Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Tax Protest March - Greystones?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Can anyone tell us the time and venue for this?

Personally, I waste little water and I believe that those that do should pay but, this levy is not about water conservation. It is obviously a tax with the intention of paying down the debt foisted upon us. This was agreed between Fianna Fail and the IMF. Fianna Fail intended a €400 per household tax.

The "jobs for the boys" approach and total disregard for budgeting or savings for citizens is deplorable. People need to be aware of this e.g., Fine Gael engagement of Denis O'Brien's Company instead of Siemens cost us €350,000,000!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-26845507.html and,

Irish water have 2,000 surplus staff costing us €2,000,000,000! Many are on pretty much guaranteed bonuses:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-waters-2000-extra-staff-to-cost-householders-2bn-29952271.html

The cost of the meters alone at €780 each is about 2.5 times what it should be per many reports. This was to be charged to us as a standing charge of €20 per year for 39 years but, Labour shrewdly manipulated this so the standing charge was "removed"...well not really, it was made up for in reduced allowances.

A family of four's reduced allowances mean that they will be paying for ALL the water used after three months of every year!

There have already been several data protection breaches, with Irish Water only now looking for a "Data Protection Tsar" Sure, I'm going to give these guys my PPSN!

No way I can go along with this type of incompetency, inefficiency, disregard for economy and blatant stroke politics.

I'm not sending back any pack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Honestly! wrote: »

Irish water have 2,000 surplus staff costing us €2,000,000,000!

How can this be correct? 2,000 staff on an average salary+costs of 1,000,000 per head!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

OK, just read Irish Independent article - it's the cost of the next 10 years.

But these people were already employed by the local authorities, weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

jpd wrote: »
    OK, just read Irish Independent article - it's the cost of the next 10 years.

But these people were already employed by the local authorities, weren't they?

No not everyone was already employed. I know if a number of new staff hired in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Do peaceful marches ever work? Out of interest you point out the things that have already been done, what is the aim of the march? Abolishment of the water company, a change in the way it is run or just a way for people to say they are not happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Details are here

https://www.facebook.com/events/880669995284303/?unit_ref=related_events

Greystones Civic Offices Mill Rd (Park & Ride) to the harbour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

If you haven't sent back your application pack, then maybe the march is for attending by you. If you feel you were a bit premature when sending back your pack without knowing the full facts, then perhaps consider attending also.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Jimjay wrote: »
    Do peaceful marches ever work? Out of interest you point out the things that have already been done, what is the aim of the march? Abolishment of the water company, a change in the way it is run or just a way for people to say they are not happy?

The water tax credits were not part of the recent budget but were introduced in reaction to the 100,000+ protest in Dublin. 100,000 voters is a significant part of the electorate. So yes, protest does work.

People are unhappy from many reasons,as per the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

14:00 Greystones Civic Offices Mill Rd (Park & Ride) to the harbour

https://www.facebook.com/events/8806...related_events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

so what do you think will happen if Irish Water is abolished ? We won't have to pay extra?

No. What will happen is the PAYE worker will end up footing the bill yet again!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod warning:
    No wild stories without something to back them up.
    Stay on topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement