Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letting your kids sit on Santa's knee......yay or nay?

• 16-12-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I came across a post on Facebook today about a mother who took her child to visit Santa and was shocked to be told that he could only stand beside or sit next to Santa not on his knee because 'You can never be too careful'.

There are calls in Australia at the moment for the practice to be banned altogether.

What are my fellow boardsie's opinions on the matter?

Personally I see no problem with it whatsoever. It's a lovely tradition for children imo and I can't see the good in teaching them it's not safe to sit on Santa's knee.

I can't understand why it's so hard for people to accept that their children are statistically more likely tone abused by some-one known to them than this mythical dangerous stranger on the prowl.

Edit: Poll added for curiosity

Do you/ Would you let your children sit on Santa's lap? 45 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    84% 38 votes
    Don't Know
    15% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I came across a post on Facebook today about a mother who took her child to visit Santa and was shocked to be told that he could only or sit next to Santa not on his knee because 'You can never be too careful'.

There are calls in Australia at the moment for the practice to be banned altogether.

What are my fellow boardsie's opinions on the matter?

Personally I see no problem with it whatsoever. It's a lovely tradition for children imo and I can't see the good in teaching them it's not safe to sit on Santa's knee.

I can't understand why it's so hard for people to accept that their children are statistically more likely tone abused by some-one known to them than this mythical dangerous stranger on the prowl.

I dressed up as Santa at a wedding two weeks ago and for school last week, I've dressed up as a clown a good few times and the fact that some parent could be over zealous and expecting some type of inappropriate situation to develop is always in the back of my mind. Saying that I've never even had one dirty look never mind a complaint. It's madness but unfortunately you can never be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The world has literally gone mad.

PC gone out of control.

I think the whole Santa and Christmas is a magical time and it is for the children the Santa part....

I think it is so cute seeing all the kids so excited and happy.

Yes there are murderers and paedo's and just all in all sick f##ks out there.

I for one think it is gone way overboard and I as a guy am afraid to think someone could just say I looked at a kid wrong or anything...

It is a scary world and I beleive all the santa's out there have a hard job to do and am sure they are a little afraid that they could be seen as something so horrible and yet have never and never would harm a child.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

A shopping centre santa is hardly gonna be trying anything on with a child who's being supervised by their parents and will spend all of a minute or two on his knee.

Frankly, ridiculous. A stranger is the least likely person to abuse your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the world coming to

are we coming to the point in which we have to do a background check on every santa out there??

its ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I actually feel a bit sick thinking about that and how people could take something so innocent and see anything sexual about it. That would honestly be the last thing on my mind. Has this in fact ever happened to any child? Are we going to imply that any man is a likely child abuser if he is not watched all the time. The parents are standing right beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think Garda vetting would be important

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

If santa was a woman, would that make these mentalists more at ease, as they obviously see every man as a child abuser waiting for Christmas to dress up as santy claus to feel up all the little kiddies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

efb wrote: »
    I think Garda vetting would be important

Oh absolutely, I agree that Vetting is vital. But no more than that.

Refusing to let little Johnny or Mary sit on his lap is OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

fryup wrote: »
    whats the world coming to

are we coming to the point in which we have to do a background check on every santa out there??

its ridiculous

That I wouldn't mind to much as long as it ends there.

If Santa is found to be in the clear then that should be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I know one of Santa's helpers ;)
    He has to get vetted every year. That's a large dublin shopping centre mind, so I'd say all similar are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I have no problem with mine sitting on Santa's knee..... IF they wanted to that is, I hate seeing parents force their kids onto this strange mans knee so that they can get a photo, what's the point in the photo anyway if the child is balling their eyes out?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

I actually wouldn't be surprised if shopping center santa's need to have some sort of clearance to get the job. Seems like every other job that involves children requires one.

As for the the general question of the thread...of course I would let them. Sure you're there standing beside them anyways :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

This paranoia about all men being potential pedophiles has gotten out of control. How on earth did we all survive without being molested since our parents weren't obsessed with predators?:rolleyes: I don't believe that there are more pedophiles now than there were in the 70's when I was a child or in the decades before that. I think it's a paranoia perpetuated on social media and online parenting sites. How on earth did we get to a point where men are afraid of accusations being made, simply because they were in the same room as a child:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Of course I would and have. As to checking, there would be decking if any funny business was happening !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

OP, as you have started an identical thread elsewhere, I'm just going to close this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement