Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Pellet Stove

• 07-02-2015 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ miami2007

Hi there,

We are looking at a pellet stove to heat a large-ish room - 7m x 3.5m. We were originally going to go with a regular 4kw Waterford Stanley (Oisin i think) and have come across the pellet stove during my research...
    I like the possibility of a timer and seems less dirty to manage. They don't look as nice...but was wondering (a) if this was the only downside? and (b) if anyone can recommend and supplier/fitter?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ miami2007

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ huntsman77

Hi we put in a pellet stove and love it as you said probly doesn't look as cosy as solid fuel but far cleaner and less hassle put pellets in press a button and looks after itself 2 mins hoovers it out next morning. Downside is there good bit more expensive.

thanks huntsman, yeah pricey enough really. its the hassle factor that really sells it...not sure what to do! not many stockists either which is a bit of a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ JonathonS

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ declan52

We have a mcz pellet stove in our sunroom. Its near enough 5*5m. Ours provides all our heat and hot water and is a great job. I think to pay such a fairly big amount just to heat a room wouldn't be that wise of a move. A 4-5kw wood burning stove will put out far more heat.
    Both types of stoves need cleaned out fairly regularly but with an ordinary stove you will have no maintaince or servicing costs each year .

• Advertisement

im in dublin...

i think you're probably right declan, it is a lot just to heat one room - we might go back to the drawing board...

I checked out wood pellet stoves recently. It would be worth talking to Ecostoves in Dunboyne to compare wood-burners to pellet stoves. I visited a number of shops that sell wood-burners only, and they warned me off the cheap Chinese-made wood-burners that can be had at very low prices. If you are going for a wood burner then look at quality products like Morso, Arrada or similar. You will find the price difference with pellet burners narrows. I decided on a pellet burner, they are much cleaner to run, the fuel is easier to store and handle, they can be controlled electronically (even by remote app). Better from an environmental point of view too, if that is a factor. Comparisons are difficult, but I reckon it will be cheaper to run. I'm now trying to find a model that suite my room - many of the designs do look a little strange to Irish eyes, especially the Italian ones.

thanks jonathon - i saw ecostoves online and thought they looked good, will try and pop down on saturday. i think we are going to move away from the pellet, i was thinking last night about the price and we paid 2.5k for a new kerosene bolier last year to heat the whole house and now it seems a bit crazy to pay out 3k on a pellet stove for one room.....i do love the convenience factor and the remote is amazing but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mr_jacek

What do you think about pellet boiler for central heating compare to stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52

mr_jacek wrote: »
    What do you think about pellet boiler for central heating compare to stove?
    u need good dry storage for the hopper
    condensation in Ireland in these hoppers is a problem the mainland Europeans for stoves forgot about

• Advertisement

+1 on dry storage. Damp pellets spell disaster for pellet burners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hollytreehouse

i have been looking for a pellet stove for the last few weeks. Just a room heater 22.5 ft by 15 ft. I chose a Ravelli Aria admit was more the traditional shape. The cost on sale for it was €2650. By chance I typed in Ravelli Aria into google. Getting the same stove for €1661 from Italy including delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭ skooterblue2

I have a Sideros, its crap! I had no say in the purchase as it predated the house.
    It does heat the place, but there is no heat when it is turned off compared to the Stanley which could still be warm in the morning.
    The fuel is bulky. Badly bagged and little choice of suppliers (notice how easy the bags get holed in Woodies).
    There are problems with parts.
    My father has a Stanley. No problems with fuel, holds heat, parts readily available and easy to install. Proven time and time again.
    Sure the Stanley needs to be cleaned daily and needs a bit of skill to light but .... it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sophir

i have been looking for a pellet stove for the last few weeks. Just a room heater 22.5 ft by 15 ft. I chose a Ravelli Aria admit was more the traditional shape. The cost on sale for it was €2650. By chance I typed in Ravelli Aria into google. Getting the same stove for €1661 from Italy including delivery

Hollytreehouse, did u get the pellet stove from Italy at the end? If so would u share the website, contacts please

Advertisement