Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Shopping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Scarinae wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for what to get a small baby? My first nephew, and he'll probably be 4-6 weeks old at Christmas. I know basically nothing about kids so I'd love some ideas, and even for something that first-time parents might like
    When myself and my cousin were babies our auntie had a book written (especially) for each of us, and in the book/story, all the characters were friends/family members etc, but myself and my cousin were the main characters in our own books.

It probably sounds a bit odd, but I'm in my mid-twenties now and anytime I pull out that book and read through it, it makes me smile and its something I love and that I'll keep forever.

I have absolutely no idea how much it would even cost to get that done (or if you can get it done still), but I'd recommend looking into it and getting it done if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I have started my Christmas shopping !!!
    I just love it. But to get financial value I try to start as early as possible.

For my daughter I picked up the tall doll house which was reduced from €200 to €125.
    More to follow

For my son I got one jersey, judging by his list I'll never be finished :(
    I'm refusing point blank to buy a 7yr an iPad (ffs the world is gone mad)

For my god child I got a personalised book from the lost my name it's fab but expensive at €25! More to follow as well as a birthday gift.

For my nephew I got a set of Canterbury skins.

For husbands God child I got jersey

4 child's gifts to get yet as well as my parents, 2sisters 2brothers, and my child's childminder .

It's all a bit expensive but I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Big box of Amazon stuff has just arrived, and my shopping is done! Well, not completely done, I've got a shopping trip with some nieces in the new year, but I'm done for 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

corblimey wrote: »
    Big box of Amazon stuff has just arrived, and my shopping is done! Well, not completely done, I've got a shopping trip with some nieces in the new year, but I'm done for 2014.
    Fair play! This time last year I was done too, but this year I haven't even started planning yet. It's a bit scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just bought my first Christmas present! \o/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Hmm I'm so disorganized this year. Got my mum a W7 palette (In the buff) as a small present cos we'd both been looking at them online but couldn't find them when we went shopping, hopefully she'll forget about it. (don't know yet what to get her for her main present). Have to renew my dad's nat geo subscription. No idea about my brother, after that it's 2 grannies and a grand uncle. Both my brother and I became single during the year and a relative died so the list feels very short this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Going to have to start thinking about the christmas shopping over the weekend. Got our son a pair of pjs while over in the uk last week, that's all done so far. His birthday was only last month, he needed a bike, really it should have been for xmas but we are planning on staying with the MIL a 4 hour drive away so there's no way of hiding that in the boot so the bike had to be for birthday!
    So for him it will be small in size presents but no idea what to get him, he has all that he is into. Thinking of a lego box which is shaped like a lego brick for holding all his lego. After that no clue, as for the husband!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Aldi are starting there Christmas stuff on the 2ed november

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-2-november/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

The Dolce Gusto machines in Argos are less then half price around €64 if anyone is interested in making a coffee lovers Christmas, I've had loads of coffee machines / French presses and these really make the best home made cup of coffee with no hassle at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Do any pods work on them mark26ireland or must you stick with the nescafe ones?

• Advertisement

Anne Other wrote: »
    Do any pods work on them mark26ireland or must you stick with the nescafe ones?

I'm not to sure Anne, I think Groupon do the odd deal with compatible pods now and again but I'd stick with the Nescafe ones, the coffee is really good out of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I only have four people to buy for, but I still manage to get myself into a panic over it.

I bought my boyf's first present-a double DVD pack of Taken/Taken 2.
    I still have lots more to get but buying one present so far has really made me feel great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've decided that I'm going to get all my shopping done nice and early this year so I can enjoy the run up to Christmas more! Think I'm gonna do a bit of online shopping tonight!

leahyl wrote: »
    I've decided that I'm going to get all my shopping done nice and early this year so I can enjoy the run up to Christmas more! Think I'm gonna do a bit of online shopping tonight!

I love online shopping and I've done the majority of my Christmas shopping on Amazon.

I love curling up with a cup of tea and the debit card at the ready, browsing and putting things in my basket (I LOVE how we have a basket even though tis the interwebz!) and getting that "Thanks for your purhcase" email.
    Love it.

So handy and no need to battle through the throngs in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fussyonion wrote: »
    I love online shopping and I've done the majority of my Christmas shopping on Amazon.

I love curling up with a cup of tea and the debit card at the ready, browsing and putting things in my basket (I LOVE how we have a basket even though tis the interwebz!) and getting that "Thanks for your purhcase" email.
    Love it.

So handy and no need to battle through the throngs in December!

SNAP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I have most of my present bought just a few people left to buy for thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I had bought a few bits for my wee cousins for Xmas but ended up giving them the gifts when I saw them a few weeks ago, so now I need to start again.

I only have four people to buy for and I haven't a clue what to get three of them.

For my best friend I am going to make her a little hamper like I did last year. Just get a few bits and pieces I know she will like and put them into a little basket (that she can reuse) and maybe some clothing or something too.

For my boyfriend, I'm waiting on him to tell me what he wants, he has everything he needs/wants so I find it impossible to buy for him without some help from him.

As for the others, I haven't a clue yet, hopefully will decide soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

The easiest things to get people when you don't have a clue what to get them, is vouchers (all for one /penneys/dunnes/tescos/etc!) so your not driven tormented what to get them....
    or my aunt used to just bring me out to toy shops when I was younger and say you've 20/30 Euro to spend for a present.... so you know its something that they'd like :)

Anybody seen the ikea Christmas stuff? Was in there today and was a bit let down to be honest, homestore and more is brilliant!

Yeah, I was in Ikea the other day and I wasn't that impressed. I couldn't find many of the things on my list even though they all had 1000+ in stock according to the stock checker. I know the stock checker isn't always great but it's never off by that much. It was all spread out too which didn't help. I'm hoping that it's just a bit early.

• Advertisement

Young lad was saying he was looking for a race track, scaletix (sp) from Santa. I remember getting him a small one years ago (probably a cheap one) but it never really worked.

We were at a local fundraising sale of work/auction yesterday and there was a massive race track there. Good enough condition too. Said sure not harm if we get it cheap..

Unfortunately himself seen it on the display :(. And Hubbie won it for €22!

We may have to say it's our gift to him from us (which we normally get him something from us as well as Santa gift). He doesn't know we got it but he will recognise it, he's too smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Could you keep it and give it to him for his birthday?

His birthday is not til next Sept!

I've still only purchased one present. In a mild panic wondering if I'll be able to get everything but then I keep reminding myself it's only early November and sure I'm probably ahead of most people, anyway.

Gonna buy two or three pressies this week and carry that on each week til I have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Yeah, I was in Ikea the other day and I wasn't that impressed. I couldn't find many of the things on my list even though they all had 1000+ in stock according to the stock checker. I know the stock checker isn't always great but it's never off by that much. It was all spread out too which didn't help. I'm hoping that it's just a bit early.
    Oh no way haven't made a trip yet, I don't like the sounds of it all not together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

fussyonion wrote: »
    I've still only purchased one present. In a mild panic wondering if I'll be able to get everything but then I keep reminding myself it's only early November and sure I'm probably ahead of most people, anyway.

Gonna buy two or three pressies this week and carry that on each week til I have everything.

I have 2 complete presents,then I've 3 that I need other little bits to go with, I really need to see what decorations I have we moved so this is the first year in a bigger place, I didnt put up a tree last year I just put up some decorations around our old place last year

SarahLil wrote: »
    Oh no way haven't made a trip yet, I don't like the sounds of it all not together!

They have all the decorations and stuff at the end as usual but they have other things dotted around different departments.

If anyone is looking to buy toys, I think Argos might be started their 3 for 2 again this week. I think I read that in Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Christmas present shopping is now complete!! Just need to get some clothes.

Got some lovely Christmas decorations in Home Store and More.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Ooooh really want to make a trip to home sore and more. Didn't realize how amazing that place is until recently! I thought it was like Harvey Norman from it's ads.

Shopping going not so great.
    Have part of my mum and part of my dad done. Know what I'm getting them.

Nothing for my brother yet (might get him a shirt)

Need something for the two grandmothers (not a clue)

And something for a granduncle, who it transpires has been not opening his presents and just storing them in a box room for years. Dunno what to do about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just discovered the Boots.ie website. I was going crazy trying to find a cheaper alternative to that new-fangled Clinque super sonic brush
    so and lo and behold, Boots stock a nice one by Olay! Ordered it for t'mammy and it should be arriving in the mail by Monday or Tuesday. Also, free delivery on orders over €50!
    All I need to do now is pick up a Xmas gift for my aunt and I'm sorted!:D

Advertisement