Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's All Going To End In Tears...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Date: Tuesday February 10th 2015
    Bike: Giant Defy 2
    Distance: 16.9KM
    Time: 51:55
    Average Speed: 19.5KM/H
    Elevation: 96M
    Weight: 111.4KG
    Weather: Dry, cold.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/253004646

Notes:

Today was to be the day of scratching off my first goal, but it just wasn't to be. I had a nice 32KM route picked, pretty flat but should have been enjoyable enough. I was about 5KM in when I got my first puncture. Stopped, changed tube and got away again pretty quickly and was relatively straightforward after that. I'm anticipating hills a lot better now, using the gears more appropriately to try keep my cadence up. At the 15KM mark, I stopped due to another puncture. Took it out, repaired the tube but just as I was finished inflating it, the tip of the valve broke. I thought it might hold as there was still some of the valve in place stopping the air escaping, but it only lasted another 2KM or so. I tried repairing the first tube, but couldn't get it to hold air at all so had to call for recovery at this stage.

Really demoralised by today. Not so much the flats, just the fact that I felt strong and couldn't continue. I've been working towards this goal for so long and had everything held together, I'm confident I would have made it back in good enough shape. I'm a little OCD about things, so when I realised that I couldn't make it back, it took a lot out of me.

I've chilled out a bit now and just about to head back out to the garage to put two new Gatorskins on, so hopefully will get some enthusiasm back from it.

C'est la vie.
    +1 On the gators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

not yet wrote: »
    +1 On the gators.

They're fitted now and inflated to 110PSI, first time inflating the tires with a proper pump since I got the bike. Guess it was only a matter of time before this happened, as going by feel, the tires were probably only ever inflated to a max of 80PSI...

They're fitted now and inflated to 110PSI, first time inflating the tires with a proper pump since I got the bike. Guess it was only a matter of time before this happened, as going by feel, the tires were probably only ever inflated to a max of 80PSI...

I'd recommend 120 if your over 100kg..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'd hit the 120 too if you can hit it. Good to see you getting up the KM!
    Yeah, I've been slacking as of late. Little bit of background though, I'm self employed so when work comes up, it has to be grabbed with both hands. I don't work, I don't earn a living. Still, it's no real excuse and something I try not to get in the way.

It's a pain in the arse, isn't it? I'm only back on the bike this evening (Kind of. It's stuck on the trainer) after a rush of work since the start of the year, and I've got 10 days until I'm away again for a week.

I'm probably going back down to Waterford again after that if you fancy doing the 20km/30km together? Always easier with someone alongside you.

Date: Tuesday February 17th 2015
    Distance: 31.8KM
    Time: 1:42:24
    Average Speed: 18.6KM/H
    Elevation: 153M
    Weight: 111.0KG
    Weather: Dry, mild.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/256155514/overview

Notes:

A week later and finally able to strike off two of my goals. Only two months ago I was struggling to do 6KM and today I've broken 30KM for the first time. It was tough enough and I think I spent too much energy on the way out, as on the return I was trying to conserve as much as I could for the final 2KM uphill back home. Still, I made it. It's my longest ever time in the saddle, longest ever distance and toughest ever ride. I really focused on my cadence and and working the gears a lot better than I have done previously, but can still see areas where I can improve without massive effort.

Best of all? No f*cking punctures.

2015 Goals - Updated
    1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 80K Ride
    5. 100K Ride
    6. 1,500KM for Year
    7. Target Weight: 90KGs
    8. Increase Average Cadence to 90RPM

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    I'd hit the 120 too if you can hit it. Good to see you getting up the KM!

It's a pain in the arse, isn't it? I'm only back on the bike this evening (Kind of. It's stuck on the trainer) after a rush of work since the start of the year, and I've got 10 days until I'm away again for a week.

I'm probably going back down to Waterford again after that if you fancy doing the 20km/30km together? Always easier with someone alongside you.

I'm rarely in Waterford at the weekends these days, but let me know regardless and we'll make something work at some stage!

Date: Tuesday February 17th 2015
    Distance: 31.8KM
    Time: 1:42:24
    Average Speed: 18.6KM/H
    Elevation: 153M
    Weather: Dry, mild.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/256155514/overview

Notes:

A week later and finally able to strike off two of my goals. Only two months ago I was struggling to do 6KM and today I've broken 30KM for the first time. It was tough enough and I think I spent too much energy on the way out, as on the return I was trying to conserve as much as I could for the final 2KM uphill back home. Still, I made it. It's my longest ever time in the saddle, longest ever distance and toughest ever ride. I really focused on my cadence and and working the gears a lot better than I have done previously, but can still see areas where I can improve without massive effort.

Best of all? No f*cking punctures.

2015 Goals - Updated
    1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 80K Ride
    5. 100K Ride
    6. 1,500KM for Year

As for the 50k....bring it bitch.:D

I notice the kg's are still the same, Have you changed your diet..?

not yet wrote: »
    I notice the kg's are still the same, Have you changed your diet..?

Yeah, I have done but at the moment I'm more focused on not gaining weight and just getting really comfortable with the bike whilst trying to get as much enjoyment from it. Once the good weather kicks in, I'll start focusing on the weight loss more :)

Yeah, I have done but at the moment I'm more focused on not gaining weight and just getting really comfortable with the bike whilst trying to get as much enjoyment from it. Once the good weather kicks in, I'll start focusing on the weight loss more :)

I found last summer I kept the weight off, even dropped a few kgs, That was doing around 150k a week, I done very little over xmas and put on a few kgs, I'm still blaming it on giving up the cigs 2 years ago ha ha..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

1. 20K Ride
    2. 30K Ride
    3. 50K Ride
    4. 80K Ride
    5. 100K Ride
    6. 1,500KM for Year

Entry for the SK tour of Waterford has opened if you wanted a date to aim for though Im sure you could do the 100k before then. Still though... it's good to have a date to aim for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Good man Paddy, great to see your progress. I started last May doing 4km spins and weighed 105kg, now I'm 84kg and regularly do a 30km average spin. It's all to do but it's really enjoyable although you think camera gear is expensive wait till you really get into the bike!!

Borderfox wrote: »
    Good man Paddy, great to see your progress. I started last May doing 4km spins and weighed 105kg, now I'm 84kg and regularly do a 30km average spin. It's all to do but it's really enjoyable although you think camera gear is expensive wait till you really get into the bike!!

wow, dropping 21kg, you must have changed your diet..?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Cut up quite a bit, soft drinks and cooking more at home. Biggest drop I had was from early morning 1 hour spins at max intensity before breakfast and then have the usual breakfast. They seemed (to me) to have the largest effect on my weight and better performance too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Borderfox wrote: »
    Cut up quite a bit, soft drinks and cooking more at home. Biggest drop I had was from early morning 1 hour spins at max intensity before breakfast and then have the usual breakfast. They seemed (to me) to have the largest effect on my weight and better performance too

Found that too, you don't even have to go flat out, just good and brisk, really gets the old metabolism ticking over.

Date: Wednesday April 8th 2015
    Distance: 14.1KM
    Time: 0:52:35
    Average Speed: 16.2KM/H
    Elevation: 139M
    Weather: Dry, warm.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/281422491

Notes:

So, I've been slacking.

I don't really know why because my interest in cycling has remained. I'm going to blame a combination of procrastination and the bad weather during March to make myself feel a little bit better about it...

I headed out this afternoon with the aim of doing a short 7KM return run out the road, but ended up doing my now standard route of just over 14KM. I tried to keep it slow and steady and to just enjoy the ride, which I did for the most part. By around the 12KM mark, my legs had completely given up but I still just about managed to make it back to the house. Average cadence and speed are down a fair bit on the last time I completed this route, but only around 3/4 minutes slower so not too bad. Will give it a rest tomorrow and head back out again on Friday.

Semi-related, I can't seem to get second gear on the rear cassette. The derailleur just skips until I select either third or first and shifting isn't as crisp as it used to be. I know it's only a Tiagra groupset but it was fine previously. I always considered gear adjustment a bit of a black art so I'm reluctant to go at it but don't think I have much of a choice?

Semi-related, I can't seem to get second gear on the rear cassette. The derailleur just skips until I select either third or first and shifting isn't as crisp as it used to be. I know it's only a Tiagra groupset but it was fine previously. I always considered gear adjustment a bit of a black art so I'm reluctant to go at it but don't think I have much of a choice?

Have you had you post purchase service with the store you bought it from? This is the sort of thing they would look at.

A good clean and lube could help too.

If you arent happy doing it yourself I'ld be happy to help out. I procrastinate these kinds of jobs all of the time :D (there's a good chance it's just suffering from lack of use so put it up on a workstand and go through the cassette repeatedly until it's working happily again).

bp_me wrote: »
    Have you had you post purchase service with the store you bought it from? This is the sort of thing they would look at.

A good clean and lube could help too.

If you arent happy doing it yourself I'ld be happy to help out. I procrastinate these kinds of jobs all of the time :D (there's a good chance it's just suffering from lack of use so put it up on a workstand and go through the cassette repeatedly until it's working happily again).

I was going to arrange it this week, but Dave got injured over the weekend so no chance of getting it booked in for another little while.

I was going to arrange it this week, but Dave got injured over the weekend so no chance of getting it booked in for another little while.

I was thinking about this a bit more and realised I forgot to suggest twisting the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur a bit. Put the bike in a work stand and twist the adjuster a bit until everything is nice and slick again.

Date: Friday April 10th 2015
    Distance: 9.7KM
    Time: 0:35:21
    Average Speed: 16.5KM/H
    Average Cadence: 74RPM
    Elevation: 106M
    Weather: Cool, overcast.
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/282589587

Notes:

Intended on doing the 14KM circuit, but bailed at the crossroads where I would usually keep on straight. Just wasn't feeling right from the get go at all and things I could usually put out of my head, just kept mounting up. Cold feet, head wind, sore arse, creaking front wheel / fork and shifting problems. Going to tackle the issues I can do something about tomorrow and head out again over the weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement