Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Gorey/Wexford

Options
  • 29-01-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks, myself and my family (wife and 3 young kids) are plannng on moving to Gorey or further in Wexford and I'm looking for recommendations and tips. We are moving from South dublin so looking for all info possible!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Would be a great move ,small class numbers in schools. very friendly people slower pace of life ,house prices good at the moment, Gorey is a great town with a large variety of shops.
    We moved here three months ago from north Wicklow and love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Lived in Dublin for 17 years, moved to Gorey in 2012, wouldn't look back, still work in Dublin so drive up every day, zero issues until I hit Dundrum. Much better lifestyle for the kids etc, decent pubs loads of restauraunts. Good shopping, houses much more bang for your buck, for what you'll pay for a substandard semi d in SCD, you'll get a large detached house.

No real social issues from what I can see, and a very safe environment for families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stevieb3186

Thanks for the replies, will be keeping my job in Dublin so will be commuting every day, any idea of the cost petrol wise? We've been living in greystones for the past few years and the cost is colossal so that's the reason for the move. Any recommendations on areas to avoid etc?

Thanks for the replies, will be keeping my job in Dublin so will be commuting every day, any idea of the cost petrol wise? We've been living in greystones for the past few years and the cost is colossal so that's the reason for the move. Any recommendations on areas to avoid etc?

Yeah no getting away from the petrol costs, it costs me roughly 100 euro a week, and I tend to be very aware of any driving I have to do at the weekend. The bus is an option I suppose but it wouldn't suit me, and very hard to walk past the car in the morning.

Areas to avoid, anywhere out in Courtown I suppose, Riverchapel that neck of the woods, a bit of social housing out there, and not to mention how packed it gets in the summer with everyone coming down from Dublin.

It's like everything I suppose you have to weigh up the cost v benefits. However from my point of view Gorey beats Greystones hands down. Just a couple of things to be aware of, you generally have to be out of the office, or wherever you work by 5 to beat the traffic, but it gets better after the Bray North turn off on the way back, but you'd be aware of that living in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Nothing wrong with Riverchapel, I've lived here for ten years now and I've never had any problems.
    Most of the anti social behaviour around Riverchapel/Courtown is caused by outsiders, the evidence is in the reports of court proceedings.

• Advertisement

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Riverchapel, I've lived here for ten years now and I've never had any problems.
    Most of the anti social behaviour around Riverchapel/Courtown is caused by outsiders, the evidence is in the reports of court proceedings.

Talking to a Guard at the weekend, and from their point of view any trouble in Gorey is confined to the Courtown/Riverchapel area, aprt from the usual messiness after pubs etc, but any other crime generally comes from there.

The Spider wrote: »
    Talking to a Guard at the weekend, and from their point of view any trouble in Gorey is confined to the Courtown/Riverchapel area, aprt from the usual messiness after pubs etc, but any other crime generally comes from there.

Rubbish. I'm on the spot 24/7 which is more than I can say for the Gardaí.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Rubbish. I'm on the spot 24/7 which is more than I can say for the Gardaí.

Don't know if you have access to the statistics on burglaries in these areas or the people living there, the Guards do. As you say trouble is caused by outsiders, is that outsiders who have moved to the area or people coming down on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

I have been down here nearly ten years, so I'd back what other posters are saying the positive.

However, I found that commuting can be a pain after a few years of the same drive. Bus and train are not suitable for me, as they take nearly twice as long door to door.

Maybe you could rent for a year before buying to see if you like the area, commute, schools etc. ?

PS If buying in an Estate - Check on there annual maintenance costs and perhaps how much the costs have changed over the last 5 years.

L8rdude wrote: »
    I have been down here nearly ten years, so I'd back what other posters are saying the positive.

However, I found that commuting can be a pain after a few years of the same drive. Bus and train are not suitable for me, as they take nearly twice as long door to door.

Maybe you could rent for a year before buying to see if you like the area, commute, schools etc. ?

PS If buying in an Estate - Check on there annual maintenance costs and perhaps how much the costs have changed over the last 5 years.

In theory when the M11 upgrade is complete it should ease it a bit, as for the commute i don't mind it too much, but being caught in traffic drives me nuts, tends to happen on the way in, and obviously where the road works are at the moment.

• Advertisement

Don't know if you have access to the statistics on burglaries in these areas or the people living there, the Guards do. As you say trouble is caused by outsiders, is that outsiders who have moved to the area or people coming down on weekends.

