Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

16 Days in NZ, Should we do both Islands?

• 03-09-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

im thinking of booking flights to nz soon for a holiday. Im undecided if we should go to Christchurch, spend all our time on the south Island and then fly out again in Christchurch, or should we drive to North Island and fly out from Auckland. Im afraid we dont have enough time to visit both and am wondering is the north Island worth visiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Fol20 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

im thinking of booking flights to nz soon for a holiday. Im undecided if we should go to Christchurch, spend all our time on the south Island and then fly out again in Christchurch, or should we drive to North Island and fly out from Auckland. Im afraid we dont have enough time to visit both and am wondering is the north Island worth visiting?[/QUOTE

Hi there,

I'll preface my reply by saying that I haven't been to NZ since the Christchurch earthquake so can't comment in relation to that.

It really, really depends on what you wish to see/do. They are very different in many ways. I've been there 3 times - the shortest of which was 16 days and the longest was 5 weeks. We tried to do both islands in 16 days and a lot of time was spent driving. You can drive to the north island by ferry - 3hrs I think - from Picton to Wellington but Auckland is a long drive north of Wellington.

Whillst the South Island is stunning and you could easily spend 16 days there, the North Island also offers a lot. However, you could probably do the South I. in 10 days - not ideal imo - that would allow you sometime up North. Wellington is a great, cool city but my favourite areas of the North I. are up North. I love Coramandel Peninsula - drive from Auckland - and the Northland region up around the Bay of Islands. The top of the North I. is more sub-tropical in climate and vegetation compared to the South I. The North I. in generally is a very good area if you're interested in the history of NZ - the Maoris haven't populated the South I. to the same extent. Maybe, consider internal flights if you wish to save time maybe.

I'll assume you're up to speed with South I. options but do get back if you want any further advice. I hope this helps. 16 days will allow you to do bits of both islands but it will feel rushed. We went back again exactly because of this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

Yea thats exactly what im afraid of. We drove 15k in 2 months in Australia, and for us, timing and driving was fine as there wasnt much in between plus we werent on a deadline after we finished our roadtrip.

Everyone we talk to tell us to go to the south Island, and i think for 16 days we should just spend all of our time in the south Island. I read that Auckland is a fairly boring City. What else is worth seeing in the North? I keep hearing about geothermal places. Is there anything else worthwhile seeing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Coromandel
    Rotorua for the hot springs
    Tauranga is beautiful
    Lake Taupo

I spent 5 weeks on the north island & didn't get close to seeing it all
    To be honest if I were you I would just stick with the south island if that's where you want to go & take your time & enjoy it rather than just rushing around & seeing hardly anthing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Fol20 wrote: »
    Yea thats exactly what im afraid of. We drove 15k in 2 months in Australia, and for us, timing and driving was fine as there wasnt much in between plus we werent on a deadline after we finished our roadtrip.

Everyone we talk to tell us to go to the south Island, and i think for 16 days we should just spend all of our time in the south Island. I read that Auckland is a fairly boring City. What else is worth seeing in the North? I keep hearing about geothermal places. Is there anything else worthwhile seeing there?

If I had a choice of only one island, it would be the South. It's stunning. Queenstown is a superb base for a few days. Fjordland will take a few days; longer if you're into walking, hiking or any outdoor activities, although that's true if most if the South I. Nelson is a great base for Abel Tasman, IMO a very under-rated area. Dunedin is a great base for Otage peninsula. Fox and Franz Joseph glaciers are really great places. There's just so much diversity in a relatively small island.

I could go on and on really. I guess, do one island and do it well or you'll only be moving on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

If I had 16 days I'd try to see a bit of both islands. You'll still only scratch the surface anyway.

I'd do 11-12 days on the South Island, fly to Christchurch, pick up a car at the airport and drop it off there. No need to go into the city. Then fly to Auckland and spend the remainder from there. Again hire a car if you can, forget Auckland city and head straight to Coromandel, Rotorua and Taupo from the airport (2 hours to Coromandel, 4 to Taupo)

The best mountain scenery is down South, but the best one-day walk is probably the Tongariro Crossing near Taupo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 rondemole

I did it in 15 days a few years ago, there was alot of time on the road but company was good so didnt mind, only stayed 1 night per place except queenstown, we extended that to 3 after the first night!! i went as far north as coromandel and as south as Te anau, was a great trip and did most of the usual touristy things.
    i did return home though with a feeling of having missed something, and a huge urge to return, so im off again in october for a year, but hopefully that can be extended!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

We have already booked our flights and have decided to just see the south Island. Hopefully se can look at stuff at a slower pace and embrace it more.

Advertisement