Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Fiber BroadBand

Options
  • 07-01-2015 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently a UPC customer but have considered the change over to SKY but I have a question around the fiber broadband offered by SKY. I read that it is 100Mb BB which is fine once the service is reliable. Can anybody highlight their experience with SKY Fiber BB and if you think I would be silly to change from UPC 200Mb (reason for change is a slight decrease in price with SKY and SKY is far more solid than upc horizon) BB which I currently have (I get the full 200 when using ethernet cable and around 80/90Mb wireless at the minute)

thanks in advance for any help.

:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

maniac2000 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently a UPC customer but have considered the change over to SKY but I have a question around the fiber broadband offered by SKY. I read that it is 100Mb BB which is fine once the service is reliable. Can anybody highlight their experience with SKY Fiber BB and if you think I would be silly to change from UPC 200Mb (reason for change is a slight decrease in price with SKY and SKY is far more solid than upc horizon) BB which I currently have (I get the full 200 when using ethernet cable and around 80/90Mb wireless at the minute)

thanks in advance for any help.

:o

For me a 100mb connection is more than enough. However, my upload speed is also important so I am sticking with upc for the time being. Sky have only launched their fibre product, so feedback may be slow. I recommend you read some of the threads in the bb forum and keep an eye on them in the coming weeks regarding feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Id suggest giving the lads and ladies a shout over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056959146 Its more relevant to what you are looking for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Wrong forum - ask the mods to move the thread to the Broadband forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

thanks for the replies guys and sorry for creating the tread in the wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

thanks for the replies guys and sorry for creating the tread in the wrong forum.

No bothers :) its easier to redirect you to the other thread as its where you would get a more definitive answer from those who may have the same issues or questions as yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'd keep the UPC broadband and get Sky TV, thats the way I did it in college. UPC TV was dirt, always crashing and going down where as Sky NEVER did/does. You get brilliant speeds with UPC so thats the way I'd do it. Sky took forever to launch their fibre and while they run off eircom lines and there shouldnt be a problem I still have no confidence after the broken promises RE how soon they would be launching their fibre. They were saying for well over a year oh its coming next month its coming next month I had switched from Sky broadband to Vodafone Fibre over a year before they eventually gave a solid date and launched their broadband.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

(reason for change is a slight decrease in price with SKY and SKY is far more solid than upc horizon) BB which I currently have (I get the full 200 when using ethernet cable and around 80/90Mb wireless at the minute)

First thing to understand, Sky is "upto" 100mb/s, it can be much lower depending on your distance from the cabinet. It can be as low as 7mb/s

You can check roughly what speed you get by going to the Eircom website and entering your phone number it should tell you what speed you would actually get.

Second, UPC have now increased the speed of it's 200mb/s to 240mb/s, including unlimited national and mobile calls and dropped the price to €45 per month! This is far, far cheaper then Sky. You need to call UPC and they will move you to this package.

If you don't like Horizon, then you can cancel the TV service from UPC, but keep the broadband, while going to Sky for TV only.

It is actually cheaper to get TV from Sky and the much faster broadband from UPC, then it is to get them combined from Sky!

So yes, you would be mad to leave UPC for Sky's much inferior, slower and more expensive broadband!

Advertisement