Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Big news today for the reserves

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Id say that the public campaigns will continue but that the reserves will have their own internal stream which would see a steady amount of reserves being recruited with each intake. This internal stream is both positive and constructive as people who would like to become full timers would gain excellent experience while reserves and see that their contribution is better recognised by senior management by having a more defined pathway that feeds directly into recruitment via the this internal stream. The current set up gives no recognition or weighting to a reserve in the stages of selection (aptitudes) etc and has left significant and understandable bad taste with reserves.
    An internal stream for reserves should have been part of this current campaign as god knows AGS had long enough to think about it while recruitment ceased while at the same time a significant report was compiled which did still not come up with the concept of an internal stream for reserves. One does wonder what these report committees actually do that's of any constructive use while they use up huge amounts of public money.
    This internal stream (assuming it happens) will shine a more positive light on the role and contribution of reserves and lead to a more constructive process and does show that the new commissioner has some worthwhile substance and willingness to bring about some well overdue and positive change in AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Copaholic wrote: »
    Id say that the public campaigns will continue but that the reserves will have their own internal stream which would see a steady amount of reserves being recruited with each intake. This internal stream is both positive and constructive as people who would like to become full timers would gain excellent experience while reserves and see that their contribution is better recognised by senior management by having a pathway the to feed directly into recruitment via the this internal stream. The current set up gives no recognition or weighting to a reserve in the stages of selection (aptitudes) etc and has left significant bad taste with reserves. This internal stream (assuming it happens) will shine a more positive light on the role and contribution of reserves and lead to a more constructive process.

100% agree, excellent point, ideally this would be implemented going forward,
    here s hoping things are changing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Canyon86 wrote: »
    100% agree, excellent point, ideally this would be implemented going forward,
    here s hoping things are changing:)

I hope they get the ball rolling on a medical/class in the next couple months.

Canyon86 do u Eva regret not accepting an offer from the GR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

RUNNER 1 wrote: »

Hi Runner,

no I dont, I wouldnt be able to devote 100% of my time to it due to work commitments, I spend a lot of time abroad with my job etc,

It would be selfish of me to accept a place I could not dedicate to,

When I originally applied in 2014 I was working in a job based in my home place,

Hope you get sorted tho mate :)

Ahhh u were better off so. I hope so to man, herd nothing yet tho .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

With the new of recruitment they should move things along quicker. My BG checks went from being frozen to being set for final decision with in the space of a month so something is happening.

Good to hear man , my checks are ment to be done , but I had to apply for an educational exemption in maths so god knows how long that will take . say they have a good 60 r 70 waiting on medicals if not more.
    Any1 know anything about educational exemptions?

Good to hear man , my checks are ment to be done , but I had to apply for an educational exemption in maths so god knows how long that will take . say they have a good 60 r 70 waiting on medicals if not more.
    Any1 know anything about educational exemptions?

I think the education requirements don't apply to the reserves like they do the full time?

No they do 100% I had to fill out form coz I was a grade behind in maths . hopefully doesn't take years like the BR form

No they do 100% I had to fill out form coz I was a grade behind in maths . hopefully doesn't take years like the BR form

The Garda Commissioner may exempt a person from meeting these requirements if satisfied that the person has personal attributes which otherwise render him or her suitable to be admitted as a reserve trainee. (This only occurs in exceptional circumstances).

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed she let's me away with it , iv herd of people getting these exemptions and doing OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Fingers crossed she let's me away with it , iv herd of people getting these exemptions and doing OK.

I got one. Not because I am stupid but because back when I was 16/17 I didn't realise the importance of the LC and never really cared like I do now. I should really sit the LC again but with work its tuff to try attend classes etc.. Plus I need my own certs for work as it is.

I would have done much better if the education system had of been continuous assessment like it was in college. Passed everything in there no problems.

Tallclass thanks for the reply pal, how long were u waiting to find out? Please say it doesn't take ages, haha, like I have the full LC just not maths really need to resit the maths myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Not long. Just make sure you take your time filling out the exemption. The commissioner has to read and sign it. So up to her really I would think. Best of luck with.

TallGlass wrote:
    Not long. Just make sure you take your time filling out the exemption. The commissioner has to read and sign it. So up to her really I would think. Best of luck with.

Honestly thanks pal , I did take my time then I went back and found like 4 spelling mistakes ,I was like what a Muppet ,but sure here will see how it goes .I have abit of charity work done and some good work exp so let hope that enough

Advertisement