Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - CAPTAINS DAY 20th September 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Who won?

The biggest bandit 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Ftp was 2 under after seven........not only did wheels come off but the chassis warped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Ernie Els

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Ftp was 2 under after seven........not only did wheels come off but the chassis warped too.

I use to like the lad above........

lads, being under par for too long . Don't do it.

felt physically sick under. Not going there again.

But 36 points on a boards outing. Not at the races.

• Advertisement

Lads anybody know where the swinging hen party are going.

Charlie - what a man.

Eating a steak - writing ;) a speech - doing excel - organising prizes.
    Charlie - a stoic year.

So - mad night and day, only group of people in the world, that when you run out of conversation , you can turn to golf. Bleeding golf nerds.

The highlight was the hen party getting golf lessons - you obviously had to lend a hand. :p - Get inside - Get inside :D

Then - the pub golf game, where if you take a swing, you have to do a shot - you had to be there - Paulo - got me big time, wouldn't mind , I was doing his legend back foot short game. Baby Guinness each .

I asked the bar man - is there a pub where there is no tourists - the look we got when we walked in - they all turned to each other and said " Golf ****".

Had 3 birdies - one of the lads said - not good enough - Rolliomissins (or something) had 4. I said - but he looks like Paul Brady. Class musician and golfer. Cool bloke too.

I use to think you need to be a little nasty to win , that edge - but got it all wrong - the top 3 lads are the nicest lads you can ever meet - I guess that is why one of them had black feathers rapped around his neck by a hen :p - him saying to her.
    "You know I had 40 + points".

The golf society lacks any sense of logic - it is something you do for a while meet a few golfers and try meet them for a game. A nationwide golf society requires a level of impractical commitment.
    But - it is just too hard to resist.

Mount Juilet is a stunning place to visit and play - Yes the course has a bad run from 4 - but , you just feel you are somewhere special. The rough is cut back too much and makes the round too enjoyable - but nice to get the big stick out with impunity on occasion. When can you meet lads that genuinely love golf as you. They all want to improve and there is genuine sense of good will for you - as a golfer. And you know what - we are improving. The iterations are sometimes difficult to see - but you see something from every golfer and it goes into the back of your mind. I'm ready to be under par next time :D

So with so many points and pints on board - there was talk of some of the lads joing a few clubs as distance members and entering the Pierce Purcel. God help Spanish Point.

Felt genuinely sorry for Tiger - he honestly looked like he was shattered as the sun set on a perfect day on the practice ground - the same practice ground that the unreal Tiger has played on. But - Macker is a class golfer - we stayed to watch the last groups come in and you know what. Like a real golf tournament - the players playing well - you can see them - they are in the last few groups for a reason. 18 there, is a savage golf hole from any tee for anybody - and the lads were all in or around par in last group - well except one :)

So - thanks lads - can't make too many outings next year . Going to try take on club golf and all the ins and outs of that.

Well done to all and the committee. Fantastic what you have built. It is going to be cyclical by nature - but there is nothing wrong with that either.

Catch ye again. (Watch - next boards outing :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well lads, another great day out (& night) with the boards crew.

Was tight at the business end of the GOTY standings. Tiger pushed Macker all the way but he managed to just hold on in the end.

Had the pleasure of the top 3 lads for playing partners & it was very enjoyable company.

Shot of the day was without doubt macker's approach to the 4th to leave about a 6" birdie putt. Game was slightly off today but still scrambled well & got enough on the board to get over the line.

Tiger, I know didn't feel he played his best stuff but was rock steady the whole way round with no scratches on the card. if a few more putts had dropped may well have pipped macker in the end. I said to him that I didnt see any real weaknesses in his game & it's true, won't be long before the handicap starts to tumble.

3 putt had just a few too many offline drives which made getting into the scoring positions tough. Showed very nice touch with the short game & again had a few unlucky putts lip out. A bit of work over the winter & I'd say there's a win on the cards for next year's outings.

I had a cracking round myself yesterday, was chuffed with my golf. I hit 2 bad shots the whole way round & got away with both. A pull hook hybrid off the tee on 4 & a pull hook hybrid 2nd on the par 5 5th. Other than that I didn't really put a foot wrong. Didn't miss a single putt inside 6ft & got up & down well.

42 points
    78 strokes
    1 Birdie
    10 Pars
    7 Bogeys

2 of those bogeys were down to 3 putts but I underclubbed my approach to long greens & first putts were both the guts of 30 yards so not beating myself up too badly.

Matched my best ever round so was great to do it at mount Juliet & on the captains day.

Congratulations to big easy on the win, always has a smile on his face on the course & good to see another name in the winners enclosure.

Thanks again to Charlie for organising another great outing & a great years work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

34 points off 14 for me yesterday.
    Got off to a poor start with 3 points through 3 holes but steadied the ship from there. Struck my irons nicely and putted well, no 3 putt but did miss a few make able birdie putts...
    My first boards outing and didn't meet many of ye outside of my playing partners as I had to head after the round, thoroughly enjoyed it thanks to the 3 sound lads I was out with, charlie, ben1977 and phkk. Ben played some super golf and was unlucky to to take the spoils...
    Hope to make a few more next year, fair play to charlie for all the hard work behind the scenes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Had a very enjoyable day and night with all the boards lads, it was good to get to know some of you a bit better. Had a bad start to the day with the road closure and genuinely thought I wasn't going to make my tee time. Got to see a lot of the Kilkenny countryside, though I didn't really appreciate it at the time :pac:

When I finally arrived, didn't have any time to hit the putting green, so straight to the first tee but that didn't work out too badly :D Stroked it really well all day apart from pushing my 6 foot birdie putt on the par 3 6th. Course was beautifully framed and set in a serene part of our beautiful country. It was very forgiving off the tee and while I didn't drive brilliantly, I was always far enough out to have a shot into the green.

Thanks to scubapro, roadrunner and bobster453 for the pleasant company throughout the round even if bob was trying to needle me ;) We missed you on the night out bob and leave the ducks alone! :p

Knew I had 36 points playing the last three and thought if I could finish with 3 bogies for 41 points that would be very competitive, good job I threw in a par :pac: Was expecting a few to break 40 (that's forty or higher stevie) as conditions were so benign and as roadrunner said a few might have been out practicing, I certainly was :p

Some people's arithmetic may need a little work :p First I'd won, then there was a 43 in, then it was level, then I'd lost again and finally I'd won, I nearly choked on my burger (I actually did when holeinone told the waitress we were like a bunch of peadophiles!)

I felt bad pipping space as he's a sound fella but aren't we all ;) Well done to Ben, my roommate, as well on third. The highlights were rolling in two lovely birdie putts and making five on the index 1 after going in the water trying the hero shot. I had no three putts and 25 putts but one pick up.

I hadn't planned a winning speech :pac: so I forgot to thank charlie and the committee for all their hard-work throughout the year. Much appreciated guys, as the society is a great way for guys like me, without a club, to play some semi-competitive golf and get to know some like-minded souls, although you don't want to think the same as some :p

Thanks also for a great prize, a Garmin S1, and the trophy is a great touch, it will take pride of place somewhere (no mantle-piece :()

Some of the hens had lovely swings ;) Did you ever consider going in to coaching Fix, you seem to have a natural flair for it.

A great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Thanks to my playing partners charlieIRL, Benny Cake and phkk during the Captains Day. It was a long round but I really didn't notice as I was in fine company. Big thanks to charlieIRL and the committee for all the thankless work this year.
    What can I say, there couldn't be a better course to play on captains day. Still can't get over the size of some of the greens, beautiful place and super weather to match. Played well and squeezed into 3rd spot. Congrats to Macker1 on his golfer of the year, Tiger please forgive me. :) Congrats to The Big Easy, great golf young man.
    What happens in Kilkenny stays in Kilkenny. All I'll say is it was great to met some new faces and have a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great day out with ye all.

Mount Juliet is a fabulous golf course! Big Kudos to Charlie for organising all the events this year and most of all for having his Captains day at MJ this year. Kieran has got a lot to live up to for his day next year.... St. Andrews maybe ? ;)

My golf just wasnt there unfortunately. Hit the ball pretty good, but the putter let me down. Starting birdie, birdie was a bad omen, lol.
    But I had a very enjoyable round with golfgraffix, holeinone and Bally..... I mean Paulos! :D

Wish I could have stayed with ye all, but was worth going home to see my dad play his best golf for 2 years today out in Athlone.

Best of luck to everyone who qualified for the Ryder Jug. Those of us who were on the team for the last 2 years have set a precedent that we don't want broken! :D

Charlie hardly let slip who was getting the final pick after a couple of Jaeger bombs last night, did he ? ;)

I laughed out loud at that post Big Easy.

BTW - sorry scrubber for walking ahead off you on 13 - was on another planet at times yesterday (for good and bad reasons)

Also wanted to see how lads were getting on in big group - but they all looked a bit nervous and cagey. Even at that stage they could all still win it - amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

Only got back to a PC this evening so here is a few short words and pictures.

Really enjoyed the Captains Day Outing to Mount Juliet. Brought the curtain down on what has been a great year of outings with a great selection of courses fine weather to top it off. Really fine job all year from the Captain and his hard working committee.

As always it goes without saying that the banter both online and on-course within the Boards Society is quite unique and it has been a great experience for me to have played with so many like minded golfers who enjoy playing different courses.

I had the pleasure of playing with Tiger, 3putt and Spacecoyote. We all had a chance to land GOTY :eek::eek: but at all times the encouragement was there from each player to one another within the group.

The display of golf that Space demonstrated was top-notch and he was very unlucky not to to take first place.

Many congratulations to The Big Easy on his fantastic win shooting a great score on such a memorable course.

IMG_20140920_175544592_zps6be6765e.jpg
    Tiger's Watch acting up again
    IMG_20140920_175309787_zpsa0aa0f66.jpg
    The 18th Tee
    IMG_20140920_170256111_zpsf4256afc.jpg
    The Three Amigos
    IMG_20140920_154821826_zpse18d8f9f.jpg
    Anyone for Sand
    IMG_20140920_133738555_zps7d2e4138.jpg
    Picture says it all HELP !!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Looking forward to the Ryder Jug and then bring on 2015

Thanks Folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Fair play Charlie, super day, super course, fair play to macker for winning GOTY, and thebigeasy, youll have to give me a putting lesson someday:)deadly banter at night!! Serious crack had by all, myself and RoadRunner had the bright idea of getting a pizza at 330am, locked, best idea ever!! awoken at 8 today to the sound of thunder or so i thought, oh it was just fix snoring, haha sharing a room with lads off the internet!! haha gas!!
    What happened the 2's money? :D

dar - didn't want to mention 2s - as I genuinely can't remember if I got money or not. Wouldn't mind - pulled 8 iron on 3.

Rolatomasi - class getting 2 2s around there - and Space got one too.

Space was just thinking earlier on - is there any way you could bring the dance moves into your pre shot routine - I'm looking for a routine myself.

The amount of laughing 3putt did was class - and also , there was a man with a constant smile on his face - enough sad.

BTW - what hole did you get to in that game Charlie - I haven't come up with a name for it yet. "WHAT DID YOU GET ON THE 6th! " "WHAT WAS THAT HOLE" " DID YOU HAVE A BIRDE"

lol - don't know what the people must have made of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well it was great to be back at MJ for obvious reasons. I'll be down again at Christmas but unfortunately won't get to the golf course as it will be our annual pilgrimage to see Santa :)

I knew I had to do really well yesterday and I knew my game just isn't there at the moment, so I wasn't expecting much, but for a good while I was steady. Save for a few silly mistakes, I should have come home with about 36, so I was delighted to see that would have got me nowhere, because 42 (no matter how easy the place was playing) is a savage score so well done to Big Easy, and of course the close runners up.

Well done to Charlie and Co for another great year and thanks to all you fellow boardsies for making it so enjoyable. Highlight of the day for me was unfortunately a sucker punch for Ballyk, on 11 he stitched it to 215cm for the nearest the pin, and barely a minute later I hit a sweet wedge to 210cm. As any of those hens would testify... it's a game of inches ;) Of course I duly missed the putt!! Anyway, great prize Charlie (and I don't mean the extra large condom), so many thanks for that and I guess it means I will be back next year... try and keep me away!

Thanks to Johnny to for organising the hotel so I was happy to leave you in the double bed but when I was first to bed I spotted your spare pillow..........

All I remember was I was just about in dream land, the two lads came in and were yapping away, then I hear this "The dirty bastard robbed me pillow"........

great year, great day, great location and a great night lads... roll on next year and best of luck to all the guys in the jug

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great to hear you had a good day and night Charlie. Well done on a great year and time to sit back and enjoy your golf from now on. The work you put in pre
    and post events was beyond the call.

Congrats to Macker and The Big Easy (who defied logic with a Mayo man coming away happy after the 3rd weekend in September ;))

Think I spotted that Kieran is next years captain? If so, a great choice and the best of luck Kieran. If anyone sums up what the boards golf society is all about, it's yourself.

Unfortunately the days off at the weekends caught up on me this year. Too many commitments with weddings, christenings, family do's caught up. Last weekend being only the second free weekend in the last 12...And more to follow.

A lot of my mates got brave this summer so I'll have to see what dates are on the invoices for next year. Will try to cram in as many outings as possible, how do you get to Monaghan??? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I sat down a few times to type this up yesterday but decided to wait as I wanted to get it right, head and body was still wrecked from that fantastic weekend. What a way to top off the year.

An excellent year followed up with an excellent round of golf and topped off with one of the best / funniest nights out I’ve had in years. Thankfully the whole year went off without any hitches and everyone seemed to enjoy every course we’ve played. The weather helped a lot through the year as well. From the first drive in Esker Hills to the last putt in the majestic Mount Juliet I hope everyone enjoyed the golf as much as I did.

Mount Juliet, what a course. 2nd, 3rd & 4th holes are absolutely fantastic. I started off very well with a par on the first and second, followed by a “lay up” on the 3rd but made bogey and same on the 4th after putting the driver back in the bag and taking an iron – had a few moments of sense in my round. My game ground to a halt shortly after that and a run of doubles ruined my card. I’ve only hit one bunker in my last 4 or 5 rounds and the lack of sand practice was compounded on the 17th when I hit a greenside bunker with my 3rd and take 3 shots to get out of it!! When I did I was nearly off the far side of the green. Duffed two shots in a row on the 18th to take away any chance of finishing on a decent note. I know the game is there just to iron out these very silly mistakes. One positive from the round is that my putter has started to work for me again, the 30mins on the putting green helped a lot.

Saturday night, what a great night!! The poor hens didn’t know what hit them!! Many thanks for all the pints / shots too, appreciate it lads. Thankfully the head wasn’t too sore yesterday morning and once the breakfast roll was on board I was sorted!! Goes to show what golf nuts we are, from the start to the end of the night it was golf, golf, golf and some more golf chat!! Many thanks to holeinone for organising the hotel too, top job.

So, unfortunately my year has Captain of this fantastic society has come to an end, it went way too fast and I honestly would love to do it every year!! I said it Saturday and I’ll say it again – many many thanks to each and every one of you for coming out and making the society what it is today. Without the support of each and every one of you these outings wouldn’t be possible. I want to thank each and every one of you from all of us here. Onwards and upwards to next year, let the good times continue.

Charlie.

One last very important bit of business is to officially announce next years Captain to all here - Kiers47

Hon Tipp!!!!

Hopefully ye will all be back again next year to support Kiers, I know i will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlieIRL wrote: »
    One last very important bit of business is to officially announce next years Captain to all here - Kiers47

Hon Tipp!!!!

Hopefully ye will all be back again next year to support Kiers, I know i will.

How do I dig my way outta that..., :)

A "Hon Tipp" might do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

What a day , what a night , what a year.

Only still recovering now from the night out but what a night. Mad bunch we are . From the games that fix had going in the pub ,(did you make it round the 18 holes Charlie?)to the robot dance moves on the floor from space. Crazy night. Look forward to doing it again next year.

Didn't play my best yesterday but really enjoyed the course and the banter me , macker , tiger and space had going round. Well done to macker on GOTY well deserved . Tiger had such a good round aswell and to lose GOTY by 8 points is hard. Space will be a single figure golfer in no time. Some of the shots he hit where class. The par on the 3rd I think after putting his first in the stream was unreal.

