Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media: Philomena Lee urges support for new Adoption Legislation

• 17-11-2014 8:02am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/life/support-for-new-law-on-adoption-is-urged-30749641.html

Philomena Lee, about whom the movie 'Philomena' was made, yesterday issued a statement calling on all Senators to support the Adoption (Identity and Information) Bill 2014. The bill is proposed by Fianna Fail Senator Averil Power, and Independents Jillian van Turnhout and Fidelma Healy Eames, and will be debated in the Seanad on Wednesday.

In a frank statement, Philomena said that if such legislation had been in place years ago she would have been reunited with her son Anthony before he died.

"Instead, he died believing I had rejected him," she said.

She added, "It is too late for us, but would be a big help to other women who were separated from their sons and daughters by adoption."

Senator Power said the Government should listen to Philomena and ensure other women are spared the pain of what she went through.

"I have been contacted by many other women like Philomena. They were devastated to lose their children in the first place and are heartbroken that they still can't make contact with them now. They just want to know that their son or daughter is okay and tell them they never stopped thinking about them. Older women in particular are worried that if legislation isn't brought in soon it will be too late for them.

"The Government has an opportunity next Wednesday to do right by these women by finally putting in place a proper system through which adoptees and natural parents may reunite if they wish. I hope they will accept our bill and work with us to ensure women like Philomena finally get the support they deserve," Senator Power added.

The 2013 film 'Philomena' tells the true story of Philomena's 50-year-long search for her forcibly adopted son, and other's efforts to help her find him.

The film, which was co-produced in the United States and the United Kingdom, won several international film awards and was a box-office hit.

The actors included Steve Coogan and Judi Dench. Philomena became well known to the public and many people were moved by her story which led other case histories to come to light.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I dunno if I could watch the film but I fully support the Bill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I dunno if I could watch the film but I fully support the Bill too.

I felt the same, Moonbeam - as in, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to watch the film without crumbling into a bawling mess, and made sure I'd guzzled a very large glass of wine before I pressed play :) but it wasn't as heart-wrenching as I'd expected it to be. It was well done, I felt; but then again, Judy Dench can do no wrong in my eyes.

All that said, I know we're approaching the adoption triangle from different corners, so it may not be the same for you but if you are interested in watching it, I wanted to say the above in its favour.

I also fully support the bill - can't believe it has taken so long. As a birth mother, I consider it a disgrace to keep an adopted child from being able to access their birth family information. Openness is the only way forward for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Openness is the only way forward for me.

+1:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I agree 100%

Unfortunately- we're back to the various members of the Oireachtas harping on about the rights of birth mothers being paramount- and adopted people not having any rights, unless their birth mothers expressly give permission to have (literally anything) released.

Its a quagmire- and one that our government seem uniquely adapted to.........

Having been part of the consultation on this over 20 years ago- and having listened to the promises of the late Brian Lenihan, when he was Minister for Children- I have precisely no faith that this is going to go anywhere.

The only way for this to gain any traction- is to take a leaf out of the pages of the water protestors- and protest like hell. In Ireland- its those who make most noise who get their pet projects dealt with.

If you want to see progress on this- be prepared to put your feet on the ground- where they will be noticed- and protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Have to say I share the conductors pessimism.

This a private members bill from an opposition senator and, as such, has a snowballs chance in hell of passing into law.

The govmint will probably pull the "while this excellent bill has many good points, we have a much much better one which is almost/just about/nearly ready to go" card.

This would be, of course, exactly the same cr*p we have heard from, I think, 7 ministers now over maybe 15 years and I believe even the adoption board itself first asked for updated legislation on this over 30 years ago! so I'm holding me breath on this one.

Depressedly (is that a word?)

Rins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Wow. 7 ministers. Maybe they need to get the Iona Institute campaigning, seems they were very vocal on children's right to know where they come from in the SSM debate. I get the feeling the govt avoid this issue for fear of redress challenges & hope the problem disappears of its own accord. Deny til they die..

Advertisement