Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are eircom throttling youtube

Options
  • 23-10-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all lately i have being having a lot of problems playing youtube videos in anything over 360p after 5-6pm which i found very strange since i have 70mb down anyway after some head scratching and making sure everything was working ok on my end i found out if you right click on the youtube video it shows a really useful menu called stats for nerds :rolleyes: which shows the exact connection speed . When i tryed playing a video at 720p it would jump to around 27000-60000kps for about half a second then drop to a consistent 2000-500kps which would cause the video running at 720pto stop and buffer about every 30 seconds . After seeing this i thought ah its probably a youtube problem so i gave it a few days and it was still the same after 6pm the speed would drop drastically so today i installed a VPN and straight away my speed is back to 60000kps so my question is has anyone else had this problem with Eircom or is it just me or can anyone here with a VPN test this and see if they get the same results
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

mememo wrote: »
    Hi all lately i have being having a lot of problems playing youtube videos in anything over 360p after 5-6pm which i found very strange since i have 70mb down anyway after some head scratching and making sure everything was working ok on my end i found out if you right click on the youtube video it shows a really useful menu called stats for nerds :rolleyes: which shows the exact connection speed . When i tryed playing a video at 720p it would jump to around 27000-60000kps for about half a second then drop to a consistent 2000-500kps which would cause the video running at 720pto stop and buffer about every 30 seconds . After seeing this i thought ah its probably a youtube problem so i gave it a few days and it was still the same after 6pm the speed would drop drastically so today i installed a VPN and straight away my speed is back to 60000kps so my question is has anyone else had this problem with Eircom or is it just me or can anyone here with a VPN test this and see if they get the same results

I am having the exact same problem as you. As soon as you get between the hours of 5-6pm YouTube playback grinds to a halt. At around midnight its back to full speed again. Its not gradual either.All of a sudden come 12pm videos start buffering from about 500kbps to near the full speed of my connection.

The interesting this is I tested with a VPN during the slow times and low and behold if buffered full speed. I resorted to using the Hola extension on Chrome during these times just to even get Youtube to buffer at some sort of decent speed.

I talked to eircom tech support and the seemed to be as baffled as me and suggested the usual restarting of routers, resetting to factory defaults, DNS server changes, etc. I gave up after an hour of basic troubleshooting steps with them.

It looks very suspicious that they are throttling however if they were I'm sure more would have noticed by now and there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

It isn't just YouTube - I tried loading Eircom's own video on Silicon Republic and that wouldn't buffer. I wonder are they having load problems with some of their nodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mememo

I don't think its a load problem i live in Athy which has around 6000 residents its very strange i just tested it at 8:30 and its back to 50000kbs but last night i was able to play Netflicks in HD with no problem the only difference between twitch/youtube/Silicon Republic and Netflick is that the former use flash player and Netflicks uses silverlight just out of curiosity tonight at the slow time I'm going to try forcing html5 playback on youtube and see what speeds i get

I don't think its a load problem i live in Athy which has around 6000 residents its very strange i just tested it at 8:30 and its back to 50000kbs but last night i was able to play Netflicks in HD with no problem the only difference between twitch/youtube/Silicon Republic and Netflick is that the former use flash player and Netflicks uses silverlight just out of curiosity tonight at the slow time I'm going to try forcing html5 playback on youtube and see what speeds i get

For me anyway it only affects YouTube. I can stream from any other site at full speed no problem.

I have also tried forcing HTML5 in YouTube but noticed no difference in speed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

A lot of people are experiencing this on eFibre, myself included. Buffering on twitch (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's twitch's fault there) and YouTube with 80 down. There's a number of threads about it on the Talk To Eircom forum here and a sticky thread about it on Eircom's own forum here. http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/bd-p/32 (seems to be down at the moment)

• Advertisement

A lot of people are experiencing this on eFibre, myself included. Buffering on twitch (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's twitch's fault there) and YouTube with 80 down. There's a number of threads about it on the Talk To Eircom forum here and a sticky thread about it on Eircom's own forum here. http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/bd-p/32 (seems to be down at the moment)

I don't think its twitch's fault ..... this time i tryed using it with a VPN yesterday and no buffering on source but as soon as i turned it off the VPN stream was unwatchable even on medium oh and I'm using hotspot shield as my VPN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

I don't think its twitch's fault ..... this time i tryed using it with a VPN yesterday and no buffering on source but as soon as i turned it off the VPN stream was unwatchable even on medium oh and I'm using hotspot shield as my VPN

I'll give that a go. I said that as twitch has issues in the EU quite frequently, so I wasn't sure what was causing it this time. Unfortunately it won't make a difference for watching it on the Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Just experienced this problem for the first time last night on Youtube...using eircom fiber so something is definitely not right

Yeah I'm getting the same thing again tonight i had a little more time today so i spent about 2 hours playing around with my router what ever is going wrong is definitely on Eircoms end i tryed a few streaming sites some have problems and some don't but i can still get around full speed on steam 7.9MB/S . It just seems to be video streaming sites that are affected but as soon as switch on my VPN everything works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ZephyrSurfer

Eircom have messed up everything in the last week or so. I have a solution if you guys want.