I'm involved or in contact with residents organisations in the area and also with community Gardai. Most of the burglaries in the area happened in a spate that was attributed, by Gardai, to criminals based in Dublin, this was not confined to Riverchapel/Courtown but happened in the general Gorey/Enniscorthy area.
    As a tourist area Courtown/Riverchapel has more than the usual number of empty properties for a good portion of the year and these offer easy targets but usually slim pickings for thieves.
    I won't deny that the area has it's complement of villains but no more than anywhere else, if some of the posters on here were to be believed, you'd think it was downtown Baghdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi folks, myself and my family (wife and 3 young kids) are plannng on moving to Gorey or further in Wexford and I'm looking for recommendations and tips. We are moving from South dublin so looking for all info possible!
    Thanks!

Moved to the Gorey area 16 years ago, living in a rural area and enjoying life.

Pros:
    Good choice of schools, shops, petrol stations, Restraunts, a new cinema, nice gyms in the area, nice pool and adventure centre in Courtown and also some lovely seaside coastline from Kilmuckridge to Castletown, also a good transport system (Bus and Train) along the N11 to Dublin.

Great Library

Low crime Rates

Very clean air in rural areas.

Lovely Friendly People, nice town, however it can be a little hard to make adult friends.

Cons:
    Unlike Dublin, Gorey Town has an issue with Smog, this would possibly be an issue in most rural built up towns, (This would be a noticeable factor coming from Dublin)
    Commuting to Dublin can be hard on both the driver and the rest of the family who will see less of parent/spouse, however the bus journey to Dublin city centre or along the N11 for work - would be easier.
    I think you can get a tax saver ticket for a bus, however if driving it can be very expensive on fuel.
    Cycling in Dublin, I would find a little easier, on rural roads in the Gorey area cars travel very fast and roads are bad, no big parks for cycling with the kids/older kids.
    (Gorey does have a small park, but not great for cycling for older kids.)

Hope this helps

Sorry forgot to mention, lots of forests walks, beach walks and nice hill walks in the area, also some good spots for Mountain Biking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Hi folks.
    I moved to gorey recently aswel. Working in Dublin aswel. But in recent weeks my job has become unstable. Could actually be unemployed soon! And obviously have bills to pay.

So does anyone know of any work going around the gorey or surrounding area? I would quite literally do any job once I can pay the bills.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but any help or advice would be great.

mackeire wrote: »
    Hi folks.
    I moved to gorey recently aswel. Working in Dublin aswel. But in recent weeks my job has become unstable. Could actually be unemployed soon! And obviously have bills to pay.

So does anyone know of any work going around the gorey or surrounding area? I would quite literally do any job once I can pay the bills.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but any help or advice would be great.

Your best bet is looking in Dublin, or Wexford town, again it depends on your skillset, but in so far as I can see most people in Gorey don't work there.

Your best bet is looking in Dublin, or Wexford town, again it depends on your skillset, but in so far as I can see most people in Gorey don't work there.

What about arklow or Wicklow town? Is there much going on there do you know?

mackeire wrote: »
    What about arklow or Wicklow town? Is there much going on there do you know?

Arklow is dead, gain what kind of work are you looking for, if it's casual work, or working in a shop, I'd imagine it's pretty tight, if that's the kind of work you could try aldi etc.

If you're looking for office work then Dublin is your only realistic option.

Arkow, Wicklow are considered commuter towns and a lot of people go up and down to Dublin.

You could try

http://www.wexfordjobs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Just come across this thread and to be honest if you have to travel to work in Dublin city from Gorey I would not to do it. Simply not worth it. You are looking at having to get up at six and not getting home until after seven. It's ok for a few years but then as time moves on it's gets very hard. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Hey Folks,
    Sorry If I'm drag g up an old dead thread, but the conversation just started getting interesting around the pros and cons of living in Co. Wexford.
    Our little family are giving serious thought to making the move to Gorey/Castletown/Tara Hill area, but I will more then likely end up working Dublin City centre.
    Would love to hear more opinions on the commute, travel expenses etc??
    My partner is mad to move down but I need a little more convincing so would love to here from other Dubs who have made the move but have to commute??
    Thanks in advance,
    Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We moved from Finglas (stopped for a while in Arklow) down to Riverchapel. We love it, i have friends in Tara hill who love it too. We had looked in Gorey but we moved a bit further out to get what we thought was better value for money (all depends on your budget i suppose).
    I work in Bray, it takes me about 55 min to get into work for 8:30, the traffic seems a bit mental after the bray south exit. I feel that the trade of in commute to qualify of life is worth it.

I would mostly agree with this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94117383&postcount=13

I get a tax saver train ticket (gorey to bray) and it is roughly 200 a month, I was driving, and Diesel cost around the same per month.

