Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does WIMAX (Rocket Broadband) work?

Options
  • 05-10-2014 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know how WIMAX (Rocket Broadband) works?

We have just built a pretty airtight timber frame house and are thinking of getting Rocket Broadband. We can't drill through the walls as it will compromise the structure so we would need to make some provision if wires need to go from outside to insside.

From what I can gather the broadband is sent from a local transmitter to the house where there is a router/reciever. Does any body know if Wimax requires equipment outside the house? If there is a 'reciever' could this be located in the loft space?

Thanks,

J :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Not sure what "rocket broadband" is but I had wimax for a couple of years. I only needed the black router thingy to get a signal but my ex needs an external antenna to boost her signal. Neither of us would be living in a rural area either.

Depending on your location and distance to the mast will decide what you need. When the antenna was being fitted she was told it had to be fitted externally.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭improv_12

Thanks for that Owryan,

We are in a rural location (Kilmore Quay, Wexford). From what you say it might be that we need to have an antenna on the outside....

Thanks for you reply :)

Advertisement