Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Principal Officer in the Civil Service

12829303133

Comments



  • Maybenever wrote: »
    23 remaining on the panel from 78. That would point to 55. If the panel is at 63(ish) it would point to a few that are waiting on regional appointments.

    I think it's irrelevant at this stage anyway. A new panel will be advertised in a few weeks, and the ten or so people who are waiting will have six to nine months max perhaps left to accept an offer.

    I don't think once a new panel is formed the previous one is automatically defunct.

    Even if they could say to the guy in Roscommon or wherever that's waiting for a post in his area - we'll keep your location open for a while longer, but how long would you do so? A year, two years, five years? In doing so, you're inadvertently blocking anyone else in those locations from applying for a post in those locations for the duration.




  • Maybenever wrote: »
    23 remaining on the panel from 78. That would point to 55. If the panel is at 63(ish) it would point to a few that are waiting on regional appointments.

    some of the 23 may have been promoted through other competition in the meantime

    same with some of the 18 maybe turned down because of promotion elsewhere




  • Riskymove wrote: »
    some of the 23 may have been promoted through other competition in the meantime

    same with some of the 18 maybe turned down because of promotion elsewhere

    Forgive my ignorance as I am not currently employed in the Civil/Public services but do all internal and interdepartmental promotions now have to involve completion of PAS tests or is it possible to go from AP to PO without participating in a PAS recruitment campaign.




  • Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance as I am not currently employed in the Civil/Public services but do all internal and interdepartmental promotions now have to involve completion of PAS tests or is it possible to go from AP to PO without participating in a PAS recruitment campaign.

    An internal competition will have an internal process and won't involve PAS.

    An open competition, including the interdepartmental, will involve a PAS recruitment process.




  • Moycullen1 wrote: »
    is it possible to go from AP to PO without participating in a PAS recruitment campaign.

    as above, yes

    But not every Civil servant on panel would be an AP

    there could also be other types of civil servants (Professional or Technical staff for example) or public servants who could have been promoted to PO equivalent (or higher) posts elsewhere in PS


  • Advertisement


  • Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance as I am not currently employed in the Civil/Public services but do all internal and interdepartmental promotions now have to involve completion of PAS tests or is it possible to go from AP to PO without participating in a PAS recruitment campaign.

    Short answer to your question is yes.

    There is a blend of internal and external with regard to PO appointments. Internal competitions don't go through PAS and are run by the individual Department. While it is open to the Department to run suitability tests i.e. what a lot of people refer to as psychometric tests, but the majority of Depts don't.
    In general, all Open competitions for PO are run through the PAS.
    There are no interdepartmental competitions for promotion to PO.

    The sequence for appointment to PO level is (supposed to be) 1 appointment from an internal panel then 2 appointments from the open panel followed by one appointment from an internal panel and so on.




  • Heard of another appointment from the open in Dublin last week - to D/Housing (I think)




  • Aye, specialist role but off the PO panel.

    Any other news?




  • Soooooo........ *shuffles around with hands in pockets*




  • Maybenever wrote: »
    Soooooo........ *shuffles around with hands in pockets*

    Yeah, everything has gone very quiet. I'm sure PAS will break the silence any day now with news of a new comp.


  • Advertisement


  • The Dept of Housing is running a competition for a position in Mayo.




  • ShellyMCD wrote:
    The Dept of Housing is running a competition for a position in Mayo.


    Yep, Water Division I think




  • redarse wrote: »
    Yep, Water Division I think
    Is there not a PAS Mayo open panel already?




  • Contacted PAS yesterday, panel is likely to expire end of summer or at least the new comp will be up and running by then.

    Another PO appointed in Dublin with Housing. I'd say the regions could likely expire - doesn't look like anyone wanted to go to Ballina anyway. Although PAS did hint that they may extend the regional panels - then again, the person didn't get my regions right and had to check when I queried them :p




  • Maybenever wrote: »
    Contacted PAS yesterday, panel is likely to expire end of summer or at least the new comp will be up and running by then.

    Another PO appointed in Dublin with Housing. I'd say the regions could likely expire - doesn't look like anyone wanted to go to Ballina anyway. Although PAS did hint that they may extend the regional panels - then again, the person didn't get my regions right and had to check when I queried them :p

    I've been hearing that the new PO competition will be launched as soon as within the next two weeks.




  • Uriel. wrote: »
    I've been hearing that the new PO competition will be launched as soon as within the next two weeks.

    End Q2 is something which was mentioned earlier this year.




  • Great. Looking forward to pushing that big rock back up the hill again.




  • Any word on when a new competition might open?




  • ShellyMCD wrote: »
    Any word on when a new competition might open?

    Not sure when the comp will open but it looks like the existing panel will run its 2 year course




  • I was told the new comp will start at the end of the summer and there would be some overlap. There are regional candidates left on the panel that haven't been offered positions.

    Brexit could throw a spanner in the works from what I hear but that could just be gossip.


  • Advertisement


  • Maybenever wrote: »
    I was told the new comp will start at the end of the summer and there would be some overlap. There are regional candidates left on the panel that haven't been offered positions.

    Brexit could throw a spanner in the works from what I hear but that could just be gossip.

    The AHCPS have advised their members that DPER have not provided any indication of plans for a new competition.




  • hardybuck wrote: »
    The AHCPS have advised their members that DPER have not provided any indication of plans for a new competition.

    Latest is that PAS will advertise within next week or two




  • Riskymove wrote: »
    Latest is that PAS will advertise within next week or two

    I would be surprised if they went out before the budget.

    On the one hand they're probably looking at retirements etc. across the Civil Service and no general panel in place to be drawn from.

    On the other hand a lot of the Departmental spending will be cut back next year going by the noises coming from Donohoe today.




  • hardybuck wrote: »
    I would be surprised if they went out before the budget.

    well I think the approach is that they need a panel

    if they decide to slow down or stop actually taking people then that's another days work




  • Will we start a new standalone thread for this comp?

    Edit: I've opened a new one entitled " Principal Officer competition 2019"




  • If anyone gets any news from PAS on the existing panel I'd appreciate an update. They were a bit vague the last time I checked about the overlap.




  • Will we start a new standalone thread for this comp?

    Edit: I've opened a new one entitled " Principal Officer competition 2019"




    Couldnt find the new thread!




  • Summer2019 wrote: »
    Couldnt find the new thread!

    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058014895/1

    We shortlisted you out (joke!)


  • Advertisement


  • Apparently the panel, which I think just has regional candidates left on it, will remain in place until the new one is formed. This is expected to be Jan 2020.


Advertisement