Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyrim, where to next?

Options
  • 05-09-2014 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

So I can't sleep so thought I'd stick this up.

Basically I have a bit of free time on my hands and looking for a new game to dive into. I loved Skyrim and was wondering if there was any games similar enough to play next? Would like it to be newish (last 3-4 years) and for it to be on the 360 as I don't have an xbone yet :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dark Souls, it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

-Oblivion (the game before Skyrim)

-Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas

-The Witcher / 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Oblivion is very hard to go back to after Skyrim. Much more diverse environments and that's brilliant, but the ****e with the gates and little things like the load limit will crack you up.

Fallout, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Oblivion is very hard to go back to after Skyrim. Much more diverse environments and that's brilliant, but the ****e with the gates and little things like the load limit will crack you up.

Fallout, imho.

Yep. Although Oblivion is a better experience than Skyrim IMHO it would drive you mad after playing a lot of Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

definitely The Witcher 2 if you are on xbox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get stuck into fallout 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I'm not sure if it would be what you are looking for. But I am really enjoying Kingdoms Of Amular: Reckoning. It's not quite in the Skyrim/Oblivion mold but I found it far superior to Dragon Age: Origins. It's about two years old so it might be found cheaply somewhere if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Apolloyon wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it would be what you are looking for. But I am really enjoying Kingdoms Of Amular: Reckoning. It's not quite in the Skyrim/Oblivion mold but I found it far superior to Dragon Age: Origins. It's about two years old so it might be found cheaply somewhere if you're interested.

I'd agree on that. Kingdoms of Amular is a very enjoyable game. Dragon Age was decent enough, but I found it to be quite annoying.

The Fallout games are fantastic, and the Mass Effect games might be worth a play through too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ohhh also dragon dogma,brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I'd recommend one of the batmans. Good graphics, solid game play, interesting story and lots to do.
    The problem with something like skyrim is you will keep comparing it to skyrim whereas batman you know is going to be different.

After that play dark souls, once you get into it its one of the best games ever.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning will be right up your street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls. Everything else is second best.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Kingdoms of Amalur, I loved, but it's more like Fable than Elder Scrolls in terms of mechanics, gameplay and style. I was lucky enough to be brought to an EA press event when they had it almost ready to launch and I got a 2 hours hands on with it that felt like 20 minutes it was so enjoyable (and having, at the time, been bitterly disappointed by Fable 3, this was all the more enjoyable as it's the game Fable 3 should have been). I think it's only a tenner on Origin atm, well worth it.

There is one complaint: I did tell the producer chap who was on hand when I played it first that the voice actors calling the Tuatha "tu-ath-ah" thing caused me major brain breaking stress because it's pronounced Tu-hah. He looked at me like I was trying to wind him up until I told him it's an Irish word and a lot of the inspiration for the game's story was clearly of Irish and Celtic mythological descent and that really, it wouldn't have killed them to ask an Irish person to just let them know they had everything on the money before spending thousands on voice actors and recording studios. He facepalmed and apologised and said "well it's not something we can fix now, but you're right, we should have checked."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'd say Dark Souls but it really depends on what kind of game you're looking for because Dark Souls plays very differently to Skyrim and has a little more of a difficulty curve. It's not that hard of a game, (gets made out to be much harder than it is) it just has an initial spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect 2 and 3 would be my recommendation. The Fallout games are the closest you'll get in terms of exploration and wandering off into a cave just to see whats there before finding a quest line that will keep you busy all day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If you haven't tried Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas then I would give them a go, you could really enjoy them if you were a Skyrim / Oblivion fan. Hopefully there will be a Fallout 4 for you to enjoy in the not too distant future too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

They brought out the remastered first fable game.

it is old now at this stage, and even remastered is still old looking, but it is a bloody good game. Much better then the two that came after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

allibastor wrote: »
    They brought out the remastered first fable game.

it is old now at this stage, and even remastered is still old looking, but it is a bloody good game. Much better then the two that came after.

The bolded part x100000. Fable one was such a good game, but my got the following two were terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I second fable, even the old version aged OK, except the facial animation. Its an RPG game I played after skyrim or oblivion that didn't make me think I should just play skyrim or oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'd say Dark Souls but it really depends on what kind of game you're looking for because Dark Souls plays very differently to Skyrim and has a little more of a difficulty curve. It's not that hard of a game, (gets made out to be much harder than it is) it just has an initial spike.

And by curve, you mean cliff, but once you start to get the hang of it, you'll find it to be one of the most compelling, rewarding games, you'll ever play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Ive been playing Skyrim on and off since it was released in 2011 and still haven't got around to finishing the main quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

I put hours and hours into skyrim prob my fav game after oblivion but as i am not online on my 360 i had to suffer the dreaded bugs no patch's for me I am considering getting the legendary edition of skyrim just to complete the thieves guild questline and get the
    Armour best looking armour in my opinion Question are the bugs fixed in the legendary edition? back to the op question play Darksouls next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, the first and third games in the series. The first game was broken and yet brilliant upon release, and worth the very long wait. The second game, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, I found very buggy and frustrating. I really enjoyed Call of Pripyat, the atmosphere and imagination make it very memorable.

There is a MOD for the first game called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha, which aims to incorporate features striped out of the finished build of the first game, and whilst I haven't got around to trying it out I have heard mostly good things about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What about Dishonoured?
    The Souls games are all well worth playing, though I would start with Demon's Souls as it's different from the following two, good game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Red Dead Redemption?

Advertisement