Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ride reunion

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

loyatemu wrote: »
    that's how the Shaggs album came about. something of a acquired taste...
    The Shaggs are an exception to the rule :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭mosstin

All bands are derivative in some aspect. Unless you take four individuals, lock them in isolation for all their lives with no exposure to music, hand them musical instruments in their late teens and expect them to be able to play something.

Yes you can easily pick out Ride's influences, but they were still one of the best indie bands of the early 90's. Ok they weren't as influential as My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive but Nowhere is still regarded as a shoegaze cornerstone.

Perfectly aware of this. Just pointing out that in no way were they groundbreaking. Their early EPs were exciting, compelling and promising and their debut was, in parts, excellent. Just a really good indie band of their time and sometimes that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

mosstin wrote: »
    Perfectly aware of this. Just pointing out that in no way were they groundbreaking. Their early EPs were exciting, compelling and promising and their debut was, in parts, excellent. Just a really good indie band of their time and sometimes that's enough.

in your opinion of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

they weren't as influential as My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive but Nowhere is still regarded as a shoegaze cornerstone.

There's no way Slowdive were more influential than Ride. I'm not sure if you remember, but Slowdive was a dirty word until about a year ago when they reformed! :-) Ride were definitely more influential - even Billy Corgan said Ride were an influence on him, you can hear it in certain places (like Today sounding like Close My Eyes).

Slowdive were always considered lower on the rung, so it would've been MBV, Ride and then Slowdive (if not Chapterhouse or Lush next). Slowdive's timing was bad as their early EPs were good (though they came out about a year after MBV and Ride had set the scene) but their first album wasn't very good. It wasn't until Souvlaki in '93 that Slowdive really got it right, but at that point it was WAY too late. Anyway they did the sensible thing after Pygmalion by splitting and continuing in another form, Mojave 3, which did get Goswell and Halstead some respect.

Slowdive may have been popular, but they weren't as influential as Nowhere and especially the Smile album in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

There's no way Slowdive were more influential than Ride. I'm not sure if you remember, but Slowdive was a dirty word until about a year ago when they reformed! :-) Ride were definitely more influential - even Billy Corgan said Ride were an influence on him, you can hear it in certain places (like Today sounding like Close My Eyes).

Slowdive were always considered lower on the rung, so it would've been MBV, Ride and then Slowdive (if not Chapterhouse or Lush next). Slowdive's timing was bad as their early EPs were good (though they came out about a year after MBV and Ride had set the scene) but their first album wasn't very good. It wasn't until Souvlaki in '93 that Slowdive really got it right, but at that point it was WAY too late. Anyway they did the sensible thing after Pygmalion by splitting and continuing in another form, Mojave 3, which did get Goswell and Halstead some respect.

Slowdive may have been popular, but they weren't as influential as Nowhere and especially the Smile album in the US.
    Let's just say that I've heard more bands cite Slowdive as an influence over the years than Ride. This even includes metal bands such as Katatonia and Alcest, post-rock bands such as Mogwai (who met at a Slowdive gig) and countless shoegaze and dream-pop bands. This isn't the inner fanboy in me talking by the way.

Also I don't remember Slowdive being a dirty word up to a year ago. I've seen tons of people online worshipping them and crying for them to reform. Souvlaki has been held in very high regard for years now along with Loveless and Nowhere. Hindsight can be a wonderful thing.

• Advertisement

Hindsight can be a wonderful thing.

Exactly. And with hindsight, Slowdive could be said to be influential. But at the time, no. Ride were way more popular, way more respected, had way more airplay, and therefore would've been way more influential.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm late to the party. Looks like the first 3 shows are sold out. Anyone remember seeing them in Mcgonagles back in the day? Amazing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Ride were a great band back in the day, vapour trail was almost the soundtrack to one of my summers but Crown of creation off carnival of light is my favourite of their songs.

Ride playing Coachella.

Only a matter of time before they are added to the Electric Picnic bill I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

On a Ride related note, there is a new Swervedriver album due out in a few months as well. Maybe they might also get added to the Electric Picnic bill \m/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Electric Picnic. Stopping me from seeing bands I'd like to see for years. Sure it's only Ireland. A spot at a festival will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

They're also playing at a festival in O Porto next June. A short two hour drive from my house, it would be a terrible crime to miss it but huge festivals terrify me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

They're also playing at a festival in O Porto next June. A short two hour drive from my house, it would be a terrible crime to miss it but huge festivals terrify me.

primavera, amazing festival!

sweetie wrote: »
    primavera, amazing festival!
    I'm very tempted!
    I've been to a few small festivals in Portugal and the thing that stands out about them is how well people behave. There's just no bother at all at them, everybody is so chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'm very tempted! I've been to a few small festivals in Portugal and the thing that stands out about them is how well people behave. There's just no bother at all at them, everybody is so chilled.

I only go to foreign festivals now, the weather, the late hours and the people make it so much better

sweetie wrote: »
    I only go to foreign festivals now, the weather, the late hours and the people make it so much better

You might like this one in the north of Portugal, about an hour drive outside O Porto. For a small festival they always have a great line up of acts. Great facilities, you never have to que for beers. And of course a polite and well behaved cool crowd of people.
    Tickets are really affordable too, 90 euro's for the weekend with camping.

http://www.paredesdecoura.com/2014

I agree that festivals in Ireland have taken away bands that might normally pay a venue. I remember when Sigur Ros were touring Valtari they only played Electric Picnic, and I was dying to see them but wasn't going fork out hundreds to stand in the cold surrounded by a loud of drunk idiots and girls in wellies and shorts. OK that part of it may not have been that bad but you know what I mean.

Festivals in warm countries, I've only heard good things about them. Now I was lucky enough to get a Roundhouse ticket for Ride so don't need to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

I agree that festivals in Ireland have taken away bands that might normally pay a venue.

Seeing slowdive at EP last year was great but I'm now desperate to see them in a proper venue! Festivals are fine for bands you've seen before or bands you don't know a whole pile about-but a band your dying to see? a festival is not the place.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Slowdive toured with Low in American recently. Would have been some show.... Surely Ride will play in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

seachto7 wrote: »
    Slowdive toured with Low in American recently. Would have been some show.... Surely Ride will play in Ireland....
    They probably will but my guess would be Electric Picnic. Somehow I can't see them being booked for an indoor venue in Ireland.

• Advertisement

OK, so who here has tickets for any of the reunions shows? Time to start speculating on the set list methinks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Advertisement