Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving License as ID for nightclubs? (Ireland)

Options
  • 04-09-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am 18 and I have my full driver license. I am wondering if my drivers license alone is an acceptable form of ID for buying Alcohol and going to nightclubs in Dublin, Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

heygirl123 wrote: »
    I am 18 and I have my full driver license. I am wondering if my drivers license alone is an acceptable form of ID for buying Alcohol and going to nightclubs in Dublin, Ireland?

A lot of places will accept a drivers licence, but some might ask for a second form of ID, I usually have my licence and passport.

I've also used several other ID cards as a back up for my licence, they wouldn't be an acceptable ID on their own but something that matches your licence should do.

I'd suggest you get a Garda age card, their not dear (€10 I think), and will save you a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 heygirl123

Thanks! I will look into getting an age card, but for now would my driver license and a credit card (my name and signature but no picture) work together to prove my ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

heygirl123 wrote: »
    Thanks! I will look into getting an age card, but for now would my driver license and a credit card (my name and signature but no picture) work together to prove my ID?

It might and might not. Since its so easy to forge a licence. That credit card could be anyone's who's name you just happen to share

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

Almost all of the main places will accept your Driving License but there are a couple of exceptions. Diceys would be the main one that I've had trouble with before, I'm not sure if there are others. They'll usually say on their facebook event, so if you want to be safe just check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Just get an age card. Costs €15 right ? If you lose passport its what €80 to replace, and a drivers license is what €35 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

As far as I know, Garda age card is the only ID that has to be accepted. The rest (including passport AFAIK) are down to the individual shop to decide whether to accept them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Use your student card as another form. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Just get an age card. Costs €15 right ? If you lose passport its what €80 to replace, and a drivers license is what €35 ?

10 actually! I still haven't sent my application into the Guards... May get on that fairly lively

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I presume heygirl123 is not Irish and would ineligible for an Irish Age Card given they asked about 'Dublin, Ireland'. I'm guessing American? You will probably need your passport to be honest. I don't know an Irish venue that accepts anything other than an Age Card, A Passport or the new style Irish driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

As far as I know, Garda age card is the only ID that has to be accepted. The rest (including passport AFAIK) are down to the individual shop to decide whether to accept them or not.

The Intoxicating Liquor Act states the Driving Licence, Passport and Garda ID are the only acceptable forms of ID. They are all of equal merit as they are produced by the State. If a licensed premises refused entry based on one of these forms of ID they could be at risk of not having their licence renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Lmklad wrote: »
    The Intoxicating Liquor Act states the Driving Licence, Passport and Garda ID are the only acceptable forms of ID.

That's true.
    They are all of equal merit as they are produced by the State. If a licensed premises refused entry based on one of these forms of ID they could be at risk of not having their licence renewed.
    That's rubbish, they don't have to sell you anything in the first place. Loads of places have signs that specifically state that they will only except the Garda Age Card. I've seen such signs in Lidl/Aldi and Dunnes.

A quick search on boards revealed the following post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That's rubbish, they don't have to sell you anything in the first place. Loads of places have signs that specifically state that they will only except the Garda Age Card. I've seen such signs in Lidl/Aldi and Dunnes.

A quick search on boards revealed the following post.

People seem to have this idea that they have a right to go anywhere and buy anything. You can be refused entry to any premises (licensed or unlicensed) and denied the right to buy anything. Boggles the mind the sense of entitlement of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you have it alongside your UCD student card you should be fine everywhere in town, not sure about off licenses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

I ordered an ISIC (International Student Identity Card). I'm hoping it's going to cover I.D. as well as discounts. It cost €15 + €2 postage.

Advertisement