Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which crisps are the best crisps?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

SuperQuinn yellow pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh and KP Fresh and Golden 12 pack in Dealz (Cheese and Onion/Salt and Vinegar/Ready Salted), only €1.49 and SO delicious...but a bit more high in fat than usual standard size bags of crisps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I would have posted earlier, except i was making my way through a large bag of Hunky Dory's Crinkled cut cheese & onion, hmmm!

Did i hear right that there's a shop opened up, just for crisps only, saw the intro for the 9 o clock news, but didnt see the rest?
    I think it's a Tayto sandwich pop up emulating the one up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Generally, when people have a battle of the crisps discussion, it always seems to come down to King or Tayto but I think both Keoghs and O'Donnells shít all over them at the minute.

Walkers are incredibly bland compared to the Irish brands to be honest.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Luap wrote: »
    Frisps were amazing. They still around?
    Aye, they're still around in some places alright. I mostly find them as multipacks with more air than frisps inside the packets though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Kalman wrote: »
    None of them are good for you.

We'd better ban them so, lord knows we all need those extra few years in a retirement home.

Meanies all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

kfallon wrote: »
    Monster Munch are the same!

They are a-maize-ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

O'Donnell's Vinegar and Sea Salt crisps, by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Tayto and King are my fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Monster Munch used to be awesome then they changed them.....sad day!

Monster Munch haven't changed, happily.

It's just that a lot of the siopas (Seachtain na Gaeilge and all that!:)) are stocking Tayto's Mighty Munch instead - which to my tastebuds have a more bready and less chrunchy texture to them and have a distinctly less spicy kick!:D

• Advertisement

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Nik Naks...No other crisp or cornsnack compares...except for maybe scampi fries...

http://www.kpsnacks.com/assets/images/brands/niknaks.png

Nik Naks are nice enough but the Tayto Crun Chos (hot dog flavour) were much crunchier!:)

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Johnny onion rings are always good, going to get some tomorrow.

Some onions rings have a smooth texture which I find are not as flavoursome as the ones with the rough edges, for some reason.

I find that Perri onion rings tend to have that smooth texture, the same as the Jonnie onion rings, but that the bags of Onion Rings from SuperValu have that nice crunchy rough texture and have a nicer flavour, a more oniony salty flavour than the Perri and Jonnie brands, but perhaps a bit greasier.

Tesco had big bags of onion rings - I got them before Christmas, similar to the SuperValu ones - which I considered quite delicious!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Pringles
    Taytos
    Doritios
    Mccoys
    Walkers
    Quavers

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Keogh's Shamrock & Sourcream
    O Donnell's Cheese & Onion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ghosties, bacon flavoured..very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

What about Hula Hoops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

kfallon wrote: »
    Used to love Alien Spacers and Meanies too
    Turpentine wrote: »
    Meanies all the way.

Got to say it's hard to pass off the big bag of Meanies in the supermarket so there's generally a few packets in my cupboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pringles; Texas BBQ or Sour Cream & Onion.

Irish brands; Kings easily.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hula Hoops are awesome (except salt & vinegar, but I don't like s&v on anything)

There's also the tayto version of the walkers sensations. Bistro, I think they're called. The cheese and onion flavour is super, but you'll stink afterwards, it's like if you imagine your breath after a regular old pack of cheese and onion, then multiply it by around 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

So many people are mentioning King Cheese and onion! I've always found that they smell like feet and taste like armpit! Don't hurt me....

A cheese and onion crisp I do like - Pom Bears. I know they're for kids, but damn they're good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I like the own brand stuff at m&s, or kettle chips. Pringles are also ok. I can't stand tayto, kings etc, the smell really puts me off and the flavours are too strong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Having always been a strong tayto and king man, I feel guilty in saying I may have found a new favourite.

While in a popular sports bar in Dublin, I was horrified that they didn't have either of the brands above to go with my cold beer.

However, I wasn't fussy, and took whatever they had- O'Donnells cheese and onion.

wow. wow. amazingly crunchy, flavoursome and satisfying. I see them now popping up in Spar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm glad to see so many people mentioning O'Donnells cheese and onion. The college shops stocks them here and I'm addicted. Tayto, walkers etc. all seem so bland and flavourless in comparison.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Rancheros yet.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I was in australia there were the most amazing crisps in the vending machine in the canteen where I worked. I can't remember the brand, but they were honey soy chicken flavour. They were out of this world! If I'd been thinking smart, I'd have shipped a big box of them home, so I could have weaned myself off them gradually, rather than the cold turkey shock I got when I arrived back to find they didn't sell them anywhere here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

O'Donnell's Jalapeno & Sour Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

1. O'Donnells Cheese and Onion
    2. King Cheese and Onion
    3. Walkers Max Cheese and Onion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

King Gold Standard Wexford Vintage Cheddar Cheese & Spring Onion, King Gold Standard Leo Burdock's salt & vinegar flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There used to be a Perri Pub Crisp, nicest cheese n onion crisp ever. I heard there is no market any more for the oul "pub" crisp anymore.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

There used to be a Perri Pub Crisp, nicest cheese n onion crisp ever. I heard there is no market any more for the oul "pub" crisp anymore.:(

The secret ingredient was extra salt ;)

Advertisement