Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom Webmail. LOGIN ... gonna have a meltdown!!!

Options
  • 02-02-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

All was well until last Saturday, my email stopped working, have the same password and user name for the last 10 years approx.... Phoned the premium rate number for eircom.. couldnt help me.

It seems like it just wont work, there were no security questions on my account, so i cannoot use that to reset the password. I have phoned eircom and they cannot verify me as the account holder as the phone number I used when setting up the account is not the one I have now. I am not an eircom broadband customer any more...

so my account is active but Lost as i cannot verify who I am!!!!:mad:

Iv given them my password, which wouldnt work for them either and to reset the account or whatever they do, they need to verify who i am.... and they cant cos iv no phone number they can call to talk to me !!!
    I said i can tell them what emails are there, who i sent them to etc but still no good.

Helpppppppppp!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Chat with them about the Data Protection directive and about how you will be formally asking for asking for the electronic contents of your email account, if you cannot get in some other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I thought that you lost your eircom email as soon as you no longer are a customer. Is there any chance that for some reason this only kicked in last Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ardmacha wrote: »
    Chat with them about the Data Protection directive and about how you will be formally asking for asking for the electronic contents of your email account, if you cannot get in some other way.

Won't work!

If they can't verify the identity of the person they won't exactly be handing out the emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Stick a post in the forum here: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

They seem slightly more helpful at actually resolving stuff there as opposed to the call centre people who are reading off scripts etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try the Eircom forum or alternatively you ask them to post out the password. I imagine you still know the number of the line you had with them, and they might still have a record of your address. Long way around it.

Date of birth, anything? If you could chase upan old BBill that might help.

Until they verify it's you, don't hold your breath.

Other way is by listing all the IP Addresses you logged in from, email addresses you sent emails to etc. But that mightnt work (and for good reasons too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

THank You to everyone so far for tips and ideas.... I hope they will resolve it for me ... ill keep you all updated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Adrianno28 wrote: »
    <snip> I am not an eircom broadband customer any more... <snip>
    That's the only bit that's relevant here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You don't have to be an eircom customer to have and Eircom email address.
    Alun wrote: »
    That's the only bit that's relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I don't think that is correct - see their sign up page. They appear to only service eircom.net customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct - see their sign up page. They appear to only service eircom.net customers.

I have about a dozen Eircom email accounts and I haven't been a customer of theirs for years. If you don't have an Eircom connection then afaik you can't set up a new account but can still access old accounts and many people do just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You have to have been one at one stage to have had one, and there's zero obligation on eircom to continue supplying you with an email service or supporting your continued use of it once you are no longer a customer of theirs, and you should have no expectation of that happening either.

The fact that they can't be bothered disabling them once you leave them as a customer is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There's zero obligation on any service provider to provide a free email service, whether you're a customer or not. What you quoted is factually correct, as my3cents has confirmed.

Heck there's zero obligation on Google to provide gmail :rolleyes:

Also, there is a good reason why they haven't disabled the service for non eircom customers. Have a think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

timmywex wrote: »
    Won't work!

If they can't verify the identity of the person they won't exactly be handing out the emails!

They have to make a reasonable effort to do so, which they probably haven't bothered to do so far. Data protection would mean things being escalated beyond the oily rag on the phone.

AnCatDubh wrote: »

When I set up my account in 2007 I wasnt an eircom customer !

ardmacha wrote: »
    They have to make a reasonable effort to do so, which they probably haven't bothered to do so far.

Well I have to say in fairness they make a reasonable effort.

Advertisement