible.

You either have to be renting privately for the last 6 months OR have been assessed by the Local Authority and be in need of social housing assistance.

Advertisement