Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring Internet Usage

Options
  • 29-12-2014 8:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Hey there all!

First post on this, and I'd appreciate some help!

I live in a quite remote area, so I unfortunately do not avail of any fixed line broadband, our exchange hasn't been enabled (yet) *sigh*

So, I'm with 3 broadband, and clearly usage is a problem! With only 60GB allocated per month, it becomes a bit of a task to make it last, seeing how we've so many devices connected at all times.

I consider myself quite tech savvy, so I went exploring the settings and such on the router login page. I noticed a list of assigned IP addresses for each device, they're named for Apple devices and not for Android.

My question is, would I be able to track the usage of each device through a program on my computer?

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muslimstudent

It could be done on the router level since all packets that are forwarded to the devices have to go through the router. Packet headers will have the address of the device.

I've never had to do so since I have unlimited.

Try your favourite search engine for an app.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'd probably need to buy a slightly more advanced router than what 3 supply. If your current unit supports SNMP that might be enough to have an agent on an always on machine monitor it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 TheNewGuy..

The router I have is the Huawei B593s-22, and I'm not sure if it supports SNMP, any ideas?
    I managed to fiddle with the DHCP settings and assign static IP addresses to each WiFi device, so I'm making progress ha! What would I use to monitor it though? I can't find any way in router settings, and recommended 3rd party programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A quick gander says the most common way is DD-WRT or Gargoyle, which are open source router firmwares. They wont run on the Huawei, you'd have to buy something new. Tomato may also have the function.

Programs on a PC cant do it unless the router explicitly sends them the data which most won't.

For a novice user it might be simpler to install software on *each* client and then manually record their outputs. Or there may be a cross platform app, but I havent heard of one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 TheNewGuy..

Cheers for the help, I don't really want to get into the whole, installing different firmware side of things, so I've decided to track usage on each device. Couldn't find a cross platform app, but everything is tracked now one way or another.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement