Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchasing Wireless extender/repeater

Options
  • 06-11-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey guys having a look at Christmas presents and had the great idea of buying a Wireless booster thing. We have a connection in one room that does not reach majority of house due to block walls and room is in one end of the house. It's a bungalow also so longer distances to stretch. Oh also, connection is inconsistent anyway due to location of house and quality of provider.
    So, my question to you guys is; Do I buy an extender? A repeater? Would they make any difference? And if so, could you recommend a relatively well priced one? Thanks in advance.

Oh also, we use a TP-Link modem and also have a Belkin modem/router (better quality than TP-Link) but it's a phoneline one and our connection works off DSL (I think, or is that the same thing)

As you can see I know some stuff, but lacking key knowledge pieces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I am in the same situation. I have scouted about and there is quite a bit of kit out there, but very little experience/reviews. I have been in touch with a few people online but the suggestions vary, from a simple splitter (I think this only provides 2x HDMI) through various transmitter/receiver options for 'broadcasting' tv to another room to complex LAN networking solutions over Cat5/6.

I found this www.cgv.fr/english/products/wireless/hd.../freeline-hdl-art10148.html?...

A french company which sells a box (in France anyway) for €169. Not sure of the 'passthrough' capability, so would welcome advice/information.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

BarryM wrote: »
    I am in the same situation. I have scouted about and there is quite a bit of kit out there, but very little experience/reviews. I have been in touch with a few people online but the suggestions vary, from a simple splitter (I think this only provides 2x HDMI) through various transmitter/receiver options for 'broadcasting' tv to another room to complex LAN networking solutions over Cat5/6.

A french company which sells a box (in France anyway) for €169. Not sure of the 'passthrough' capability, so would welcome advice/information.

B

Think you've got the wrong idea pal. I'm talking about internet connections and such. No worries though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ozmo

I got one of the wifi extenders and wasnt impressed.
    They slow down the wifi for users on the extension And those on the main router.
    You can get them for free from sky if you have internet with them- but i wouldnt use it.

So i ran a wire to the other side of the house and setup an old router there (edimax from maplin). It had the option to route all traffic over the wire to the upc router. It uses a different wifi channel but same wifi name(ssid) and password.

And it works brilliantly- all the phones seamlessly connect to whichever one is closer.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement