Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Court Summons Delivery Question

• 22-08-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 gentleman88

I just moved to Scotland. I got a phone call that the guards were at my house in Ireland, and my mother told me there was a summons delivered through the post about a motoring offence in April.

The summons was delivered through the post box, and noone officially received it, nor signed for it.

Is this a legal delivery?

The reason I've put two and two together is that they proceeded to drive up my road and ask neighbours about my whereabouts. I thought this was odd, seeing as it was a minor driving offence?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭ godtabh

Doesnt have to be registered post. Sounds like the Garadi were serving a summons or a warrant

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ theenergy

ring up the local cop shop and ask them outstraight

face up to it...

trust me!!! a whole lot better in the long run... speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gentleman88

I called and was told that the relevant officers would call me back in relation to it. I mean, it doesn't make sense for me to chase them up so they can put me through legal proceedings surely?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭ godtabh

I called and was told that the relevant officers would call me back in relation to it. I mean, it doesn't make sense for me to chase them up so they can put me through legal proceedings surely?

I suppose a conviction in your absence doesnt matter as long as you are in Scotland. it'll never come back to bite you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gentleman88

godtabh wrote: »
    I suppose a conviction in your absence doesnt matter as long as you are in Scotland. it'll never come back to bite you

Aha, I sense a smattering of sarcasm. :) I'm probably going to receive a call this evening, so I hope to clear things up, but I just wonder how legal their delivery was. Also, I didn't like finding out via neighbours calling wondering what they were doing around. You'd like to think they would be less clumsy with information. Thanks for your time though guys!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Tom Young

It might be worth a call or a flight. These things need to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭ Pat Mustard

Is this a legal delivery?

Get your mother to drop the summons into a good local District Court Practitioner, to check whether there has been a defect in service. You should be able to communicate with the solicitor via email/phone while this is checked out.

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/0c609d7abff72c1c80256d2b0045bb64/232ac051a1832bfe80257c900044b452?OpenDocument

Advertisement