Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do Wexford people treat "blow-ins"?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Maybe I was unfortunate enough to be a bit unnerved by some negatives reviews on LikePlace Ireland.com, but how do people treat outsiders from different counties? I heard things like they would ignore you as soon as they hear your not from Wexford Town, since it has known for intermarrying?! But then I hear how people here are not clannish and are very welcoming. Even my mother spoke fondly of the place and its people, and this is the first time I have ever heard her compliment a place so well.

I mean I will be living here as a young student, and I had to move away from my previous college because of its clannish nature, so I would be disappointed if it is the same thing all over again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Didnt live there but lived up the road in Arklow for almost 4 years, they were deeply anti Dublin.

I watched the all Ireland final last year in Gorey and overheard a customer in the bar saying 'Dublin scum' to the bar girl. She laughed and nodded. Another Dublin customer heard him and gave him a piece of his mind about us keeping the pubs/shops going and subsidising every other county whice I agreed with him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

'The Irish are a fair people; they never speak well of one another.' Samuel Johnson.

I think you'll find Wexford much the same as any other county to live in. I blew in here 13 years ago and have never had a problem or heard 'scum' type comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

My dad moved to Enniscorthy nearly 2 years ago, and have really integrated well into the community, and he's not even Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I've lived in Wexford nearly a year now and have had nothing but positive interactions with the locals. I have heard the 'Dublin scum' comment, but it was aimed at scum from Dublin, so it was fair comment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ha, probably ain't too fond of the Dubs alright - but we wouldn't be alone there :)

I'm joking of course, just so many do holiday here in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I am living here 29 years and still a blow-in. I might have been accepted earlier if I wasn't a Dub and was prepared to sleep with my cousin.

Seriously though, everyone is generally friendly and I love it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I've never really seen anything anti-everyonelse, unless you're in Wexford Park and the opposition are hammering us!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Moocifer

I'm as yellow bellied as they come but I'm married to a Lilly white who's been living here for about 15 years. He gets on better here than I do although I still can't get him to wear the purple and gold :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Moocifer wrote: »
    I'm as yellow bellied as they come but I'm married to a Lilly white who's been living here for about 15 years. He gets on better here than I do although I still can't get him to wear the purple and gold :-D

Lol.. have the same problem with a Kilkenny partner.... although he has the Loch Garman shirt he refuses to wear it :)

I'm a blow in (16 years) as is my partner (3 years).... I think its like anywhere. Its what you make of it. If you make an effort it will be reciprocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

My experience is, the further south you go in Wexford, the more clannish people are. Lived near Wellington Bridge for a few years and never fitted in, when I moved closer to Gorey it was different, probably due to the high proportion of blowins plus the fact that thousands of Dubs saturate the place during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

i moved to ballycullane 13 years ago love the place, yes there are ignorant asses around but you will find them in every town/village.city/outpost in the country,have fitted in very well in the local community

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

Been living in Wexford Town all of my life. Never really had a problem with "blow-ins", so to speak. Never really became a topic, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

"Blew in" over 9 years ago, haven't noticed any animosity or target on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Started secondary in Co Wexford in 70's and started working in Co Wexford in 80's .

Still here , and there have been a few workmates that continued to call me the 'Carla man '' , but was always humoursome .

Would still consider myself a blow-in .:)

Advertisement