I'm not sure how others feel, but I think commuting can be hard after a few years, and that's coming from someone who has a pretty flexible job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

Would be interested to know your train times times and how long it takes(in reality). Commuting to Carlow and looking to change to the east coast in the future.

L8rdude wrote: »
    I would mostly agree with this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94117383&postcount=13

I get a tax saver train ticket (gorey to bray) and it is roughly 200 a month, I was driving, and Diesel cost around the same per month.

I'm not sure how others feel, but I think commuting can be hard after a few years, and that's coming from someone who has a pretty flexible job.

The train takes about 1h15m~1h20m most days. The morning trains are 5:55, 6:44, and 8:24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Hi all, nearly closing on our home in riverchapel thankfully :) as Gorey/Riverchapel has alot of commuters to dublin, does anyone's kids still go to school there?

we have our child in a school she is really happy in and wondering is it worth bringing her up with us when we come up to go to work? between the school and our work is 5 minutes between each.

fitzparker wrote: »
    Hi all, nearly closing on our home in riverchapel thankfully :) as Gorey/Riverchapel has alot of commuters to dublin, does anyone's kids still go to school there?

we have our child in a school she is really happy in and wondering is it worth bringing her up with us when we come up to go to work? between the school and our work is 5 minutes between each.

We moved down to Gorey 2 1/2 years ago. We put the young lad into a school down here and he's very happy there.
    I did the whole commuting thing for a short period and hated it and now I'm lucky enough to be working here.

We've been renting a house that's within a 5 minute walk from the town but are after buying a house right beside riverchapel and are currently in the process of moving down there.

For us, myself and partner are 32, we love it down here and can't ever see ourselves moving back to Dublin, or anywhere else for that matter, and our son loves it here aswel.

I have a friend who moved down aswel, himself and his wife both work in Dublin so the kids go to school there aswel.
    The kids are on the road first thing in the morning and then have to wait around for mammy and daddy to finish work before heading home.
    In my opinion, it's too much for the kids to be doing every day. In saying that tho, everyones situations are different and not everyone has the option of being able to commute and leave the kids behind.

Best of luck with the move and I might bump into you in jimmyz sometime ;)

Not fair on the children to force them to go to Dublin to school. If Riverchapel is where you intend to live then really that's where your children should be most comfortable, they should be making friends here, playing sports here and going to school here. The friends they make now will be the ones they have for life and it's going to be hard for kids to fit in if they're only around at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

thanks all for the advise, points well taken. look forward to building our new home down here!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi All, Another Hijack here, Looking at making the move down that direction too during the summer. Can anyone tell me what the situation is with broadband in the Ballymoney area? Also is there a secondary school nearby or is it Gorey? Is there a feeder bus to Gorey if so? What is the cost? Our eldest will be going into 5th year so will need to get to school. I'm sure we'll have a tonne of other questions but any help on these would be most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

ajarms86 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,
    Sorry If I'm drag g up an old dead thread, but the conversation just started getting interesting around the pros and cons of living in Co. Wexford.
    Our little family are giving serious thought to making the move to Gorey/Castletown/Tara Hill area, but I will more then likely end up working Dublin City centre.
    Would love to hear more opinions on the commute, travel expenses etc??
    My partner is mad to move down but I need a little more convincing so would love to here from other Dubs who have made the move but have to commute??
    Thanks in advance,
    Anthony

I commute daily from Enniscorthy to Leeson St, use Wexford Bus, and have a taxsaver ticket. Have been doing it for 5 years now, it is very tiring but there aren't many choices, jobwise, in Wexford. I am from Enniscorthy, I wouldn't live in Gorey for all the tea in China, but it is a decent and vibrant town, good pubs (I like Katie Daly's a lot). For me, Gorey is now an extension of Dublin, with too much Dubs living there.

Ballymoney is a lovely spot, especially if you are moving by the sea.

I think your school options are http://www.creaghcollege.com/ or http://www.goreycs.ie/

There are school buses, and either school can give you information on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

ElKavo wrote: »
    Hi All, Another Hijack here, Looking at making the move down that direction too during the summer. Can anyone tell me what the situation is with broadband in the Ballymoney area? Also is there a secondary school nearby or is it Gorey? Is there a feeder bus to Gorey if so? What is the cost? Our eldest will be going into 5th year so will need to get to school. I'm sure we'll have a tonne of other questions but any help on these would be most helpful.

A lot of rural north Wexford is being covered by the Eir fibre to the home rollout which gives speeds up to 1000mbps
    You will find a map here;
    http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Light blue means it will be covered by the Eir FTTH rollout.
    Dark blue means it already has access to fibre from the exchange (granting speeds up to 100mpbs).
    Orange means it will be covered in the NPB.

Advertisement