Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dog barking,separation anxiety

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

deadwood85 wrote: »
    i don't have weeks or months to re-train her,as we will be asked to leave the apartment,,

That's what it may take op... I'm suggesting that you dig deep and be prepared to fork out for daycare until the problem is resolved... She can't annoy the neighbours if she's not there!
    Just until you have her in a happier place when she's alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

DBB wrote: »
    Jayney op... 5 hours is a lot to ask for a dog to remain in the confines of a crate. Seriously, that's not good. Her anxiety may be worse because she has negative associations with being in the crate for too long... If she's bursting for a pee, if she has a dodgy tummy, what's she meant to do?
    A playpen would be a first, vital step... She needs to be able to move about freely while you're gone.
    If, despite getting help in real life from a properly qualified behaviourist (ie one who does not follow either Jan Fennell or Cesar Milan's misguided theories, but uses evidence-led techniques), you cannot resolve this problem because of time constraints, then you need to take a long look at what's best for your little dog in the long run.
    But that's a last step. Please, for your wee dog, get some outside help in. And get a playpen, leaving her crated for as long as you are is not an option, and with all due respect is abuse of the crate and how they're meant to be used properly and ethically.

She has no problem with her crate at all she stays in it when we are there she goes into it by herself, its her home its huge and full of her toys she,,i don't know what u think the the crate is for she can easily stay in it for up to 7hrs,she is completely toilet trained and can go on command so thats not a problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm just going to come out with it OP, as you don't seem to be interesting in taking any of the very good advice given to you by DBB, what are you going to do about your problem?

And for the record, you can be sure that if anyone here knows what a crate is for, it's DBB ;)

Are you going to engage with a recommended behaviourist because that is really the only option you have, besides rehoming, if you are going to deal with this properly and in the best interest of your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

Toulouse wrote: »
    I'm just going to come out with it OP, as you don't seem to be interesting in taking any of the very good advice given to you by DBB, what are you going to do about your problem?

And for the record, you can be sure that if anyone here knows what a crate is for, it's DBB ;)

Are you going to engage with a recommended behaviourist because that is really the only option you have, besides rehoming, if you are going to deal with this properly and in the best interest of your dog.

shock collar ordered, thanks DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

I really shouldn't of gave any advice on something I'm not properly qualified on , best of luck now with the whole situation I'll leave it to the experts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In that case op, you didn't deserve the time or genuine care that people gave you in this thread. Your thanks to me is not accepted.
    I know what a crate is for op, but more's the point I know what it's not for, and that is that it should never, ever be used as a prison. That is abuse of what is meant to be an ethical, dog-friendly training tool. Your pup is in it, you say, for 5 hours a day, then again at night? For what? 8 hours? That's more than half of her life spent locked in a box.
    That, op, is abuse of the crate, and that, op, is cruel.
    Rehome your poor puppy before you destroy her with anxiety.

With mod hat on now, I don't believe you deserve the right of reply given your trollish, selfish, lazy, best-advice-ignoring final post.
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement