Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best home insurance provider?

Options
  • 27-02-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

My question is about home insurance so I hope it's the correct section.

We have recently been mortgaged approved and decided to just go with BOI for the insurance cover as I found it a bit strange trying to arrange cover for a house that I had no idea if/ when I'd actually own it...the process of mortgage approval to drawdown to close of sale is a bit grey to say the least!

Anyway, the sale is being finalised at present and there's still a small window of opportunity to change the policy/ provider.

How do people rate BOI's insurance provision (underwritten by RSA Insurance Ireland Limited)? Are there any providers that stand out above the rest in terms of cover, protection, peace of mind while still being cost-effective? Water damage is my biggest fear (along with fire of course) and there seems to be an increased excess surrounding events of water damage. The policy excess is €350 but where water is concerned it is automatic excess of €600.

I understand that insurance providers are jumpy given the recent storm damage experienced in some counties during the last few years etc but does any provider excel in this area above their competitors?

The quote was very reasonable at €231 per annum but I don't mind paying more for a bit more peace of mind.

Also, is it a bad idea to seek cover from the financial institution that provided your loan? Maybe it could be a good idea to just stick with them for the year and change next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

My question is about home insurance so I hope it's the correct section.

Also, is it a bad idea to seek cover from the financial institution that provided your loan? Maybe it could be a good idea to just stick with them for the year and change next year?

im kinda in the same boat,I think i got a fairly good quote off aviva,you should chance a broker,what about life assurance? I think i'l just go with the loan provider for the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

Life assurance is not a condition of the loan contract believe it or not. I would still like to go with one though as it make sense to be honest. I think chill.ie were offering mortgage protection from €10/month.....I will need to check this out again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭candlemouse

Its not clear what type of insurance you are looking for ? Mortgage insurance and/or Home (Building) and/or Content and/or Public Liability (or perhaps this is included in one of the others). These all cover different things. And some are not mandatory all be it you accept any risk.

For example, my understanding is that Home (Building) insurance covers the cost of physically rebuilding the home. This does NOT include replacing flooring, washing machine/fridge or ANY electrically appliances, curtains, etc.

Advertisement