Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Single strand/Oligo structure

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:13am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Designing oligos and looking for structure prediction programmes online. The only one I can find is the following: http://rna.urmc.rochester.edu/RNAstructureWeb/Servers/Predict1/Predict1.html

Does anyone know are there any others available. My background is originally in Proteins and there is an abundance of protein structure predictors available but DNA/RNA/nucleotide sequence structure predictors seem to be in short supply.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A better question is that I want to measure distance in the folded state of the oligo between the first and last nucleotide, is there anything that has this possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I find IDT's Oligo Analyzer tool very good for looking at hairpin structures in DNA oligos.

For looking at RNA, you have found the most widely used tool (m-Fold). Another useful tool that I have used is RNA-fold at U Vienna.

I don't think these allow you to calculate distances. The major problem here is that these folding programs only give 2-D structures. Of course these molecules do not fold in 2-D, so anything that you used to measure distances would be inaccurate anyways.

One way of doing would be to have a look at PDB files that contain protein-RNA complexes - that might give you some feel for the distance.

If all else fails, go back to the fact that 10 bases of dsDNA is 3.4nm in length and work from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I find IDT's Oligo Analyzer tool very good for looking at hairpin structures in DNA oligos.

Brilliant, I actually order all my oligos from them, can't believe I missed that.

Much appreciated

Advertisement