Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling out of sale contracts signed but not exchanged

Options
  • 07-04-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I have signed contracts and given my solicitor a deposit (made out to sellers solicitor). The contracts have not been exchanged yet. My solicitor is waiting for my go ahead as I had to double check something with the mortgage. My solicitor is on holidays until Thursday. Can I still pull out and get my deposit back? Thank.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If the contract hasn't been handed over I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes. Until both parties have signed and returned contracts, there is no binding agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Contact your solicitor's office. Tell them clearly to put the transaction on hold and not to send the contract until you have had an opportunity to discuss it with your solicitor. You don't want to risk a mistake being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I have signed contracts and given my solicitor a deposit (made out to sellers solicitor). The contracts have not been exchanged yet. My solicitor is waiting for my go ahead as I had to double check something with the mortgage. My solicitor is on holidays until Thursday. Can I still pull out and get my deposit back? Thank.

Do you mind if I ask why your pulling out. I'm going through a purchase myself at the moment. Is there anything to be looking out for ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah you can pull out up until the countersigned contract is back with your solicitor. We did this once and while im not proud of it it was what we had to do at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

castle2012 wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask why your pulling out. I'm going through a purchase myself at the moment. Is there anything to be looking out for ?

I usually flick through Askaboutmoney property related posts in addition to boards.ie and the OP explained the reason for pulling out there...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/contracts-signed-but-not-exchanged-pulling-out.193167/

"we have the opportunity to buy a family member's home at a really good price. (It is a much bigger house)"

Sucks for seller but guess this type of stuff happens all of the time on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Idioteque wrote: »
    I usually flick through Askaboutmoney property related posts in addition to boards.ie and the OP explained the reason for pulling out there...

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/contracts-signed-but-not-exchanged-pulling-out.193167/

"we have the opportunity to buy a family member's home at a really good price. (It is a much bigger house)"

Sucks for seller but guess this type of stuff happens all of the time on both sides.

Sellers entertain gazumping far too often for me to feel sorry for them in this situation. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Closed at the OP's request.
    Thankyou guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement