Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean Options

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I don't have a bean to cup machine just a normal espresso machine and a burr grinder. I'm fairly new to the espresso making myself but after a lot of research and taste tests I found an amazing roasters in Fermoy in Cork http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/products/ I'm using the blackwater blend , red rock blend and Brazilian ipanema at the the moment and I'm getting amazing results. I was thinking about upgrading to a bean to cup but after reading this I have my doubts.

That's the big debate I'm having at the moment. Bean to cup or an espresso machine. Tough trying to decide what's the best route to go down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

cmac2009 wrote: »
    That's the big debate I'm having at the moment. Bean to cup or an espresso machine. Tough trying to decide what's the best route to go down

You will definitely get better results with a good quality grinder and espresso machine (and a little experience) as opposed to a bean-to-cup machine. However, if you're a a bit lazy like me and you can't be bothered with the whole faff of grinding and extracting just to get a slightly better result then bean-to-cup is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I don't have a bean to cup machine just a normal espresso machine and a burr grinder. I'm fairly new to the espresso making myself but after a lot of research and taste tests I found an amazing roasters in Fermoy in Cork http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/products/ I'm using the blackwater blend , red rock blend and Brazilian ipanema at the the moment and I'm getting amazing results. I was thinking about upgrading to a bean to cup but after reading this I have my doubts.

Previous to have the De'Longhi bean to cup machine I had a Gaggia classic.

I ground the beans in batches before brewing the coffee's with the classic. There is a whole lot more mess going and it take a bit longer each time. The De'Longhi gives you convenience of having a coffee at the touch of a button but you lose some of the tailoring which you can achieve with a pump machine.

I prefer the De'Longhi just for the convenience, I find I'm drinking more coffee with it.

Just my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

What model magnifica are you all using?

This is the one I got, a bargain alert on boards.ie last year notified me of it, it came to about €260 at the time (£199).

• Advertisement

You really lucked out with that bargain. Like a dog I missed it.

You really lucked out with that bargain. Like a dog I missed it.

I know, a good few boardsies got it, it was a very active thread in bargain alerts at the time. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I know, a good few boardsies got it, it was a very active thread in bargain alerts at the time. :-)

Have the same machine - cost £200 or about €240 at the time.
    I am using Ponaire beans at the moment but would also recommend bailies or coffeemojo.ie - all three are very good value options if cost is an issue. Ponaire and bailies offer free delivery with about 500g or so - which means you can order small amount regularly and ensure you have fresh beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

Picked up that model machine at the time as well. Use it almost every day and its very handy, Use the aeropress and grinder every so often but you cant beat the bean to cup for handiness. Saying that I recon the aeropress still gives a better cup of coffee. As long as you use good quality freshly roasted beans your on a winner. Currently have a sub with http://www.badgeranddodo.ie and really like their beans. Got these beans from discountcoffee.ie recently and found them just ok,
    http://www.discountcoffee.ie/sumatra-mandheling-coffee-beans-1kg. bag was probally too big for me and I thought Id never get to the end of them. Every now and again get some of Coffe Mojo and Bailies as well, all good quality. Used to use Has Bean but found them too expensive when shipping came into it.
    Finding that the Delonghi actually give fairly decent foam as well for latte type drinks, but recently just drinking espresso or small americanos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

ESAM3200S - it'll be 5 years old next month

• Advertisement

That says a lot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Have the same machine - cost £200 or about €240 at the time.
    I am using Ponaire beans at the moment but would also recommend bailies or coffeemojo.ie - all three are very good value options if cost is an issue. Ponaire and bailies offer free delivery with about 500g or so - which means you can order small amount regularly and ensure you have fresh beans.

I think this is the way to go based on all the good advice.

No more bulk buying for me!

Advertisement