Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Irish Clan

Options
  • 10-10-2014 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello lads. Was thinking of starting a large Irish gaming community/clan. I know we have a scarce gaming community here but would be good to try get them all together.
    The idea behind this would be to set up a team speak where people could go on and find people to play with, who want to play their games more team based.
    This can range from any types of games. Arma, bf4, css, dota.
    Whatever game you want.
    Was also thinking if enough people are interested we could hold monthly competitions and tournaments. The idea is still just floating around in the back of my head but would appreciate feed back and to know who would be interested in doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It sounds interesting, but you have to be realistic about what you are letting yourself in for. For a successful community you need to have the basic facilities, and you need to keep them running: if vent is down you will need to fix it, on top of your day job and keeping your life running. No one will pay you for it. Everyone will blame you for it. You're going to need to do it out of love...for want of a better word.

On top of that, you will need to handle drama. Nerd X hates Nerd Y. You are going to have to get those nerds playing nice together. That's a real tough job - I've had major roles in minor clans and minor roles in larger clans and believe me: drama sucks the fun out of gaming. **** me, the stories I could tell you about inconsequential nonsense between people that I had to referee are too boring to recount. I cant even imagine the bull**** people who have major roles in large clans have to put up with.

It takes a mix of leadership and ability to deliver. There is some sort of demand out there with semi-regular requests for an Irish/Boards clan for a new game. Communities do not self organise. Can you deliver good facilities, and can you lead people into a community? I guess you wont know until you try. The facilities are probably the easier part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Sand wrote: »
    On top of that, you will need to handle drama. Nerd X hates Nerd Y. You are going to have to get those nerds playing nice together. That's a real tough job - I've had major roles in minor clans and minor roles in larger clans and believe me: drama sucks the fun out of gaming. **** me, the stories I could tell you about inconsequential nonsense between people that I had to referee are too boring to recount. I cant even imagine the bull**** people who have major roles in large clans have to put up with.

This, a million times this!

Also clans that are for a specific section of people never work out. You need diversity to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This, a million times this!

Women A sleeps with nerd 1, 2 and 3 over a six month period during friendly social visits across England. Nerd 1 is a clan founder, nerd 2 is married and his wife is in the clan. Nerd 3 is borderline psychotic and is now stalking women A. Woman A is quite frankly not much better with nerd 2. Wife of nerd 2 sleeps with two new clan nerds in a threeway. I nope the **** out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

The community is there but it's a logistical mightmare. Pretty sure, once a site is up and running, you can't advertise on Boards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Truck9289 wrote: »
    Hello lads. Was thinking of starting a large Irish gaming community/clan. I know we have a scarce gaming community here but would be good to try get them all together.
    The idea behind this would be to set up a team speak where people could go on and find people to play with, who want to play their games more team based.
    This can range from any types of games. Arma, bf4, css, dota.
    Whatever game you want.
    Was also thinking if enough people are interested we could hold monthly competitions and tournaments. The idea is still just floating around in the back of my head but would appreciate feed back and to know who would be interested in doing this.

Scarce gaming community ? I think its just a scattered gaming community it used to be much more focused in the pc gaming space I think now it's spread over multiple platforms.

I would start by picking one of those platforms it looks like your talking about pc gaming so it'd post there first.

Second, you need to pick one game to start with as foundation, no point picking a handful and getting only 1-2 players playing something at a time.

Third, I believe there maybe some guilds in the arms space at least so doing some investigation would stand to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

There are already several Irish clans/communities: GaelLords, Craggy, IBF2, TiG, Celts and probabaly some others

Advertisement