Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should the burning of Turf be made illegal now in Ireland these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You sure?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

catallus wrote: »
    You sure?

In my experience at least, yes. Grew up burning both in the kitchen range, and the fireplace, and timber gives off far more heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

There's no real heat off timber though.

Umm, you're doing it wrong so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Should it be made illegal to burn turf in fires and ranges now in Ireland? - it may be quaint and remind us all of old Ireland but when you drive into towns and villages these days the smell is acrid and irritates the throat and causes a lot of smoke in the air and visibility becomes poor especially in the freezing cold weather and when its misty/foggy. I thought these days 'smokey fuel' was banned anyway ? (not sure whether just for Towns or towns and villages?) we have to shut windows when people are burning turf but the smell still gets into the house through the wall vents you cannot close off.

All the cool kids are vaping turf now anyways..........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Unless it cause significant pollution issues, the introduction of legislation on this matter would be even more statist interference in everyday life.

• Advertisement

Well I burn coal and it's much hotter than timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've never noticed a problem with pollution in small towns from burning turf.

Many people have oil now and don't rely on turf to heat the home anymore. during the boom a lot of people were convinced to remove the back boiler from their range and switch to oil. A really stupid thing to do as it's a complete waste of a range.

Turf isn't really a good fuel, it's supplements coal nicely but I wouldn't like to depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

If you were to rank carbon fuels by how much co2 they release, turf/peat is the worst.

(Natural gas being the best).

I never understood the construction of peat fired power plants..... when Ireland is the Saudi Arabia of wind.

Funny enough we get days when we don't have wind, then we have days when the wind is too strong

Wind power is a nice concept but we need oil/coal/turf to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Great heat off an ash tree, when it's left to season and dry properly.

Don't burn a freshly cut tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MadsL wrote: »
    Other countries pass environmental protection orders and spend thousands on bog rehabilitation.

Ireland ignores EU law and drains and cuts bogs that took hundreds of thousands of years to form then burns them.

Draw your own conclusions but burning turf is not just horrible in the emissions caused but also prevents bogs from absorbing CO2 and being the very effective carbon sinks they naturally form when left alone.

F*cking with ecosystems is generally a bad idea.

A lot of German power comes from lignite, which is just a tiny bit older than turf, and they have increased their burning of it since they panic turned off their nuclear power. Have a look at a lignite mine and tell me that we are doing worst to our ecosystem.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Um, okay?? :confused:

coal != turf....

Great heat off an ash tree, when it's left to season and dry properly.

Don't burn a freshly cut tree.

Why shouldn't one burn a freshly cut tree? :confused:

Are ash trees hotter than other trees?

Personally I don't think we should burn fire-wood at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I never understood the construction of peat fired power plants..... when Ireland is the Saudi Arabia of wind.
    crockholm wrote: »
    Think of the impact it will have on ... jackeens no longer being able to call us "Bog Arabs"

So am I a "Bog Arab" or a "Wind Arab"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Why shouldn't one burn a freshly cut tree? :confused:

Are ash trees hotter than other trees?

Personally I don't think we should burn fire-wood at all.

huge difference in heat out of dried wood

http://img.ie/cnxnx.jpg <<<<<<<

needs to be dried properly though - using a meter on it is a waste of time if its wet in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

after ive been outside when they've been burning turf in the village or if ive been in someone's house who's burning turf, my hair and clothes stink of it, gets right into the fibres and i get this horrible back-taste in my mouth as well, cant describe it really but its a horrible taste...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

after ive been outside when they've been burning turf in the village or if ive been in someone's house who's burning turf, my hair and clothes stink of it, gets right into the fibres and i get this horrible back-taste in my mouth as well, cant describe it really but its a horrible taste...

Is it bitter?

mikom wrote: »
    Is it bitter?

Yeah, i suppose thats how you could describe it...

when I used to come over to Ireland on holiday in the 90's one of the things I loved about Ireland apart from the scenery was the smell of burning turf from the houses in the streets ........ cant stand the smell now these days though! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Living in the sticks so we burn a lot of turf. 1 40kg bag of the finest smokey coal and 10ish bags of turf a week covers all hot water and rads, we don't use the oil at all.
    Got a load of dry ash for free early on in the year so used a fair bit.
    With the turf and coal combination we get a large build up of soot in the stove and the glass is always black within 20 mins. Turf on its own can't even properly keep the rads hot, coal needs to be added every 3 top ups.
    With the timber on it's own the rads are red hot shortly after lighting and stay that way, no need for coal at all.
    I also find that I get very little ash with the timber but with the turf I sometimes need to empty it midway through the day. The timber also keeps the glass clean.
    So as someone who uses both turf and timber I can safely say that timber beats turf in most ways, except price as properly dried timber can be expensive.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm bored :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

With the price of oil I'll be sticking with the turf thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

mike_ie wrote: »
    Um, okay?? :confused:

coal != turf....

Well if you wait long enough...

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

OP's a townie I'd expect.
    Only thing I don't like about turf is the cleaning up.

OP's a townie I'd expect.
    Only thing I don't like about turf is the cleaning up.

Nope im a Villagie :-) ... ooh yeah, cleaning up turf ash not good for the lungs, and never breath in if the ash still hot it burns your chest so it does - been there, done that ..... bought the briquette! :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Move out of sligo into civilisation, it will solve all your problems andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Turf is a smouldering mess of non heat nothing

give me a bag of dried logs and a bag of non dublin coal anyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Stove is full of turf right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

If we stopped turf then I don't know what my poor dog would eat! The eegit is clane mad for the stuff!

Move out of sligo into civilisation, it will solve all your problems andy.

bit drastic ..... but your right lol :-)

I tell ye what at the moment i have problems with my electrics, shíte mobile signal, and low speed on the broadband its very tempting to move to civilisation lol

With the price of oil I'll be sticking with the turf thank you very much.

Price of heating oil is low at the minute. €570 or thereabouts for 1000lts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

You Dublin folk should worry more about Starbucks related ******ry that you have grown accustomed to and leave the decent country folk to burn what they obtain from back breaking word as our forefathers did.

Advertisement