Change your DNS settings on your modem. Search Public DNS(I'd give a link but boards.ie is not letting me)

If this worked for you, go yell at Eircom(a lot until it's fixed), Thanks.

Edit: Make sure to reboot afterwards. That's the modem to be sure.

• Advertisement

This is a joke today I,m only getting 100kb without a vpn . I,m assuming its because the schools are out It has to be a saturation problem wtf eircom I'm paying €50 a month for this BS cant wait to phone them again tomorrow and spend an hour talking to people who have no idea what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I have logged a case with eircom on their youtube performance.

Could you guys maybe do he same if you have the same issues, so we can get this looked into.

They are saying the problem is outside of the eircom network, I'm not so sure.

Outside the network lol thats why i hate getting in contact with Eircom there are a few people that know what their talking about and the rest just spout excuses if VPNs are bringing the speed back up to around normal then it has to be on Eircoms side

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

It's not just youtube they are throtling, its also file downloads.

I use the popular beyondpod app on my Samsung Galaxy s4 for all things podcasts.

For the past week or so, in the evenings/peak times, the download speed is without question throttled down to an absolute crawl. Something around 2kb a second.

Speedtests say I am getting my expected download speeds, browsing websites etc is also fine.

Unbelievable what this company gets away with.

Edit: I opened beyondpod with the free vpn app hola (US connection) and guess what... I can download podcasts again at a respectable speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

In a word Eircom is currently DIRE. I'm having issues with almost every video streaming site, frankly this seems too large to be deliberate. Something is wrong somewhere and needs fixing, I have never seen Eircoms broadband this bad.

Also can anyone recommend a good VPN service? I've messed around with the free version of Tunnelbear today to know it fixes everything but I would like something I can setup on my router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Youtube, vimeo, facebook and daily mail all loading extremely slowly if at all between 6pm-11pm. All loading fine through VPN. All other websites that I frequent are loading as normal, speed tests confirm my internet is also running as normal.

I had an engineer out today from Eircom and he said there was a problem with the main box installed with fiber i was just able to test it now on youtube a few minutes ago and its 40000kbs ill run tests every half hour tomorrow night and let you all know if the new box changed anything

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

eircom are not throttling youtube but there is a definitely a traffic routing problem that needs fixing.

it is being looked into though. right now there is very little tech support can do until eircom network operations sort out the traffic routing issue.

its not even limited to efibre

im on a 12mb adsl connection and it too crawls between 6pm and midnight everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ma11achy

Same problem here. Speed tests are telling me I'm getting in the region of 20 Mb/s.... However YouTube, iTunes, etc. are pretty much unusable.
    It took over a minute to download a FOUR MEGABYTE file last night.

I have a poll on the eircom forum to see who else are experiencing the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

So the conclusion is that Eircom are not purposely throttling anything, but there are major issues with their infrastructure/network that is causing all these issues?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

In short, yes. This isn't just limited to You-tube or if you are on e-fibre or ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I've paid for a month of Tunnelbear with the current sale. Hopefully this will be fixed before the auto-renewal.

Im using hotpot shield i got a free 3 month free code a while ago so hope its fixed by then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Experiencing exactly the same issue. YouTube and NFL Game Pass unusable at those hours and flying just before. SpeedTest going from solid 10 meg to 3 meg.

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/Slow-speeds-at-peak-times/td-p/60996/highlight/false/page/42

http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/2kvlqg/eircom_slowdown/

How would we use tunnel bear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

In short, yes. This isn't just limited to You-tube or if you are on e-fibre or ADSL.

I see issues with Youtube, updates to Android apps, Sky Go and in general just browsing anytime between 7 and 10 on and we use Vodafone. Can also confirm speeds dropping by about 15% during these times according to my Samknows data.
    Would you think this is wider than just Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I see issues with Youtube, updates to Android apps, Sky Go and in general just browsing anytime between 7 and 10 on and we use Vodafone. Can also confirm speeds dropping by about 15% during these times according to my Samknows data. Would you think this is wider than just Eircom?

depends where the issue lies. eircom & Vodafone lines would share backhaul from the individual exchanges, but they would each have separate core networks and connections to the rest of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

have the same issue as well for any video streaming service, not just youtube, but sky go tv, rte player, etc

Its fine in the morning, and after 6 its unusable.

There is definitely contention going on, or some sort of network management...

For the first time in well over a month its fine this evening. YouTube buffering at full speed. Usually this time of night its mostly unusable. Anybody else find it better tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Give it an hour or 2... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Vimeo unusable tonight.

Advertisement