Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can stress affect your monthlys?

• 13-12-2014 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I've been doing some google research but nothing's coming up to answer my question.

Can stress act as a start and stop point for your period? I'm 18, so I am very aware that periods can be very irregular around this time of my life but I have always kept a note of when my period came. I was fairly regular, give or take a week or so. But on the 23rd of May I got my last period, which was the week before my leaving cert started and then I didn't get it after that. 7 months later, I am half way through my first semester exams in university and I've just been hit with the worst cramps I have ever experienced along with mother natures not-so-monthly gift.

Is this a cause for worry? Or is this normal? Thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I've been doing some google research but nothing's coming up to answer my question.

Can stress act as a start and stop point for your period? I'm 18, so I am very aware that periods can be very irregular around this time of my life but I have always kept a note of when my period came. I was fairly regular, give or take a week or so. But on the 23rd of May I got my last period, which was the week before my leaving cert started and then I didn't get it after that. 7 months later, I am half way through my first semester exams in university and I've just been hit with the worst cramps I have ever experienced along with mother natures not-so-monthly gift.

This is definitely not what this forum is for and lol at me sharing with everyone who reads here but I think you're ok... Maybe if you start skipping more see a doctor but I know people that just randomly have been very late..
    When I started college I was like 6 weeks late and Id never been more than a couple days before. I read though moving house can delay it? So lol I guess moving to Maynooth? And tbh my whole period just changed, it's very different to how it had always been.. Like shorter and lighter... But then over summer it kinda went back to what it had been and now again in college it's changed.. Lol I dunno tbh since the initial ahh I'm 6 weeks late quare preggerz I just kinda roll with it and I don't really worry about it.

So C&H there's a story about my menstrual bicycle (sorry autocorrect changed cycle to bicycle and I can't bring myself to change it) anymore questions and a thread can be arranged xxxx
    Hope it helps somewhat OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

stress can affect your periods but if you are really worried the best person to Talk to is your doctor. they will be able to give all the correct advice so would be worth dropping in to them. colleges usually have a cheaper doctor you could use. I'd imagine boards will come up with the same as the internet and just have loads of different responses and besides, your doctor is the best person to give you best health advice, not the internet. I'm sure you have absolutely nothing to worry about but I suggest going anyways, put your mind at ease and get rid of the stress of stressing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Mine stopped completely for 5 months during my Leaving Cert and starting college, when I was 16/17, and had been like clockwork since was 8. I spoke to my gp, got some bloods done, all fine, just stress.

It's really a good idea to go speak to your doctor,because although stress can affect them, so can a million and one other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Youve suffered from what's known as secondary amenorrhoea (basically there was a gap of 6 months or more between 2 periods), there are several reasons why this may have happened, including:
    Stress
    Depression
    PCOS
    Under/Over weight
    Poor diet
    Certain Medications etc

You seem to be only getting your periods at times of high stress, if I was you I wouldnt be worried but I would maybe go to the doctor just incase (IDK what college you go to but if you have a free campus doctor, why not?), but truth is its probably nothing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sorry, but Boards' rules dictate we can't give out medical advice such as this, so I'm going to have to lock this here.

Consult your GP if you think there might be an issue, you'll get far better advice and info from them than you will from Boards or from Google.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement