Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Turned Off and Car Blocked in - No Notice - Irish Water

Options
  • 08-12-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Charlesland...

So, I'm working at home this morning and supposed to be in the office at 12:45.

I go to have a shower..NO WATER!

I check the hot press...no clues. I look out and there's Irish Water outside my driveway, my car blocked off and, works beginning.

This is an absolute disgrace. I did get a notice two or three weeks ago stating that they would begin installation works sometime in the near future...that was it.

These bunch are just as ignorant and arrogant as the crowd in the Dáil who rushed through the legislation to set up Irish Water... in three hours.

Anyway, I'm driving through the ignoramuses now and off to have a shower in work!

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Welcome to Ireland of the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in Bray, not in Greystones / Charlesland, but in the letter I got in the door, they gave an exact date they'd be starting, not just "sometime in the near future" and they did indeed start on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Alun wrote: »
    I'm in Bray, not in Greystones / Charlesland, but in the letter I got in the door, they gave an exact date they'd be starting, not just "sometime in the near future" and they did indeed start on that day.

Good for you.

They did not afford us the same courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Honestly! wrote: »
    Charlesland...

So, I'm working at home this morning and supposed to be in the office at 12:45.

I go to have a shower..NO WATER!

I check the hot press...no clues. I look out and there's Irish Water outside my driveway, my car blocked off and, works beginning.

This is an absolute disgrace. I did get a notice two or three weeks ago stating that they would begin installation works sometime in the near future...that was it.

These bunch are just as ignorant and arrogant as the crowd in the Dáil who rushed through the legislation to set up Irish Water... in three hours.

Anyway, I'm driving through the ignoramuses now and off to have a shower in work!

Honestly!

Good for you.
    No need to be snarky.
    They did not afford us the same courtesy.
    What did the letter say then? Was no date given at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Take photos and complain via the medium of social media. Be sure to copy Irish Water in the circulation and don't skimp on hastags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

The notice you got 2 or 3 weeks ago, explained your driveway could be blocked and your water supply interrupted during installation.
    Here it is all detailed in their website.
    water.ie/billing-and-metering/metering-explained/

You were aware works would be taking place within the 2 weeks as they had notified you of this. So the issue here is you did not get the 2nd letter that should have been sent out 2 days ago with the exact date of works. Did your neighbors get this 2nd letter letter, can you find out? Complain in writing to Irish Water. I'm not sure what you'd be taking pictures of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

bjork wrote: »
    The notice you got 2 or 3 weeks ago, explained your driveway could be blocked and your water supply interrupted during installation.
    Here it is all detailed in their website.
    water.ie/billing-and-metering/metering-explained/

You were aware works would be taking place within the 2 weeks as they had notified you of this. So the issue here is you did not get the 2nd letter that should have been sent out 2 days ago with the exact date of works. Did your neighbors get this 2nd letter letter, can you find out? Complain in writing to Irish Water. I'm not sure what you'd be taking pictures of?

Irish water have stated it is their policy that they don't send a second letter about works if they think there is a chance of protests

Exact same happened in our estate when they rolled in en masse

F34 wrote: »
    Irish water have stated it is their policy that they don't send a second letter about works if they think there is a chance of protests

Exact same happened in our estate when they rolled in en masse

If that's written in their policy, then they are didn't break their policy so what have they done wrong? I'm confused now

If that's written in their policy, then they are didn't break their policy so what have they done wrong? I'm confused now

So you think it's ok to turn people's water off and block them into their driveways?????

Irish Water are causing grief for themselves with antagonistic policies such as these

• Advertisement

So you think it's ok to turn people's water off and block them into their driveways?????

Irish Water are causing grief for themselves with antagonistic policies such as these

Realistically how else are they supposed to install a meter without disrupting the supply temporarily. They can't magic the meter in.

Block people in to their driveways - the irony being here that the OP was able to leave for work, so not exactly blocked in where they?.

They gave notice that this would be occurring within 14 days for both the blocking of the drive and the water disruption. If it is their policy not to send a further notice to avoid protests, that covers them for not sending out the 2nd letter.

Joe Duffy hyperbole.

Realistically how else are they supposed to install a meter without disrupting the supply temporarily. They can't magic the meter in.

Block people in to their driveways - the irony being here that the OP was able to leave for work, so not exactly blocked in where they?.

They gave notice that this would be occurring within 14 days for both the blocking of the drive and the water disruption. If it is their policy not to send a further notice to avoid protests, that covers them for not sending out the 2nd letter.

Joe Duffy hyperbole.

I don't expect them to magic a meter in I do expect them to have the courtesy of letting people know they are going to be digging up their driveway so they can remove their car if needs be.

I'm sure if they blocked you in your viewpoint on this would be entirely different.

The op had not left for work

Would you like to expand on your Joe Duffy comment there?

I don't expect them to magic a meter in I do expect them to have the courtesy of letting people know they are going to be digging up their driveway so they can remove their car if needs be.

I'm sure if they blocked you in your viewpoint on this would be entirely different.

OP did leave for work

If your not going to read the thread, I'm not going to keep repeating myself

Edit: I'm beginning to understand IW's frustration

OP did leave for work

If your not going to read the thread, I'm not going to keep repeating myself

Edit: I'm beginning to understand IW's frustration

Lol I said the op had not left at that stage you do with reading the thread your self.

I'd put you on the same level as IW alright

Lol I said the op had not left at that stage you do with reading the thread your self.

I'd put you on the same level as IW alright

Eh, no you didn't :pac:

Personal attacks now?? >> 1850 715 815

Eh, no you didn't :pac:

Personal attacks now?? >> 1850 715 815

Read the thread the op said he was going to drive through them thus had not left.

Would you like to point out the personal attack there lol

Read the thread the op said he was going to drive through them thus had not left.

Would you like to point out the personal attack there lol

Nope, reading fail again for you

Unless, you would like to accept the challenge of where the OP says they hadn't left. My computer screen shows

"I'm" "Now" = present tense not future

Anyway the point being they were able to leave and therefore not blocked in ;)

Nope, reading fail again for you

Unless, you would like to accept the challenge of where the OP says they hadn't left. My computer screen shows

"I'm" "Now" = present tense not future

Anyway the point being they were able to leave and therefore not blocked in ;)

Really typing a post as he was driving through them well done op.

Note that you haven't backed up your personal attack claim either lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi Honestly, them turning off the water shouldn't have affected you having a shower (I'm not defending IW). There should be plenty in the water storage tank provided all the plumbing is plumbed in 'normally'. When they turn off the water, they'll be only an hour or so until it gets turned back on. The water storage tank capacity is usually designed to provide 24 hours-worth of water.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

A similar story on my side too. I did have a letter a couple of weeks back stating that works would begin soon but that further details would be provided nearer the time with date information. I received nothing else since and this morning woke up to a blocked-in car and a car completely covered in pavement / angle-grinding dust!!

I just called Irish Water on 01 707 2828, press 1 for English and 4 for meter installation queries. Spoke to a really nice guy who seemed very surprised that no further information was provided and assured me he'd raised a complaint that would be taken up with the local contractor doing the installation to find out why residents werent made aware. I would encourage anyone else affected to do the same. Its all well and good b *tching and moaning here, but unless you follow up with them directly, tell people about it on twitter / social media, then nothing will change or be done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Ask them for the documentation from the council that allows them to open the foothpath.
    Ask to see their safe pass cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

Maudi wrote: »
    Ask them for the documentation from the council that allows them to open the foothpath.
    Do you suggest doing this for all workers, ie if bord gais or eircom / esb are doing work in the area ?. surely it is not up to the general public to determine whether or not company officials have safe passes.
    the ultimate protest against irish water is when you are issued with a bill from them, you will get one anyway whether you have a meter installed or not.
    i dont agree with all the aggrevation and conflict in recent protests.
    if you dont want to pay dont pay ..simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Maudi wrote: »

Why would they be obliged to show you their safe pass? If a member of the public asked for mine I'd ask them to show me the legislation where I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's a different story when it's an estate which is not in charge by the council, and each owner is a member of the management company. So if joe bloggs were to trip up over signage and injure themselves, you'd want to be sure (as a management company) that they are operating within the bye-laws and have the appropriate insurances. It's a but of a minefield when it comes to private estates.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 macboomba

We got a notice 2 days before the start of works outside our house in Charlesland and they stuck to that date. I was at home all day and it was obvious that they left the houses that had cars still in the driveways until they had been moved. Nobody seemed to be blocked in. They did burst a pipe outside one house so the water was off for a few hours but still had water from the attic tank. No drinking water though.

They even hosed down the driveways and paths afterwards to clean them. But that was a bit pointless as they had to return the next day to finish the rest of the road.

Anyway no real problems or issues and I would even say they used some common sense. I'm sure it's the same crew doing all of Charlesland so surprised to hear of other issues. Maybe we just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

If it is their policy not to send a further notice to avoid protests, that covers them for not sending out the 2nd letter.

Joe Duffy hyperbole.

So just because their policy stipulates something then that makes it the correct thing to do...a policy does not make something right or wrong!!
    How can anyone in their right mind think that in this instance Irish Water have acted in the correct manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Our installers were in a few months ago, the water was off for 30 mins max. A pain if you are in need of a shower but they aren't to know that. Blocking your driveway is ignorant but just ask them to move their equipment so you can leave and they will do so. Fuss over nothing.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Our installers were in a few months ago, the water was off for 30 mins max. A pain if you are in need of a shower but they aren't to know that. Blocking your driveway is ignorant but just ask them to move their equipment so you can leave and they will do so. Fuss over nothing.
    Same here. All over in a couple of days, and no fuss or bother at all. I was at home all through the process and didn't even notice my water going off it was that short. The only way I knew it had been off was that the kitchen tap sputtered a bit the first time I used it after the installation. For a short while the barriers were partly over the edge of my driveway, but when I asked them they moved them out of the way for me to get in and out. They also used water jets on their consaws so no dust or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Dear bjork,

We'll be out to your house within the next two weeks, we won't tell you when though cos you might be miffed with us for turning off your water supply. Hopefully you've no kids wanting fed or sick elderly relatives with you for that two weeks whilst we're inconveniencing you putting in something you didn't want, don't need and didn't ask for.

Anyway, it makes me richer and keeps Europe happy.

Keep doffing your cap to your superiors.

Yours sincerely,

Denis O'Brien.

• Advertisement

kopfan77 wrote: »
    So just because their policy stipulates something then that makes it the correct thing to do...a policy does not make something right or wrong!!
    How can anyone in their right mind think that in this instance Irish Water have acted in the correct manner.

If it's in thier policy, then they are not actually breaking their policy now are they?
    Dear bjork,

We'll be out to your house within the next two weeks, we won't tell you when though cos you might be miffed with us for turning off your water supply. Hopefully you've no kids wanting fed or sick elderly relatives with you for that two weeks whilst we're inconveniencing you putting in something you didn't want, don't need and didn't ask for.

Anyway, it makes me richer and keeps Europe happy.

Keep doffing your cap to your superiors.

Yours sincerely,

Denis O'Brien.

No problem. Call over any time in the next 2 weeks. I have a tank in the attic that holds water. If I need to enter or leave my drive I will ask the workmen to move their vehicle to enable me.

Tell me were you out protesting against the banks or the USC charge or are you just jumping on the old protesting bandwagon now and considering yourself a hero sticking it to the man?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement