Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communications

• 31-10-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I just found out that there is a hill walking channel on the PMR446 radios its channel 8 (446.09375) tone /ctcss 8(88.5Mhz) if anyone is interested in trying it out when your out and about.

This got me thinking about maybe setting up a channel for this forum and just use your bords.ie name as your call sign as you never know how close you are to other members while out and about. To K.I.S.S. I was thinking of using just the basic channel no tone/ctcss. So thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Unlikely to be practical, the 0.5w regulatory limit in .ie means PMR has a range of a few hundred metres at the very most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Unlikely to be practical, the 0.5w regulatory limit in .ie means PMR has a range of a few hundred metres at the very most.

I've a set of long rang ones 10 km line of sight they state which I don't believe but I've got a mile out of the in a built up area and they are crystal clear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Iv 2 sets with a range of 8km and we have got at least 5km on a drive..... could be worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

aaakev wrote: »
    Iv 2 sets with a range of 8km and we have got at least 5km on a drive..... could be worth a try!

What I was thinking it might come in useful for mostly is you never know who else could be hiking or camping near by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

aaakev wrote: »

They're very picky with any physical obstruction - I've had good quality Motorola sets go to ****e after 1-2k in woodland or over a hill. The cheapo LIDL stuff even worse off. I'd imagine they'd be grand in clear terrain or on roadways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

We have used them up around lug and that area and no problems but thats a wide open mountain with little or no cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

There is a PMR446 DXing day where everyone walks to the top of the highest nearby hill and tries to make contacts. 100km+ range is possible

Advertisement