A big thank you to Charlie and the committee for all the hard work that goes in. It really is appreciated by us all. A great year with brilliant courses from start to finish.

Congratulations to the big easy on a great win aswell . 42 points around there is great shooting.

Looking forward to the Ryder jug now . See yous in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Sorry only getting to post now but a big thank you to our captain Charlie for a fantastic day on Saturday. Had the pleasure of playing with great company in my favourite course so a big thank you to CharlieIrl,Ben1977 and BennyCake. Played well, had 36points but a little disappointed to scratch 18. I was level after 5 and going well-should have been 1 under after close chip on 5 and failed to convert for birdie. Few brain farts on few holes and was lucky to make bogeys on certain holes but hung in and was happy to play to my handicap. Ben played great and was knocking them close-a joy to watch. Benny hit some wonderful shots-great iron player and won't be off 14 for much longer. Charlie has a great swing and started really well-some very good up and downs and putting was good. Bunkers cost you Sat is all. Afraid I didn't make it in Saturday night but sounds like everyone had a great night-delighted to hear that Kilkenny's nocturnal activities provided plenty of entertainment!
    Well done to the winner, 42pts was some going and of course 2nd and Ben in 3rd. Congrats to all who've made the Ryder jug team. Well done to all on making this such a success and once again to Charlie, a fine turnout which was a tribute to yourself as captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Well what a day and what a venue from the word go there was a great buzz on the practice ground with everbody looking forward to playing this magical course. I walked up to the 1st having swung it beautifully the previous two nights in the driving range with a casey like swagger. Having tee it up with macker before in gowran i had,nt the pleasure of playing with 3putt or space so was,nt sure what to expect. The fact that space tee it up last i foolishly presumed his hcp was greater that 23 putting his boomer straight down the middle of the 1st to a bit of luck, took me till 14th to realise his real hcp(thought he was a absolute bandit:)). But walking off the 3rd with a par and having felt i rode my luck a bit to start with a couple of boggies i reckoned i was going to have to play out of my skin to hang on to the these lads coat tails and then on the 4th macker produced a superb birdie where i diced with the water. Have to say the vibe between the lads was brille and even thought i was stuck in 2nd gear i was really enjoying it. But by the time we got to 13th i had accepted the inevatible but i am not sure what happened on that hole whether macker seen the sadness in my eyes:( and decided to give me a chance but all of sudden macker,s train came off the rails and just as i was about to put the sword in along came that big hitting b***** ben:pac: on white white horse from the long grass in dunmuray to save macker's bacon:pac::pac::pac:. But to be fair and serious for a sec with two wins and a lower hcp he was deserved winner:rolleyes:. there is always next year but reckon 3putt {a virtual rookie to the game}will have the smart money on him for next year. Thanks to charlie and all the commitee for setting up a great year of golf, full steam ahead to the jug hopefully the weather stays good. ps charlie when will you be selecting your wildcards ?.

ill be more interested in pairing . some top pairings gone.

I wouldn't fancy playing with me,

feck Ryder Cup thread, there should be a more important Ryder Jug thread. :p

feck Ryder Cup thread, there should be a more important Ryder Jug thread. :p

Its on its way!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He cant make a Ryder Jug thread until he announces his final pick :D

Rikand wrote: »
    He cant make a Ryder Jug thread until he announces his final pick :D

Am just waiting on confirmation that everyone who has qualified is available on the day.

I've even my provisional pairings done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Am just waiting on confirmation that everyone who has qualified is available on the day.

I've even my provisional pairings done!!

I wonder is McGinley even that well prepared :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

That was the most enjoyable event if the year for me, really loved the course and company was top class.

Some great short game stuff from Rikand and Paulos and although Johhny didnt have the greatest score some of his golf was quite good, he has a great attitude on the course, I could take a leaf from his book.

Had one of those 33 point rounds that could easily have been 38, dropped 6 shots on the last 4 holes to pure brain farts.

Was raging I had to leave at 10pm, had a real goo on my for some pints. Had to walk back through the town to get the car and saw nothing but leggy hens !!!

Well done to Charlie and all the committee

Advertisement