Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buttevant road works

Options
  • 01-11-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, as i have to commute daily from Limerick to Mallow for the forseeable future, I wonder if anybody has any information on them. How long will they continue and particularly how long the traffic will be diverted by Doneraile as this is adding significantly to my journey. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

nitehawk wrote: »
    Hi, as i have to commute daily from Limerick to Mallow for the forseeable future, I wonder if anybody has any information on them. How long will they continue and particularly how long the traffic will be diverted by Doneraile as this is adding significantly to my journey. Thanks

You have my sympathies! I experienced the detour on Wednesday night, it appears to be a very long way around...........I guess the traffic must be crazy at rush hour. Would it be more comfortable to divert at Charleville and head towards Kanturk then back to Mallow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

Jeans that's a nasty enough diversion, bathing worse

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

Sorry nothing worse

billy100 wrote: »
    Sorry nothing worse

The diversions must be a nightmare as a daily commute, particularly if one gets stuck behind HGV's and in this weather. Op you have my sympathies. I had a look at a map, there is very little option. Sorry I can't give you better news. How mch extra time is it adding to your journey?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nitehawk

30 mins on average but the time is not my only concern. The road is in a state because it is not fit for the HGVs and the buses. In places it is not wide enough for them so they are actually driving over the mid line. In the dark you cannot see the pot holes. Had a few hairy moments I can tell you. Hopefully it will be over quickly though. Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Chazmundus

Anyone know when it reopens? It's a major detour alright and scary for night driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Chazmundus

the signs say 5th of November - typical delays. Thanks for update.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Yesterday evening, I did not take the detour (driving from Limerick). One long holdup at temporary traffic lights on the Charleville side of Buttevent. Once you got through that, you are clear.

Much faster than taking the detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I commute through Buttevant daily too and the bad news is that this is only the start. The main work of resurfacing the main street is out to tender. The tender process isn't due to finish until mid December and then they'll start ripping up the main street. Who knows how long that will take or whether we will have to via Doneraile again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

So what have they actually done so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

So far they have badly resurfaced from just past the turn off for Doneraile (Lisballyhea) as far as the north side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've an early start and leave at 6.50am so I get through Buttevant with no delays in the morning.
    Evening time 5pm I'm taking the motorway to Mitchelstown and across to Killmallock to Charveville.
    I get home by about 6.20 at the latest as motorway is fairly quiet and the backroads I'd barely see a car on it. Bad roads though plus you have the toll charges.
    All in all it's probably costing me €15 extra as it's a 90km as opposed to 75km plus toll but it's worth it at the moment for the time I'm saving plus avoiding have to drive into cork at all. (coming from Carrrigtohill).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I commute through Buttevant daily too and the bad news is that this is only the start. The main work of resurfacing the main street is out to tender. The tender process isn't due to finish until mid December and then they'll start ripping up the main street. Who knows how long that will take or whether we will have to via Doneraile again?

The Main Street is an absolute disgrace- drove to limerick yesterday and literally had to crawl, it's how you would imagine the roads in a third world country to be. Wasn't as bad coming back from Limerick on that side of the road. And it's been getting worse over the last few years. Do the council think that by patching up small potholes over and over again will do the job? Clearly so- It's not good enough to say the job is gone out to tender in my opinion- they need to get a move on.
    And to add in regard to the road works that are currently underway the cones that stretched for about 2km outside the town were very dangerously placed yesterday- and not a road worker in sight- off for the weekend sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Since when was there an 'R' in 'Buttevant' making it 'Buttervant'?

Thought I was seeing things on those orange road works signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

about time they did something about the main street. Now just to do something about the handful of locals who seem to park outside of parking spaces on the road...............

• Registered Users Posts: 11 genie_mac

Sorry to be bringing up an old thread, Just wondering if the roadworks are still in Buttevant? I drove past on New years and they were still there but I have to travel from cork to shannon airport and if there is delays I would probably go the mitchestown route to avoid!
    Thanks in advance! :)

The budget for redoing the road in the town itself has just been approved - 1.5km of road. It badly needs doing, and they really should blitz it by diverting all traffic and closing the road. I bet they won't though - the local businesses would raise hell, so expect 2-3 months of further delays as they do it lane by lane, 200 meters at a time.

The budget for redoing the road in the town itself has just been approved - 1.5km of road. It badly needs doing, and they really should blitz it by diverting all traffic and closing the road. I bet they won't though - the local businesses would raise hell, so expect 2-3 months of further delays as they do it lane by lane, 200 meters at a time.

Gosh that is a long time for works on a National Route linking two cities !

The Detour Route is shockingly slow and bad , particularly on dark nights.

Gosh that is a long time for works on a National Route linking two cities !

The Detour Route is shockingly slow and bad , particularly on dark nights.

The Atlantic Corridor project is intended to link Cork and Limerick, but the Cork - Blarney section and Croom-Limerick section are all that got done before the economy exploded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N20_road_(Ireland)#M20_motorway

• Advertisement

The Atlantic Corridor project is intended to link Cork and Limerick, but the Cork - Blarney section and Croom-Limerick section are all that got done before the economy exploded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N20_road_(Ireland)#M20_motorway

Is it true this route was going to be named the George Hook Highway ?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Anybody have any update on how much longer works in Buttevant will continue? Progress is cruelly slow.... Why is it taking SO long?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Until March or so, is the last I heard. Delays were caused due to the need for archaeological excavations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

March.. Another 6 months, well.at least now I know, thanks :-)

Regarding the archaeological dig, was something of particular interest found do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

The only place in the world that I know if that when they"fix"it its worse than it was before.
    When I pass through it with the kids I call it Beirut as the roads would be better over there.

Amazing!!! Cannot believe the road works are still on going. Hope they found something worthwhile during the archaeological dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Until March or so, is the last I heard. Delays were caused due to the need for archaeological excavations.
    So typically Irish- rolleyes!
    Nowhere else in the world who this happen.... Even Beruit!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone going from Cork-Limerick or vice versa that doesn't already know about it, use the route via Mitchelstown. Will save you at least 20 minutes and some of your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

permanent roadworks otherwise they wont get funding every year!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Advertisement