Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent being taken twice in the same month

Options
  • 05-04-2015 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

This has happened 3 times now, I moved in mid aug, paid half a month up front along with the deposit, then the rent was taken out on the 1st of sep, then again on the 30th, rent was taken out of my account on the 1st of december and the 30th, then 2nd of march and then the 30th, so I have been charged 8 times over the past 7 months, my landlady is unfortunately very old and hasnt a clue, and the letting agent wont answer the phone, what are my options?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

_oveless_ wrote: »
    This has happened 3 times now, I moved in mid aug, paid half a month up front along with the deposit, then the rent was taken out on the 1st of sep, then again on the 30th, rent was taken out of my account on the 1st of december and the 30th, then 2nd of march and then the 30th, so I have been charged 8 times over the past 7 months, my landlady is unfortunately very old and hasnt a clue, and the letting agent wont answer the phone, what are my options?

You've paid eight months rent for eight months including April which is normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

I'd guess that your rent is taken out last day of month. When that coincides with a weekend , it hits the bank nearest next day, don't think there's any big mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you have a standing order set up on your account? If your SO date coincides with a weekend, then the bank will deduct it early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭Tow

It must be be the OP's own standing order. Old ladies who do not have a clue tend not to be direct debit originators :-)

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Also, you've only paid 6 and a half months' rent (half in aug, 2 in sep, 2 in dec, 2 in march) for 7.5 months stay (mid aug-end of mar) unless Im missing something or there were other normal monthly payments that you havent referred to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

_oveless_ wrote: »

Looks like your rent comes out every 4 weeks rather than monthly. What does your lease say?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Paid 2 weeks in mid August to the end of august.
    Paid 1 Sept for the month of September.
    Paid 30th September for month of October.
    Appears to be no payment for November
    Paid 1 December, for month of December
    Paid 30 December for month of January
    Appears to be no payment of February
    Paid 2nd March for month of March
    Paid 30th March for month of April

Unless I am mistaken, you haven't paid for the month of November or February, unless you have omitted those payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

aido79 wrote: »
    Looks like your rent comes out every 4 weeks rather than monthly. What does your lease say?

More importantly, what did the standing order which the OP gave to their own bank say?

Seriously, it's your bank who you should be asking about this.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

More importantly, what did the standing order which the OP gave to their own bank say?

Seriously, it's your bank who you should be asking about this.

Sorry yes it would be the standing order that would dictate how often the rent is taken from OP's account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Paid 2 weeks in mid August to the end of august.
    Paid 1 Sept for the month of September.
    Paid 30th September for month of October.
    Appears to be no payment for November
    Paid 1 December, for month of December
    Paid 30 December for month of January
    Appears to be no payment of February
    Paid 2nd March for month of March
    Paid 30th March for month of April

Unless I am mistaken, you haven't paid for the month of November or February, unless you have omitted those payments?

FFS you're obviously mistaken. He only listed the months where he thinks there's an issue - i.e. those in which payment was taken twice. You reckon if he was getting away with a few months of not paying rent he'd be complaining about it?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

FFS you're obviously mistaken. He only listed the months where he thinks there's an issue - i.e. those in which payment was taken twice. You reckon if he was getting away with a few months of not paying rent he'd be complaining about it?!
    Well, if the OP lays it out as I have and inserts the payments for Nov and Feb then all is well and he hasn't overpaid. Simples.
    And in my opinion, there is no need for bad language, even in abbreviated form.

Advertisement