Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rates for phototgraphing a birthday event

• 16-08-2014 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, i have been asked to photograph someone's 21st birthday party which is being held in a club. I live in the south east and travel costs don't matter because i live in the same place pretty much. So i am just wondering how i would go about pricing the event. Is there a certain average price or what is the way i go about this? the time in all will be roughly 2 to 3 hours of staying at the party photographing the night.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It all depends. Time, processing time, how many photos, what editing needs to be done to photos, never mind the normal costs with being a photographer - gear, insurance, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

€60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Im not a professional as i don't make a living from photography, but think about it logically.

What do you need your hourly rate to be to make it worthwhile?

Now work out:
    -Travel time (if applicable)
    -Time taking photos
    -Time processing photos
    -time meeting with client (hour or two based on my experience)
    -expenses (insurance, fuel, lunch, road tolls, bus/luas, ink, paper, DVD's etc etc)

(Total hours x rate per hour) + expenses - any discount you want to give = cost

Minimum wage is 8.65 so you want to be getting that at an absolute minimum, and really you need to be asking for more. your time is worth more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

€60

I would have said €300. :D

Paulw wrote: »
    I would have said €300. :D
    We work at 2 diff ends of the scales...
    You have a back up job....and can afford to be picky.
    I don't and find €60 for 2 hours work a doddle and go along the lines of word of mouth may get more.
    Also these days every 3rd person has a Camera so 'nixers' are that much harder to get unless you throw in the juciy bait of reasonable.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

We work at 2 diff ends of the scales...
    You have a back up job....and can afford to be picky.
    I don't and find €60 for 2 hours work a doddle and go along the lines of word of mouth may get more.
    Also these days every 3rd person has a Camera so 'nixers' are that much harder to get unless you throw in the juciy bait of reasonable.

:)

Undercutting only works to a point, after which your probably working for less than you would get on dole/minimum wage, and/or for less than your total expenses.

Worse, you end up in a situation where to compete, people have to undercut co much that the arse falls out of the market. Its going that way with photography and has already happened in the live music world, where some pubs will actually charge a fee for a band to play there. This happens with new bands that dont have any real following, and even after they get some experience, the only way the band can then recoup what they can with a fee on the door.

OP said no travel costs...
    So for 2-3 hours work and if you know ur PP well it's 60 that can't be sniffed at.

That doesn't mean I would turn down 80 or a 100 :P

Advertisement