Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pachter - next generation will be console free, 3rd Party Nintendo

Options
  • 06-09-2014 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

According to Pachter, cloud gaming services will overtake hardware within a generation's time, and this will spell the end of Nintendo as a first-party company. Nintendo, he asserts, is too far behind in terms of cloud technology, and they won't be able to keep creating hardware.

They are more than a decade behind the curve, and they are so insular that there is no desire internally to learn from others. Nintendo hardware goes away. There is a place for their content. There is no place for Nintendo hardware. Nobody cares. They will have to abandon hardware. — Michael Pachter

http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/heres-why-michael-pachter-is-wrong-about-a-console-free-next-gen#.VArOClYrhg0

Are Pachters predictions ever right? He had his weight behind the Xbox One beating the PS4 in sales before and right after the launch, then he suddenly changed his mind. Absolute nonsense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

cloud493 wrote: »
    http://www.gamnesia.com/articles/heres-why-michael-pachter-is-wrong-about-a-console-free-next-gen#.VArOClYrhg0

Are Pachters predictions ever right? He had his weight behind the Xbox One beating the PS4 in sales before and right after the launch, then he suddenly changed his mind. Absolute nonsense.

Nintendo aren't going anywhere, they are pretty firmly established as the "family friendly" game systems, and as gamers get older and have kids, they are a logical choice for gamer parents to use to introduce their children to their hobby. I've done it with my own kids. Mario is better known in my house than any other brand. I can't see Nintendo losing out any time soon, especially if they keep their first party IPs close to their chest

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not take hits against Pachter. He says himself, that he speculates and that he is being wrong too. He is being right a lot too. I really liked his show on GT trailers.

On this matter, I dont believe that there will not be any more consoles and everything will go streaming way. Streaming still has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go and internet is not even near the level to make it as comfortable as direct, no input lag, gaming.
    I bet there are people like me, who just like to have hardware under theirs TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep. Internet infrastructure needs to improve ten-fold before realtime streaming gameplay will work properly. It's not even a case of backwater areas not being up to it, America's public internet would be nowhere near being able to handle it. I can see where he's coming from on Nintendo hardware, especially their set-top consoles but I see a different future for them myself. They're still number one when it comes to handheld hardware and I think they need to take advantage of that. Their next console needs to be a handheld which can play games on the go but at home slot directly into a set-top box console that lets you continue your gameplay on the big screen. Kind of the way the Neo Geo X Gold was supposed to be, but not rubbish - http://neogeox.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well its been confirmed by themselves they're going for a combined kind of home and portable experience, I can definitely see that. But no way will we see a complete lack of physical releases, or Nintendo going third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well its been confirmed by themselves they're going for a combined kind of home and portable experience, I can definitely see that. But no way will we see a complete lack of physical releases, or Nintendo going third party.

Has it? I've missed that entirely.

• Advertisement

Yeah unless I've just been misinterpreting what they're saying :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Once we get to a stage where everyone is buying their games and downloading them to the console we can start thinking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I really don't know why Nintendo have not put some of their older games on mobiles yet. There is a huge market out their that they are just ignoring and it's not going away. As a PC gamer I haven't bought a console since the PS2 excluding handhelds but thats so I can play higher spec games than mobile games on the go. I don't see it cutting into the handheld market that much until specs catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Yep. Internet infrastructure needs to improve ten-fold before realtime streaming gameplay will work properly. It's not even a case of backwater areas not being up to it, America's public internet would be nowhere near being able to handle it.

This cannot be overstated and frankly I'm flabbergasted that someone who's paid to make these kinds of predictions could overlook something so glaringly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

This cannot be overstated and frankly I'm flabbergasted that someone who's paid to make these kinds of predictions could overlook something so glaringly obvious.

if he was any good he wouldnt be doing work for GT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

NTMK wrote: »
    if he was any good he wouldnt be doing work for GT

He's actually not anymore. Since they were bought by Defy he's looking for a new place for his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The current steaming efforts haven't really taken off, and there are a lot of infrastructure issues that need to be sorted. Still far to many people with poor internet.

I like a lot of what game trailers put out, the pop fiction segments, the timeline and retrospectives, Bosnan. The reviews seem a bit all over the place at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I find it a strange argument. It's not like the cloud server back end hardware would need to be developed by Nintendo from scratch. This isn't like talking about end-user console technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

nesf wrote: »
    I find it a strange argument. It's not like the cloud server back end hardware would need to be developed by Nintendo from scratch. This isn't like talking about end-user console technology.
    He appears to be speaking from a position of technological naivety. I mean look at Sony, their upcoming services and cloud-based offerings would be impossible without their partnership with Rackspace and their Gaikai acquisition. To suggest that Nintendo couldn't, or to be more specific wouldn't, adopt the same approach if required is ludicrous.

gizmo wrote: »
    He appears to be speaking from a position of technological naivety. I mean look at Sony, their upcoming services and cloud-based offerings would be impossible without their partnership with Rackspace and their Gaikai acquisition. To suggest that Nintendo couldn't, or to be more specific wouldn't, adopt the same approach if required is ludicrous.

Exactly, a few partnerships and Nintendo would be par with the rest of the field. And right now cloud gaming is very much in its infancy. It just doesn't work properly yet for too many different types of games (especially platformers where varying input lag is a real no-no) so it's not like anyone has cracked the problem yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lol cloud gaming will never take off imo.

The latency involved is going to be too high for an enjoyable experience for anything but casual gamers.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Lol cloud gaming will never take off imo.

The latency involved is going to be too high for an enjoyable experience for anything but casual gamers.

I disagree. I just don't expect FPS style shooters and more "a bit of" lag friendly games like WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I really don't know why Nintendo have not put some of their older games on mobiles yet. There is a huge market out their that they are just ignoring and it's not going away. As a PC gamer I haven't bought a console since the PS2 excluding handhelds but thats so I can play higher spec games than mobile games on the go. I don't see it cutting into the handheld market that much until specs catch up.
    If rather go blind than try to play Mario on a 5" touchscreen.

I disagree. I just don't expect FPS style shooters and more "a bit of" lag friendly games like WoW.

Unless you live very close to the servers forget about it. The technology is totally unproven.

If it's not 100% and Sony and Microsoft think they can get away with not making new hardware then I can see a big shift to PC gaming.

If game devs could loosen microsoft's grip on DirectX and they started using openGL then OS's like SteamOS would become viable for casual gamers who want a simple console controller interface.

• Advertisement

Unless you live very close to the servers forget about it. The technology is totally unproven.

If it's not 100% and Sony and Microsoft think they can get away with not making new hardware then I can see a big shift to PC gaming.

Oh I'm not saying it's viable now. Just in the future I could see it happening, especially with improvements to local networks in different countries.

Oh I'm not saying it's viable now. Just in the future I could see it happening, especially with improvements to local networks in different countries.

Not in the lifetime of the PS4 or Xbox1 imo. These so called industry experts are idiots most of the time.

Not in the lifetime of the PS4 or Xbox1 imo. These so called industry experts are idiots most of the time.

They could be around ten years to be honest. But yeah, the industry commentators on this are blowing smoke.

Advertisement